• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Canadian border closed

Yep, I figured this would happen and cancel my ice-out Algonquin trip! Oh well, maybe by September it'll be open again, though by then the creeks will be bony! Stay healthy everyone!

Pat

Yeah, me too. In Vermont where my son lives, Lake Memphremagog stretches between the US and Canada... there was once a thriving booze smuggling industry during Prohibition on the water. As far as I know, there's no dotted line on the water denoting the border, so I guess it's feasible. Probably not advisable however!!

Canada asks you to self-isolate for 14 days when entering.

I'm going to need to plan a longer trip

I've always thought it would be fun to sneak in/out of Canada by canoe. Maybe this will be the year to try! :)

Alan

Years ago, Kathleen paddled on the North Fork of the Flathead River. We drove to the put-in on the British Columbia side, and then canoed down into Montana. There was a Customs building at the time, but it was shuttered. Don’t know what the situation is today. Might be worth a try, Alan, particularly if you enjoy poling and dragging up from the U.S. side. We were on the river for about a week. Very scenic.

Years ago, Kathleen paddled on the North Fork of the Flathead River. We drove to the put-in on the British Columbia side, and then canoed down into Montana. There was a Customs building at the time, but it was shuttered. Don’t know what the situation is today. Might be worth a try, Alan, particularly if you enjoy poling and dragging up from the U.S. side. We were on the river for about a week. Very scenic.

We paddled Ross Lake in Washington way back (1983?)--one trip we entered from Canada so as to paddle the north end crossing the border, the next trip we entered from Washington to paddle the south end. We only had weekends so couldn't do it in one trip. Border crossings were easier back then--only one at Blaine on the freeway.

It does allow US citizens in ...

For now, not something I want be concerned about while off the grid.

Hopefully this will all be sorted out in the near future. Like Turtle, the Adirondacks are a great option for me too so that’s a good thing. I’ve been on the mend the last couple of years and I’m really biting at the bit to get back to Canada. August is my target date.

I can't speak for others but my nearby canoe camping will be unaffected. St John, Allagash and the many other canoe camp sites are almost never crowded. Sometimes the Allagash gets clumps of guided trips.
What is important is May. It is some seven weeks to canoe season. The snowmobilers are still riding the canoe areas.
BWCA is still all frozen.

There are actually a LOT of places to canoe camp in the US. Florida is outstanding and also Montana and Missouri and Arkansas. The latter two get mighty crowded for sure summer weekends..

There are plenty of places here in the NE to paddle in solitude, it just takes a little more planning.

I agree with you sweeper! Although I can't get a 7 day trip out of river in NH, maybe the CT river, but plenty of lakes and rivers to get a weekend out of or even 4 days or so. The Daks have a ton of paddling opportunities as well. Although I don't have any real trips planned this year I do need to look closer to home for paddling trips if I want to take them. We'll see how this all pans out in how long it lasts to what is open to the public down the road.

All the northern (and not so northern) rod & gun outfitters are going to have a very bad year, maybe worse than 2001.

Back