• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Different Times

Reaction score
Well, we are more then knee deep in the provirvial crap. I sat back to watch how things panned out the board as we all walk through this. I just want to Thank You all for not going overboard with your posts, all are on the positive side and during a time like we are experiencing I will focus on the fact that this community has always been there for each other in many ways. I see the support we are all chiming in with in one way or another. Please keeping talking to each other and all of us all. The virus is here, it's bad but we are still are building boats and posting (Cruiser!) which helps us all and let's try to keep our canoeing ways going on this board. As I've said before, yeah I know shut the F up Doug, this is your board, our board and it's our community I am proud of being here.

Please be safe all.

dougd

Last edited:
Thank you Doug! Up here we are clear of it so far..... Probably on e of the last place in north america if not the last, but it will come and we are in it together really! A lot of people are not taking it seriously and still hang out in groups and go to bars and restaurants.... A bit crazy if you ask me! We will manage to go through all of that, not with out lost, but we will!! It will slow down a lot of things economy wise, but that might be a good thing in the long run!! Hang in there my friends!!

I came across canoetripping.com a couple of years ago, and now wish I had done so a lot sooner. In British Columbia, where Kathleen and I cut our canoeing/tripping teeth, everyone paddled plastic or kevlar or fibreglass canoes. There was only the occasional Grumman or Sportspal. No one paddled wood/canvass or stripper canoes. One of the guys in our canoe club made a stripper canoe, and had it for sale for many, many years. No one even made an offer on it, as far as I know. At the time I thought, “Who would want a stripper canoe? You can’t really use it on the rocky, swift rivers of southwest BC.”

But now, after visiting this site, I want a stripper canoe. I want a w/c canoe. They are so freakin’ beautiful! A few years ago, when I suddenly and unexpectedly needed a new tripping canoe, I thought only of Royalex, I was pretty much ignorant of the vast world of composites. Too bad for me, particularly now that I am definitely old (72), and, how should I put it, a lot less strong. Too late to add boats now, though. I am, by choice, past the acquisition stage in my life.

If I had come across this site 10 or 20 years ago, my canoeing experiences would have been much fuller. Thanks for the education, guys. (Note: I use the term “guys” in a non-gender sense, to refer to both men and women.) Just thought this was a good time to let you know how much I have appreciated this forum.

Last edited:
Here, too, in Western NY, we are experiencing unprecedented times. we can't go out to eat, can't buy new clothes, can't even go to a sporting goods store to but a new paddle or look at a new boat. We cannot even get a haircut!
The streets are almost empty.

At almost 70 years old, my kids won't let me go to the grocery store. Fortunately. there is enough TP in the house to last another month.

I am looking forward to temps in the 50's and 60's plus to be more able to enjoy being on the water. I miss getting together with groups of friends. (no more than 10 prople congregating).
I do not have the space to build, although always a dream.

I am looking forward to the end of this craziness and panic, and a return to more normal times.

Doug

I could not agree more. Thanks for your post and thanks and best wishes to my follow members.

We cannot even get a haircut!

Tomorrow my son will give me a #2 or #3 buzz cut, using clippers with chosen-length heads. Last time he couldn’t find the clipper heads and just shaved my head near bald. That was months ago, and I didn’t mind the convict/basic training recruit look, but my hair has now grown out to that intermediate length where it is bothersome. Plus I look like Woody Woodpecker when I pull a hooded sweatshirt on.

I could wait another 6 months and tie it back, and my 70’s pony tailed self would be pleased.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lk2KHajp4Y

That song kept me from cutting my hair for years. 20 year old me would now be aghast, but my buzz cut freak flag flies today in other ways, and I really don’t give a rats patootie what other folks think.

Fortunately our kids know better than to make us stay in. I figure at my age I am old enough to decide how to lead it.( or what is left of it) I do see neighbors whose kids have barricaded them in a house ( one literally!)

