• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Paddle Sports Exempted from Maryland Governor's Stay at Home Executive Order

Reaction score
Maryland has put out guidance about exceptions to Governor Hogan's stay at home order. The order exempts going out for exercise and kayaking and paddle boarding are expressly mentioned as forms of exercise is the guidance. Canoeing isn't mentioned but I am interpreting that to be included in "exercise" too. So at least I can go out and paddle rather than go stir-crazy in Maryland. Social distancing and limits on gathering sizes must still be observed, but in my 16 foot tandem, I can probably even have a bow paddler (if I can find one).

Curious if others in states (or in Canada) with stay at home orders have similar guidance. Of course, for some of you it is a moot point because you are still dealing with hard water.

Here's a link to the guidance and an excerpt.

https://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2020/0...at-home-order/

Can I go boating?

Recreational boating is prohibited until the governor lifts the executive order or until the State of Emergency has ended. However, if an individual is boating to seek food for them or their family, boating is permitted. Boats used to transport essential employees or goods as defined in the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency’s Guidance on the Essential Critical Infrastructure Workforce are also permitted.

Does kayaking or paddle boarding count as recreational boating?

Since kayaking and paddle boarding are a form of exercise, they are permitted under the executive order. Guidance on social distancing and the prohibition on social gatherings must be strictly followed.

Tragic story. 40 year old mom and 8 year old son jumped in a canoe to retrieve a ball. Very high winds. Couldn’t get back.

In MN so far all boating is allowed but you're not supposed to travel all over to do it. Keep close to home.

Makes sense. I'm wondering if accommodations will be made for BWCA permits if issuers are all closed.

You might check in at www.bwca.com. There is a possibility that the law will enforce you to stay put in one spot and alone for quarantine and this would be really hard with accommodations closed. Lets hope this blows over in a month.

Sorry slip of finger. Tennessee has no strict policy in place. Some stores have closed, and others has limited hours. Me and the misses took the boat out yesterday in search of some crappie food. But all I hauled in were blue gills. Lots of people on the lake, but I didn't see any social gatherings. I expect the company I work for to close after this coming week.

Back