• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Coronavirus Question

Makes sense to me.

If I was on that cruise ship I'd be begging them to just drop me off on some deserted island and pick me up in a month.

Alan

How does it go? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

A 6' transmission radius, let's make that a 6+ mile buffer zone

I’m planning a trip to Canada this year but the talk of closing the borders makes me wonder. I would hate to get into Canada, then have them close the border for a month or so.
Resupply and get back out there?:cool:

I’m planning a trip to Canada this year but the talk of closing the borders makes me wonder. I would hate to get into Canada, then have them close the border for a month or so.
Resupply and get back out there?:cool:

Hold on there bud, you're forgetting we made you an honorary Canadian eh. You'll be good.

But this pandemic just goes to show how small this big ol' world has gotten in a hurry.

Last edited:
Some of my friends have said that maybe my going into the wilderness away from people isn't that dumb after all.

I only carry a track phone, and it doesn’t work in Canada. I woke up last night thinking of my options to call my wife when I get stuck in Canada.....
Maybe I’ll get a Garmin In Reach with the 10 texts plan. keep the conversation to a minimum.

She would know the border was closed from the news.

I think that would happen before May if it did.

By May things should be settled down. I had not heard any rumor of the Canada US border closing. I spent an hour researching and nada. The border is pretty close to me

By May things should be settled down. I had not heard any rumor of the Canada US border closing. I spent an hour researching and nada. The border is pretty close to me

HaHa, just some tongue in cheek till the latest build thread gets going this morning.

Kim,

I'd like to believe that the warmer weather coming will put a lid on the virus like it often does with regular flu but there's no real evidence that it will. China is reporting that the number of new infections is dropping so maybe that's encouraging. Italy, not, totally closed down, nobody in, nobody out.

Here in the frozen north, news reports and experts are saying that this is only the beginning, this Corona virus is just getting started so prepare for the possibility that things could get worse. Maybe another one of the popular news' inclination to blowing up significance in order to attract viewers... if it bleeds, it leads.

Best wishes during your travels... I'd stay away from cities with high population densities, crowds, mass gatherings... there may be supply shortages if things do get worse and travel restrictions of some kind might happen. As the news reports come in with time, the more affected areas, if any, will become apparent so you'll be avoiding those... anyway, stay aware of what's developing.

Last edited:
So, if I get exposed and need to be quarantined for 14 days does a solo canoe trip count????

All joking aside heading off on a long trip might be a good way to avoid exposure, but if you actually think you have been exposed probably not a great idea. If you have any underlying health issues, respiratory issues or are immunocompromised in any way heading off after exposure would definitely be a bad idea.

I’ll go paddling or tripping, but I won’t be attending any mass event gatherings, no movies, concerts or sporting events, but didn’t do much of that anyway. Not planning to fly anywhere, and there never was enough money in the world to get me on a cruise ship. I don’t attend religious services, but regular Church goers may need to consider their own exposure and elderly congregations.

I am taking Covid-19 seriously, much the same as when NOAA predicts a hurricane. Although I’m usually not driving into a hurricane (well, once or twice), and had not considered border closings, or issues with quarantined areas/cities.

I have been under quarantine four times, for 14 – 17 days each time; vaccine or challenge studies for Cholera, E.coli H10407, Swine Flu and H1N1 A. Victoria.

It was fun; I was 18 years old and it paid $22 a day to live on a locked isolation ward with 20 other ne’re do wells. Three squares a day delivered, snack stocked kitchen, lounge with TV, pool table, ping pong table and a private “meditation room”. It was coed, so sometimes the meditation room didn’t see much Om Mani Padme Hum. Met some memorable characters, and saw some shining examples of human ingenuity, but that’s another story (someone please ask).

The only unusual precautions/preparations I have taken is putting a bottle of hand sanitizer in the truck, to use after library visits, newspaper runs, hardware or grocery store, and checking our food stocks, if only so I am grocery shopping every two weeks and not needing to go out for this and that every three days.

We usually have a couple weeks supply of food in the house but, should we feel the need (or are forced to?) self-isolate I stocked up on some assorted dry goods and cans so it isn’t all beans, rice, oatmeal and leftover Mt. House. As a boatworker I am well set with masks, respirators and gloves, and have largely become a hermit in any case.

The government, media and public response to this pandemic has been fascinating for personal history reasons. I’m not a doctor, and don’t play one on TV, but I spent my entire 35 year University career working with virologists, a decade at the Center for Vaccine Development and 25 years with the Medical Biotechnology Center and the Institute of Human Virology. I only look like an old dumb hillbilly in overalls and crocs.

I know several of the doctors now seen at every press conference; first met Anthony Fauci back in the ‘70’s when I delivered specimens to his labs at NIAID and spent nearly two decades with CDC Director Bob Redfield, who was then the Clinical Director at the IHV.

heck, the Duckheads canoeing group originally formed around a core of young infectious disease research investigators and post docs. It is funny to now see some of them, respected Department Chairs and emeritus Professors, and think back to when we left them passed out drunk on a dock surrounded by empty beer cans.

That’s my two cents and 500 words. I’d treat it like a pending Cat 5 hurricane. Can’t hurt to be prepared.

Hah! I am actually unprepared. The market is out of TP ( WHY?) hand sanitizer, aloe, disinfecting wipes masks ( not very useful anyhoow to those not sputtering). Stupid me is going camping next week for five weeks. I actually need some of the stuff like the sanitizer and a spool of disinfecting wipes may be handy since we will be playing around with trailer black tanks.. Gloves too.

Why the run on big jars of sanitizer perplexes me. My neighbors have six jugs of it in the kitchen. And the do also have running water and soap....which works better( they never have camped and never will). I may have to run over to their house and rob them of a jug though I need only about 8 oz for five weeks.

Or I will be off to the local convenience to buy Everclear. ( ANyone ever drink that stuff?.l Did you read about those hospitalized for drinking the stuff.
I think the article is BS because drinking methanol in any amount is fatal.. Yes you can get alcohol from too much recreational alcohol but that is ethanol.

https://www.newindianexpress.com/wo...-covid-19-bootleg-booze-kills-27-2114502.html

Or I will be off to the local convenience to buy Everclear. ( ANyone ever drink that stuff?.l Did you read about those hospitalized for drinking the stuff.
I think the article is BS because drinking methanol in any amount is fatal.. Yes you can get alcohol from too much recreational alcohol but that is ethanol.

Everclear is not methanol, it's ethanol.

Alan

Last edited:
Everclear is not methanol, it's ethanol.

Alan

Sorry I wrote badly.. As a medic I encountered people drinking methanol -and just a wee bit-and it wasn't pretty.. Everclear was the street booze of choice and with a blood alcohol level of .4 sometimes the outcome was the same not pretty. It took a lot more Everclear.
151 proof rum will do too.

Back