• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Coronavirus, shop friends and hard decisions

G

I was really looking forward to having friend Chip up to the shop for a day of making DIY dry bags. Chip bought the last of the discounted heat sealable Packcloth (thanks again Dan) and he wanted to make a couple or three custom dry bags. With making new templates and some wait time for things to cool or set up that’s a decent day’s work. I’d be gloriously free of ironing duties and could just lay out the next materials, drink beer and supervise. Life is good.

And, while the iron was hot and the big table out, I have a couple more DIY dry bags to make as well; yet another ALPS bag for yet another friend (that’s a half dozen folks sold on those sturdy big boy chairs), the raffle prize dry bag and an oddball custom smaller bag. The latter two will need new templates cut.

Although it only happens a few times a year I relish those rare times working with friends in the shop, repairing boats or making stuff, and had already laid out the big ironing table, template Visqueen and fence for Chip and Mike’s Day of Dry Bag Fun.

I was going to pull out (and couch pillow stuff) some custom tapered dry bags, figuring that once Chip saw how easy cylindrical DIY dry bags are to make he would later go to town on his own making other stuff; custom tapered bags for his sea kayak or a Tripper-sized stern taper.

But there is not much “social distancing” possible while working together in the shop, unless I hide in the office and shout instructions through the Louie De Palma interior window. Which can be fun, especially when shouting through an exhaust fan in that window for the wubbawubbawwubba effect.

P2260574 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

After some discussion we decided this was not the time to play Mary Mallon, AKA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Mallon

Absent shop friends, another unforeseen part of this pandemic. I’ve got a month or two before Joel shows up, maybe we’ll wear masks and face shields, and dodge for distance.

I would still paddle in solo boats, spaced well apart from a companion, but distancing during bankside leg stretchers and eddied boat muckle-ups would be challenging, and on any shuttle they might need to ride in the bed of the truck.

Same here. I only really have one friend that I regularly paddle with. He is in Allegheny County and they have a pretty strict lock down right now. We were going to paddle last weekend but he has two young girls and my wife works at Altoona Hospital. I told him I’m high risk and maybe I’ll shoot him some pics of my solo paddles and hikes for a while.

luckily though I’m almost always self shuttling and paddling alone so I’m going out again this weekend with a long bike shuttle and paddle. I’m bringing my ccs tarp and a hammock I never use and spend a couple hours napping in the rain after a good freshly grilled philly cheese. That’ll get me out of the house. When you’re working from home on a 14” laptop 40 hours a week being home starts to suck. I’ll glove up for gas other wise expect no contact with the world.

....and I don’t have a shop to work on cool projects (got a fly tying desk though) but I do have a fan in the basement and I’m guilty of singing through it while my wife switches laundry.

stay well,

Barry

Back