• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Calling All Nocturnal Bookworms

Reaction score
I read at night when I can't sleep. I generally use a candle lantern , as LED lights and flashlights are too bright and unwieldy. Candles are heavy compared to just a headlamp and even some extra batteries. Maybe there's a better (lightweight) mousetrap out there I haven't heard of. Wouldn't be the first time.

I read at night when I can't sleep. I generally use a candle lantern , as LED lights and flashlights are too bright and unwieldy. Candles are heavy compared to just a headlamp and even some extra batteries. Maybe there's a better (lightweight) mousetrap out there I haven't heard of. Wouldn't be the first time.

Good evening fellow oldster. As much as I respect the Luddite principle the Kindle Paperwhite is great. You can nocturnally read without bothering a bed mate and the batteries do last a whole trip. The issue is : is the book you want to read available for an e reader?
The Kindle works well for nocturnal disturbances at home when you dare not risk having a Stephen King hard cover thrown at you because the headlamp got aimed wrong,

I don't think I'm ready to embrace that technology in the woods. Seems wrong, somehow. And don't the say those things make it harder to sleep?

No. Not the paperwhite Kindle that mocks a book. The blue light emitted by a regular notepad computer or phone is to be avoided.. yes bringing your phone to bed is going to keep you up.
I can read a lot of books on a trip. That doesn't mean I want to carry five pounds of paper on a trip even if it is good firestarter. The Kindle holds thousands of books.

My wife's Kobo lasts her a week trip, she thinks about 12 hours thereabouts. It has a sleep mode to conserve batteries (don't we all?), or she can just shut it off every night. The screen is easy on the eyes she tells me. She should know, she spends all her work days staring at a computer screen. I prefer a paperback myself with a headlamp. In both cases no glare no problem, and in both cases we confine the light to just where we want/need it. Both book and ebook weigh less than the ground coffee we bring. Technology is a beautiful thing, from the artificial light we illuminate the dark corners with to the bedding layers we wrap ourselves up in each night...it's all relative. Too much, too little or just the right amount. It's up to each of us to choose our own relative definitions. There's no such thing as cheating. Rubbing sticks, wearing skins and sleeping rough is just as narcissist as a Bic flicking Gore Tex clad cabin dweller. Blab over. Happy reading!

Last edited:
The Kindle Paperwhite is a wonderful tripping companion. The built in light is not glaring at all and light intensity is adjustable. You can even it read it in bright sunlight. I get a week + maybe 2-3 weeks out of a fully charged battery, my use is mostly at night, before bed, reading an hour or so. One key is turn airplane mode on so it is not constantly searching for WiFi. If you bring a small USB power brick you can recharge the Kindle.

What makes it a nice bed companion is if you prop it up on something (like a down vest) you can get a nice reading angle and all you do is touch the right edge of the page to flip to the next page. No need to commit a hand to keeping the book open. Snuggled in my sleeping bag I just extend my index finger out to turn to the next page while I stay nice a warm. And after turning it off, the next time you turn it on it resumes at the page you stopped reading. Having adjustable font sizes and built in dictionary add to the appeal.

The Paperwhite is on my pack list and I always have 2-4 books loaded and ready to read.

My fear is being left without reading material due to a dead battery or breakage. If a 3 day storm moved in I'd go bat poop crazy.

Ok, I'm thinking about it. Less than 1/2 lb. Amazon says the battery life is weeks, not hours. I wonder if the battery is replaceable.

Last edited:
I use the Flexlight with my power bank. It has worked well for me in my hammock. A candle lantern didn't work for me so I just used my headlamp. My daughter gave me the Flexlight as a gift to use in camp. At first, I used it when cooking in the the dark. It did a nice job supplementing my headlamp. I decided to give it a try in the hammock and it worked better for me than the headlamp.

I always used a candle lantern when I was a ground dweller. I liked the glow in the tent and I could easily read with it. I expected to have the same when I went to a hammock. It's a bit difficult to describe, but unfortunately, with my particular hammock, a lantern doesn't work because there's no internal ridgeline, so where the lantern hangs doesn't put the light where I need it to read.

Ok, I'm thinking about it. Less than 1/2 lb. Amazon says the battery life is weeks, not hours. I wonder if the battery is replaceable.

I don't think so but my unit is some 9 years old. I do get 80 hours off a charge. My unit may have been built before preordained obsolescence was built in. Such is the hook of electronics. And I have no idea of the longevity of current batteries
For the same reason I am loath to buy a new car. Ours is 12 years old and feeling every bump. The diagnosis was suspension age.. nothing else wrong

My fear is being left without reading material due to a dead battery or breakage. If a 3 day storm moved in I'd go bat poop crazy.

