• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Tripping Plans for 2020

Reaction score
I have been planning our next trip ever since Kathleen and I returned from the Yukon River last summer. I thought I would share with you, as no one around Preeceville, Saskatchewan trips. Heck. They hardly even canoe, other than an hour or two, perhaps once a year. So here goes. Any feedback or comments would be much appreciated.

When we reflect on our wilderness canoe trips, our favourite was the Thelon River, in 1993, when we paddled east for 37 days and 950 km (590 miles) from the outlet of Lynx Lake down to Baker Lake at the head of Chesterfield Inlet on Hudson Bay.

Several rivers are tied for our second favourite trip. But we very much enjoyed our adventure in 2001, when we flew back to Lynx Lake, and then paddled west to Whitefish Lake, and then portaged over the height of land to the Snowdrift River, which carried us back toward Great Slave Lake.

These two northern trips both featured nearly constant daylight and the spectacular scenery and isolation of the Barren Grounds. This is what we seek. So our plan now is to fly to the western edge of Whitefish Lake on July 4, our 39th wedding anniversary. We then have allocated two weeks to paddle approximately 135km (85 miles) back to the eastern edge of Lynx Lake. We are planning a leisurely trip. No intimidating rapids. No portaging. We are getting older, and no longer feel the need break camp every day just to cover more distance. We look forward to short paddling days, and just enjoying the landscape.

In 2001, we travelled these two, somewhat large lakes, with a 1:250,000 topographic map. I have only recently started to investigate Google Earth, and it does provide an interesting perspective.

Whitefish to Lynx.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Whitefish to Lynx.jpg Views:	0 Size:	183.4 KB ID:	103845

We will fly to the old camp of Tundra Tom Faess, who passed away in 2018. "Tundra" was a fairly famous outfitter and guide in Northern Canada.

snowdrift048.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	snowdrift048.jpg Views:	0 Size:	595.3 KB ID:	103846
Tom was kind enough to let Kathleen and me shower at his place. Very welcome after about 10 paddling days.

snowdrift044.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	snowdrift044.jpg Views:	0 Size:	554.3 KB ID:	103847

Here we are camped across the strait from Gordon's Esker. We didn't know it at the time, but approximately 10,000 dene artifacts have been found here, at a yearly camp to hunt caribou who crossed here in water usually not more than a metre (4 feet) deep. We plan to camp on Gordon's Esker this time.

snowdrift140.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	snowdrift140.jpg Views:	0 Size:	481.9 KB ID:	103849

Typical landscape around Whitefish Lake. We loved this camp.

snowdrift140.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	snowdrift140.jpg Views:	0 Size:	481.9 KB ID:	103849
We plan to camp again, like in 2001, at the Lynx Creek Esker, one of our favourite campsites.

Image-2017-07-27-at-10.41-AM-5.jpeg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Image-2017-07-27-at-10.41-AM-5.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	108.3 KB ID:	103850

We hope to swing by the Lynx Tundra Lodge, and rent a cabin for one night. A bit of a break from camping. Should be interesting.

Whitefish to Lynx.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Whitefish to Lynx.jpg Views:	0 Size:	183.4 KB ID:	103845
And then we plan to be picked up at the same spot at the outlet of Lynx Lake, where we landed in 1993. Starting to get excited! This time, though, we plan to travel with 1:50,000 topographic maps that I have downloaded for free, and will laminate them. The extra detail, compared to a 1:250,000 map, will be more interesting.

Last edited:
Wonderful scenery! I"m sure you will have a fantastic trip. Only plan I have so far is a gruelling portage cutting trip in June to open up another route. After that, maybe a lot of freighter canoe camping.

The Lynx trip looks very exciting Mike & Kathleen!

Currently rereading Indian Rock Paintings of The Great Lakes by Selwyn H. Dewdney and Kenneth E. Kidd,
and Reading Rock Art: Interpreting the Indian Rock Paintings of The Canadian Shield by Grace Rajnovich.
Hope to visit some examples this summer 2020 via canoe tripping.

Currently rereading Indian Rock Paintings of The Great Lakes by Selwyn H. Dewdney and Kenneth E. Kidd,
and Reading Rock Art: Interpreting the Indian Rock Paintings of The Canadian Shield by Grace Rajnovich.

Where would you likely go to see these paintings, Odyssey?

I’ve read the second one. It was recommended by Claire at WCPP because it had at First Nations perspective. I’m so fascinated by the rock paintings.

Mike,
There are some scattered around the Sudbury-Temagami-Temiskaming Ontario region. Maybe I'll find a few, or not. They're not easily seen. Water levels, age etc. No photos from me. It's enough to just be there.
Red,
I agree. The pre/post contact history is fascinating. The insightful interpretations provided by FN members over the ages as to song scrolls and paintings are spellbinding.

Last edited:
What a lot of people don't know about Selwyn Dewdney is that one of his "informants" was Norval Morrisseau. I read both books, there is another good one too, I'll have to go through my library. We have some up our way, I'd be happy to show anyone up for a "square stern" adventure.

That would be cool Mem.
Summit L and the waterfall blew my mind I don't mind saying. Pretty sure something was happening there.
(I know we wouldn't be taking the ss up that way.)

