• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Surprises in the mail

G

(No worries Doug, not another embarrassing package headed your way).

Back from the Post Office (keep an eye out Waterdog) I found a package in the mailbox from Brad, a copy of The Hatterasman.

Thanks Brad, I may move it to the top of the bedside pile and start it tonight.

In these times of shelter in place such gestures are especially thoughtful, and appreciated. I will pay it forward.

At various times I've been surprised to receive in my rural mailbox a piece of astroturf, a paddling map of Assateague Island and a map of campsites on Little Tupper Lake. All from some obscure town in Maryland that is 30 miles south of nothing in particular. The bigger surprise was that the mailman would actually reach into my mailbox . . . as it's filled with gunk, rot, mice and decapitated baby birds.

I bought that book several years ago Mike whilst vacationing on the Outer Banks with the fam. I think I found it in the gift shop next to the Hatteras lighthouse? I love that slice of Americana along the storm battered coast. On walks along the beach or through the villages I'd stop and close my eyes and try to picture those sandy isles before all the seasonal vacationers moved in. This book helped me do that. More than once perusing its pages I thought of you, wondering if you'd appreciate the close up and down home glimpse of their local history. Enjoy.
Sending best wishes to you and yours Mike (and everyone here) to stay safe and healthy.

Last edited:
I bought that book several years ago Mike whilst vacationing on the Outer Banks with the fam.

Brad, I hope you had opportunity to paddle some of the protected marsh and maritime forest behind those barrier islands. I’m not a beachfront denizen; blowing sand, unrelenting sun, too many people. The backside is where it’s at for me.

OK, Glenn. I gotta ask.why do you have decapitated baby birds in your mailbox?

I have been told that the decapitated fledging heads are arrayed inside an elaborate pentagram and that, Medusa-like, looking inside Glenn’s mailbox will turn you to stone unless you sell your soul to the devil. Which doesn’t seem like much of a bargain in return for some Astro-turf and as yet unsticky pages of Victoria’s Secret catalogs.

At various times I've been surprised to receive in my rural mailbox a piece of astroturf, a paddling map of Assateague Island and a map of campsites on Little Tupper Lake. All from some obscure town in Maryland that is 30 miles south of nothing in particular.

I still hope to someday receive a copy of a secret, closely held, hand drawn map of the Sparkleberry Swamp. GPS-less me will still get lost there, but I like being lost, and will perhaps at least be able to find high ground to camp on a WTF figure things out.

I’ll probably see a Skid Plate Poll on Canoe Tripping before that happens.

I got a participation award from Mike yesterday, well actually, two of them, thanks Mike, I wasn't even aware I was in the draw, lol.

"Brad, I hope you had opportunity to paddle some of the protected marsh and maritime forest behind those barrier islands. I’m not a beachfront denizen; blowing sand, unrelenting sun, too many people. The backside is where it’s at for me."

Mike I've been to the OBX three times, the1st being a buddy fishing trip, the following two trips were with wife and kids. All were spectacularly memorable, and all for the right reasons. Strangely enough we didn't see hoards/herds of people/sheeple apart from a day or two per trip. At times I wondered what tourists knew that we didn't? Mind you I avoided the tourist magnets and parked my arse in the sand and feet in the water most of every day. A trip or three to the Avon Red Lion for supplies and I was good to not go...anywhere except back to my bum print at the waters edge. A late night beach fire was cool. Watching the stars slide by listening to the surf roll in. No matter how late I'd stay up keeping the hermit crabs company I'd be sure to rise before the dawn. Those sunrises are awe inspiring. Peachy pink blush softly spreading through the hazy blue as the stars go out one...by one...by one...Never got a chance to paddle. I wanted to check out the nature reserve and commune with the local wildlife. There were no takers in our extended family group and I didn't feel like going solo. But I do know what you mean, there's so much wildlife on the sound side in tidal reaches. I missed out on that.

Last edited:
Back