• Time
  • Show
Clear All

North Country Winter Images

Click image for larger version

Name:	81805363_3008901589122396_1396502233972998144_o.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	103267Click image for larger version  Name:	82191980_3435114793197165_1321415554120024064_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.7 KB ID:	103266
    Last edited by Black_Fly; 01-10-2020, 11:29 AM.

Just wondering where this “North Country” is.

Comment

North of here. We got rain and 60*.

Comment

Might be south of here!

Comment

Someone in Fairbanks sent these to me. I think they're funny. Seems they're having a spate of cold.

I also enjoy northern lights and caribou pics.

Comment

The picture of the thermometer is what ours looks like this morning, no moose but they have been close enough to eat the dead plants in the hanging baskets hanging from the eves. We also have a ruffed grouse that comes to the kitchen window bird feeder twice a day to fill up on black oil sunflower seeds. It is pretty hard to count Chickadees but my bride counted 16 yesterday at our feeders both black capped and Boreal. Five Canadian Jays, 2 hairy woodpeckers, 2 downy woodpeckers and a magpie are regulars. We did have a nutchatch coming, but haven't seen it since before Chrismas, they are according to the bird books rare here and we fear that it has frozen to death.
            Still in the throes of the short dark days of the sub-arctic winter but the daylight has increased by 57 minuets since the Solstice. Days are beautiful with the low, flat light with long dawns and dusk.
            "All I had were a few flies tucked into the band of my hat and an a old beaten-up Heddon rod, that had been on many trips." Sigurd F. Olson

Comment

Yup minus 25c walking the dogs in the dark this morning, minus 32c with windchill. They- retired racing Greyhounds- are not as keen on the temperatures.

Beautiful clear blue skies and fresh snow to whiten everything up. 15cm since Monday so ski trails are back in great shape.
              And that big full moon looks great shining on all the fresh snow, too.

I love this time of year!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Only 3 months till paddling season.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	103283
              Only 3 months till paddling season!

Bruce

Comment

Winter here started early and cold but since mid-December it's been unseasonably warm. The respite is over as temps look to start dropping to more normal levels early next week. Has been nice while it lasted.

I think if I walked into an outhouse and saw that roll of toilet paper I'd decide to hold it another day.

Alan

Comment

Well... it is 51°F now at mid-day, but the thermometer is dropping quickly. It is supposed to be only 44°F tonight - Brrrr.
                  There is a paddling season?

Sorry. Couldn't help it...
                  Just my $0.02 (minus inflation)

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0746.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	65.0 KB ID:	103291

Just back from walking the dog. Minus 20 C (-4 F), up from an overnight low of -28 C (-18 F). Calm, sunny and warm. Our favourite time of year. View from our front deck.

Comment

“Only 3 months till paddling season!

Bruce”

I guess it depends on where one wants to paddle, Bruce. Kathleen and I plan to fly into Whitefish Lake this summer, in the Northwest Territories. Going to spend two weeks paddling the Barren Grounds of Whitefish and Lynx Lakes. Whitefish remains frozen until late June/early July. Only a little over 5 months to go!
                      Last edited by PaddlingPitt; 01-10-2020, 04:03 PM.

Comment

What kind of pack boots y'all wear in that weather? I have an old pair of Sorels I used in Wyoming, but my feet were always cold.

Comment

Live near New Era Stadium, the home of New York's only Professional football team.

5 years ago, we had 5 feet of snow in 3 days.

This year, 60 degrees (f) tomorrow.

I'd love to have a couple of feet of white beauty on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Fly View Post
                            What kind of pack boots y'all wear in that weather? I have an old pair of Sorels I used in Wyoming, but my feet were always cold.
                            Kathleen and I wear traditional mukluks, with moose hide bottoms and canvass uppers. They are light as bedroom slippers and breath completely. They are substantially warmer than our Sorels, which are also very heavy, and the liners need to be dried regularly. We also have felted wool inserts for the mukluks that Kathleen made.

Click image for larger version  Name:	img021.jpg Views:	0 Size:	583.9 KB ID:	103299
                            Last edited by PaddlingPitt; 01-10-2020, 05:52 PM.

Comment

What PaddlingPitt said. If you can not find the real deal hand made smoke tanned moose hide ones, a good substitute are the ones made in Ely Minnesota by Steger Mukluks. I never wear my mukluks much above +14 F (-10 C.) or if I do, I slip on Tingley farm boots.
                              I am seeing a lot of the distance sled dog racers wearing Lobben felt boots from Norway inside Neos Explorer Stabilicer overshoes, which I would like to try for my ice fishing adventures. If can ever find Lobben's that fit my big feet.
                              "All I had were a few flies tucked into the band of my hat and an a old beaten-up Heddon rod, that had been on many trips." Sigurd F. Olson

Comment

Working...
                              X