What is most annoying is that winter refuses to part ways. These senior shopping hours are a hoot. First I won't ever be able to rise at five and drive in the dark to a grocery store that still has vast empty shelves. And the deer run amok at that hour. I will just continue to gather what I can when I can.
The first senior hours start Tues
We are in the bullseye for a foot of snow Monday night. Thats 30 cm for you who use better measuring units. That will have to be dealt with without a plow. The ground is too soft to allow snowplowing anymore. He who hath dumped it shall have to remove it.

My hubby will need either rubber bands or a violin soon.

Thanks Doug, I too appreciate this forum and the wealth of experience and information within. I also participate in a forum dedicated to old Mercury outboard engines (johnsoldmercurysite.com) and that forum is much like this one with a dedicated core of knowledgeable people. It's greatly appreciated to be able to tap into the collective experience and enjoy our hobbies during this isolation.

Last edited:
Thank you Doug. This is a very different time in so many ways. In a normal natural disaster we naturally come together, pitch in, and help each other. In this instance we're asked to separate and isolate for the greater good. It's very disconcerting, at least for us. Healthy online communities such as this forum make a huge difference in softening that necessary separation.

Being retired, I am nicely postioned to ride this whole thing out with no worries as to income. Or anything else really. The visits are done for a few months but I have Facebook and other platforms to keep me connected and a boat load of projects around here to keep me busy. I hope not to lose too many people ...or me for that matter... but you do what you can and hope for the best. Old soldiers dont panic.
Paddling Pitt....we have a bit of a surplus of wc canoes here in MB. I may be able to find one that could end up out your way.

Doug - You're right in that this is our community but without you (and Robin previously) we wouldn't be here so thanks for all you do to keep us going. Visiting this site each day is pure pleasure so thanks to everyone who continues to contribute. I'm not a builder so hopefully the river levels will go down soon and I'll at least be able to submit some photos of our local areas. Right now either the water levels are too high or we're still covered in ice so there's not much to show but that will change; of course, today's snow has to leave as well :rolleyes:

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

How about the 1917 17' Penobscot? I would like to get back to the Morris sooner than later

Thanks, Mihun09 and lskweo. When this blows over, it might be fun to drive out there, and have a look at your beautiful w/c canoes. I don’t think I should be trusted with an antique Penobscot, though. How much does it weigh?

Ditto for me. Love the site and all the topic specific information not available elsewhere. We're now under a "stay at home order" from the governor. I wish they had called it something else, like "no unnecessary travel" or what. More than a little Orwellian.

Last edited:
I try to look for positives. I think it's not all bad to have one's routine disrupted. It's a chance to help others...our little neighborhood has a Facebook page and folks are looking out for each other. It's a chance to try new recipes and maybe even eat better/healthier or maybe to eat food that's been in the cupboard for years. It's an opportunity to exercise more regularly and try new exercises (YouTube has all kinds of exercise and stretching videos). It's a chance to try something new like maybe meditation or sewing or whatever. It's certainly an opportunity to practice better hygiene. I think it's somehow valuable to experience just how fragile our "normal" reality is. It's even a chance to start new fashion trends like wearing old underwear on your face as a mask.

Times like these make clear what jobs are really important to a nation's economy and healthcare industry.

Truck drivers.

I spent 35 years driving truck for these guys, (Baxter and Cardinal Health) I was in Manhattan on 9/11 with an emergency load of medical supplies and I spoke with a past fellow employee this week, it's all hands on deck for all employees.

SCAN0021.JPG

Thinking of truck drivers. Now that some of the states have closed rest areas how do they handle that thing.. you know.. and while truck stops may be open you can't sit inside a restaurant.. If we think we have it bad think of the long haul guy cooped up in a cab.

Thinking of truck drivers. Now that some of the states have closed rest areas how do they handle that thing.. you know.. and while truck stops may be open you can't sit inside a restaurant.. If we think we have it bad think of the long haul guy cooped up in a cab.
Yup, I really feel sorry for the drivers in Ontario! No real truckstops left, and the fast food guys won't let them walk up to the window, they're left with begging strangers to go through for them!

Back