Maybe try a friend’s Kindle first. I would love to be able to use a Kindle or other digital reader. I’ve tried, I can’t. I need a real freaking book in my hands. heck, I sometimes (ok, often) pack in an unread newspaper, and contribute it to the campfire. Only after I have read every word, including the obits.

One of my fondest tripping memories, day two windbound on a Maine lake, a friend pulled out a full Sunday New York Times from a dry bag. The cooperative crossword puzzle alone took up half the day, with some breaks to retire to the tent with the lingerie circulars.

I read at night every night, at home or in the tent. I have to read a bit every night, even if I am so tired, exhausted or hammered that I read the same page three times, or when the book falls from my grasp and hits me in the head. Gotta read.

I have tried everything. Candle lanterns are a dicey proposition in a nylon walled tent. Every battery op lantern I have tried was either too unfocused 360 degree illumination dim to read by, or had sucky battery life on the “high” setting. Propping a diffuse focused flashlight on my shoulder works, but has don’t-move-a-muscle or shining hairy through the beard issues.

I need bright focused light on the page, something that won’t move when I rustle around. What has worked most satisfactorily has been a Luci-light (or two), mini beenered to a cord lock adjustable line, strung along the head of the tent, and angle aimed directly at the book.

Like this “unfrosted” Luci light with 10 bright LEDs:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Luci-Outdoor-by-MPOWERD-Inflatable-Solar-Light/38534904

One is plenty, but I now bring two of those Luci-lights. Early on I was using a big 10-LED Luci-light, and a mini 3-bulb version when the little one shut off for lack of charge. I barely noticed the illumination difference.

One multi-LED Luci light is enough to fully illuminate a book, two of them aimed \ / from at the page from a “headboard” on the tent is like stadium lighting, illuminating both pages at once.

Worst case scenario on cloudy/rainy trips I still have angled-off-my-shoulder flashlight back ups, but opportunities to in-camp (or even in boat) for recharging the Luci-lights works 90% of the time. As a habitual bedtime reader packing enough batteries for flashlight or lantern on long trips vs carrying a Luci-light or two quickly became a no-brainer.

Yeah, I still pack extra flashlight batteries. But now I rarely need them.

Big, bright Luci-lights, wikth cord locked adjustable lines at the head of the tent. Best thing since 10 point font and 1.5X reading glasses.

In both tent and my van I use a headlamp I bought in Idaho in 2004. It has a low power setting and a diffuser shade that can be pulled down across the lens. In my van I hang it on the wall behind my head. In the tent I wear it. The only problem is that I sometimes fall asleep and burn out the batteries overnight.

Even though I've been a voracious daily reader since fourth grade, I doubt I would ever need a device that can hold a thousand books for a 3-7 day canoe trip, which is my norm. One moderately boring paperback will do. (An exciting book is too likely to prolong WAKEfulness.) When I'm in my van traveling from one canoe site to another, or from home and back, I have a library of books and magazines to read.

The only problem is that I sometimes fall asleep and burn out the batteries overnight..

Another nice thing with the Paperwhite is if you don't interact with the screen, like turn a page, after 5 or 10 minutes it turns off. Falling asleep doesn't kill your battery. I've had mine 8-10 years and still have the original battery.

You might consider it sacrilege, but I use a Luci Light (solar LED, hi/low/blinker) suspended from a loop in the middle of my tarp. the low beam, 2' or so off the ground, makes for 'not too bright' reading... generally i sleep well, but it's handy to just reach up and flip it on in the middle of the night when i need to get up, find my shoes, an extra layer, re-cover myself if something slipped off (like a poncho) or whatever. the pushbutton is a little inconvenient, but aside from an expensive multi-function headlamp, i don't have any other suggestions.

Kindle Paperwhite. I recharged mine once on a six week trip, and it didn't really need it.

Luci light
I use a Luci Light

+1
I have the mini (Luci EMRG, 2.5 oz, IP67 waterproof rating) and a full sized version with a USB port for charging other devices (Luci Pro Series, 5.5 oz, IP67). I will strap them to the top of my pack or to the canoe somewhere during the day so they catch some rays. Most of the time I only bring the mini. In the event that I finish the one book I pack in (usually trade-sized paperback, 12-20oz, IP00), the Kindle app on my GPS/Camera (Samsung Galaxy S10, 5.54 oz, IP68) gets the nod.

Back