• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

should I upgrade?

Reaction score
Currently, I have two canoes. A Nova Craft Fox Solo 14, and a royalex dagger reflection 15

Initially, I got the fox so I could solo and because I wanted something lighter and easier to carry.

I really like the reflection 15. Great stability, goes fast enough for me, turns on a dime, tracks well.

My needs have changed. There aren't enough lakes near me to warrant a boat that is only good on flat water. I'm already planning paddling trips through outfitters on local rivers. There are rapids on these trips, but nothing scary. Class 2, 3 if the water is high *which I wouldn't paddle given my experience*
I'm not a super experienced solo river paddler.

So, this has me reassessing. Should I look for something with good primary stability that works better in some white water? Or, is the reflection good enough for these purposes given minimal rapids?

I'd want it to be lightweight, needs to have a yoke and lightweight. Fifty pound range is just fine.

Not wanting to drop 3K, but I can certainly do closer to 2.

Durable, tracks well, and can responsive to pries and draws.

Last edited:
I haven't paddled either of your canoes, but I looked up their specs and researched them. And I've paddled a lot of canoes on whitewater.

I wouldn't spend money on a new canoe before you've even paddled some of the class 1-2 rivers. The Reflection is advertised in the old Mad River catalogs as being designed for both lakes and easy whitewater. Even though it only has 1" of rocker on each end, you say it's easy to turn, which is desirable virtue on whitewater. Finally, Royalex is a great material for rocky rivers. I'd just give the Reflection a good try on the rivers and wait until you're more river experienced before you decide whether to drop a lot of money on a specialized whitewater canoe.

The Reflection gets a lot of good reviews on p.com (but, because of confirmation bias, reviews of almost all boats are good):

https://paddling.com/gear/dagger-reflection-15-canoe/

I agree with Glen. I have two dagger reflections in Rx and the 15 is a great all round boat for moving water and the local waters here in central Pa. I’d stick with that one and paddle it hard.

barry

There are rapids on these trips, but nothing scary. Class 2, 3 if the water is high *which I wouldn't paddle given my experience*
I'm not a super experienced solo river paddler.

I encourage you to join a paddling club with an active cruise schedule. Many clubs offer formal or informal whitewater paddling instruction and organized WW trips led by experienced paddlers who know the river. Also Safety/Rescue classes, folks with whom to set vehicle shuttles and a chance to see what canoes others are paddling and maybe give them a try.

I don’t know exactly where you live or what active clubs are down your way. Virginia? Maybe the Blue Ridge Voyageurs.

http://www.blueridgevoyageurs.org/

I haven't paddled either of your canoes, but I looked up their specs and researched them. And I've paddled a lot of canoes on whitewater.

I wouldn't spend money on a new canoe before you've even paddled some of the class 1-2 rivers. The Reflection is advertised in the old Mad River catalogs as being designed for both lakes and easy whitewater. Even though it only has 1" of rocker on each end, you say it's easy to turn, which is desirable virtue on whitewater. Finally, Royalex is a great material for rocky rivers. I'd just give the Reflection a good try on the rivers and wait until you're more river experienced before you decide whether to drop a lot of money on a specialized whitewater canoe.

The Reflection gets a lot of good reviews on p.com (but, because of confirmation bias, reviews of almost all boats are good):

https://paddling.com/gear/dagger-reflection-15-canoe/

This is what I was hoping you all would say. I'm getting an eds canoe center seat/yoke put on it right now. In addition to being easy to turn, it tracks so so well. If I want to fish, I can just move around in the boat, tie on some bait, I can go from kneeling to sitting with plenty of security.

Back