Last edited:
So is this going to be a flat water trip Mike? What topos are you using?

Somewhere along the way, Odyssey, you must have gleaned that Kathleen and I much prefer paddling rivers as opposed to lakes. But we want to be in the Barren Grounds. This trip could be considered a "Hanging out in the Barren Grounds Trip With a Canoe." We gotta paddle sometime somewhere, though. So I guess it could be considered a flat water trip.

Whitefish Lake is about 3 m (10 feet) higher in elevation than Lynx Lake. In 2001, I had to drag up the swift, shallow rapid between the two lakes. This time, going the opposite direction, we can just run down. A few minutes of river paddling!

snowdrift033.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	snowdrift033.jpg Views:	0 Size:	536.3 KB ID:	103865

We were actually conflicted about what to do this coming summer. The two float plane flights are very expensive - $9,400.00 Can. Did we want to spend that much money? No, we didn't. But what else would we do? We had two other choices. Stay home and work on the various tasks that needed doing around the property. Staining sheds. Mowing trails. That didn't seem like fun. The third choice was to drive east, with our dog Shadow. In 2017 we went to Montreal for one week for my birthday. Loved Montreal. We think that when age catches up with us, that we will move to Montreal. Sell all our infernal machines. Move right downtown. Hang out on sidewalk cafes. So we thought we could scope things out in Montreal this summer. We thought we could visit some CT friends. Maybe do a little paddling with CT friends. But hey, we're getting older by the minute. I'm 72, and Kathleen will be 68 in April. We can still do it. Got to do it while we can. Got to go back to the Barren Grounds. Besides, we're not actually spending money that we need. In the words of Joe Walsh, "Life has been good to me (us) so far."

The topo maps are 75J14, 75J15, 75J10, 75J7, 75J8, 75J9 and 75I5. I have downloaded them, and digitally cropped each map in half before printing. I will laminate them to protect from water. This seems better than map sealing each, large topo map, which creates a very bulky pile. I have also uploaded the digital versions on my iPad, so that I can zoom in and out when we are on the trip. I plan to buy a portable battery to recharge the iPad. Looking forward to studying my maps, and gazing at the beauty surrounding me. Montreal, and the young French girls promenading by my sidewalk table remain in the future, though. Beauty comes in many packages.

Last edited:
All my trips must be non portage anymore so I’m not sure what’s in store. We are still trying to make a move to Camden, Maine area so that kinda throws a wrench into the mix also.

Three good things, I’m long retired, I like solo trips and I have that new square stern canoe to haul my wall tent outfit in for early spring and fall trips. I have a few ideas but nothing planned, I’ll have everything ready and will no doubt go at the last minute.

Some ideas are Crandberry Lake NY, early spring with the square stern and wall tent outfit, or if we move to Maine one of the bigger lakes with the square stern, or maybe a trip to La Verendrye and spend a week paddling one of those big reservoirs, lots of little nooks and crannies to explore.

A road trip across Ontario is always on my mind, culminating in a canoe trip but that’s a long time away from home.

Nothing major, just the usual.

Realistically, at the fullest realized slate, an Adirondack trip or two, some DelMarVa stuff, Pennsylvania paddling and a trip to the Carolinas.

There is a faint possibility of a Florida trip, or even a trip out west. The latter requires a companion shift-driver; I’d prefer to not even be awake on the east side of the Mississippi.

Robin, there is a lot of square stern country on the Ogoki, put in on the Ottertail and go all the way to AmyFalls. Some side trips in there too. Very good fishin. Good boat launch too. Then on the way back, stop at the Kap bridge and go down to Stewart lake, lots of good camping spots down that way too.

Robin, there is a lot of square stern country on the Ogoki, put in on the Ottertail and go all the way to AmyFalls. Some side trips in there too. Very good fishin. Good boat launch too. Then on the way back, stop at the Kap bridge and go down to Stewart lake, lots of good camping spots down that way too.

That sounds the ticket Robin, there's a lot of water still available without having to get out and walk.
A whole new tripping chapter to be written.

I had a really good summer this past one and want to carry on that trend. Like Mem, I have a port cutting trip planned, with my neice. If done early it should rock. May long looks like a girls trip on Wallace / Siderock lakes. Karin is thinking of coming out with us. That would be nice. I may freighter that one.

I can hear Marshall calling ....or maybe even White Otter by Ignace...unmaintained park so very cool. I have to contend with hiking fishing and gardens too so this is getting pretty ambitious. Last minute day trips will be abundant me thinks.

I have been snowshoeing three times this month...I think my cardiologist has started a pool.

Wonderful trips, past and planned. I enjoy these photos and plans, and only with a moderate amount of jealousy. Not so sure about Montreal though. I went there once and it sure seemed like a lot of people all stacked up on each other.

My plans are rather sedate, a solo trip to BWCA, maybe a Fall trip with wife to Vermont.

Last edited:
I've got a BWCA trip planned in February and one in May. Finalizing up plans for Woodland Caribou in July and then there's always the family and friends boat camping in voyageurs national park in August

Back