• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Time to Get Down!

Reaction score
I've got way too many sleeping bags and a couple quilts, but no quilt that works for the shoulder seasons. Me and the dog were cold last fall trying to stretch my 50" wide 30 degree quilt over both our carcasses. I don't need a foot box, prefer down that stays in the bag. Anyone got a suggestion?

Last edited:
I have gotten into making my own gear and have made a lot topquilts and underquilts for my hammocks.

I would suggest that for most cases quilts will be lighter and perform just as well as sleeping bags. The only quilt I purchased was from Hammock Gear ( https://hammockgear.com/ ) and would buy from them again as the quality was amazing and you can actually call and talk to them .... they will discuss your needs and help narrow down what you need.

There are several cottage vendors who have the products that are amazing, maybe check out Hammock Forums ( https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forum.php ) ... they have a whole vendor section, there are so many choices from "smaller" suppliers vendors, even a forum for gear swap and used gear for sale.

You should be able to find what you are looking for there.

Brian

Enlightened Equipment makes great stuff. I have a couple of their quilts, the foot boxes unzip and their baffle system holds the down great.

I also use the Enlightened Equipment down to frosty nights but I'd order 20 degrees colder than you expect. My 20 degree quilt is a bit chilly at frost.

I have both an Enlightened Equipment quilt and a Hammock Gear quilt. They are both made very well. The Hammock Gear Econ burrow is a very good deal. I wanted a really warm quilt for early and late in the year, and I ordered a 0* quilt, with sewn foot and one ounce extra down. That thing looks like a stuffed sausage, and while I haven’t tried it outside yet, it is incredibly soft and has kept me too warm when sleeping in the house. (Gotta test it, though. :) ) There was a special right after Thanksgiving, that may have taken off 10%, but with the discount, my 0*, overstuffed, sewn foot box quilt cost around $230. If you don’t sleep in a hammock, exclusively, make sure you get the wide. I got my EE Enigma a couple of years ago, through Massdrop. It has done well at keeping its down. It is a 20* in the wide version, which is more than your 50” (I think it’s 54” or 56”), regular length, and has been comfortable for me down to about 30*. If you ask, they will put extra down in, for a reasonable price. The Massdrop version was maybe $210. Both manufacturers will make a version that is open at the bottom, or that you could open if you wish and close if you wish. Both are light, warm, and feel dreamy. I was worried about quilts letting in drafts, but the little cords and clips keep the quilts wrapped around my body, and make it possible for me to toss and turn and still stay covered. Hammockforums.net (I think, though it might be .com) discusses quilts a LOT, and so does WhiteBlaze.net. EE and HG get great reviews, as do Jacks R Better, and a handful of other vendors. All have thought through their systems, which work well. The Hammock Gear Econ Burrow is definitely a Best Buy. You always need a good pad, too. I use a Thermarest Neoair, which might not be such a good idea with your furry friend. Maybe a thicker pad for your, and a warm, closed cell for your dog? With quilts, you may not find one that’s really wide enough for you and your dog. Maybe s/he could have a Costco quilt and a half a closed cell foam pad, and snuggle right next to you on your NeoAir or Big Agnes insulated pad and a quilt?

Last edited:
I think the EE Revelation model has a foot box that opens. I'll have to look at those hammock designs to see if they are shaped right for me.

What do you think about getting an orange fabric color so it can be seen from the air in an emergency?

Last edited:
I own two Enlightened Equipment quilts...a 20* down and a 50* synthetic. My 20* has taken me to 20* a few times. Slept great with clothes on. My problem with it was down shift. Purchased 3 ounces of 850 fill down, opened the seams and added. The down stays put much better now.

Another company to consider with great reviews is UnderGround Quilts. I have an order in with them for a 20* overstuffed quilt. The reviews put them ahead of EE in my view.

I don't see myself ever going back to a sleeping bag even though I have a 0* and a 10* Western Mountaineering sleeping bags.

A quilt and a good pad let me sleep so much better.

I am using fahrenheit numbers above.

It is the EE Revolution that opens. I’ve read (WhiteBlaze?) that EE has been adding more down for the last year or maybe two. Apparently there were complaints that their quilts were cold. Comments have been made that the down simply needs to be dispersed when you lay out your quilt, and they have a little video about how to do that. We’re not just supposed to vigorously shake the quilt, but gently shake it, and then very gently push the down along the chamber until it’s dispersed evenly. The overstuffing is described as keeping the down from shifting, not as a way to increase the temperature rating. I’m thinking it’s a result of all that super-doper high fill down not really being all that high fill in the real world. So we pay for some extra super-doper fill down to fill in the gaps. I will say, that if you want to add more down to your existing quilt, do it while in a zipped up tent, so if the down starts to escape, you can still gather it.

Hammock Gear’s noted for selling quilts that are good to the designated temperature, but I don’t think theirs open. If you have a second pad and quilt for your pup, you might like having the closed end.

Stumpknocker is right, UnderGround Quilts makes really good quilts, as do Jacks R Better, and Cedar Ridge Outdoors. All of those manufacturers have reputations for great customer service. I’ve sent e-mail and gotten responses quickly, and the manufacturers seem to be willing to make adjustments. Give one or two a call and tell them what you have in mind. I believe hammockforums.net has special forum areas for each of the big manufacturers, and you can see what people have to say about their quilts, and what the manufacturers’ responses are. Some manufacturers may make quilts for couples that would give you enough room for you and your pup.

I got a quilt a few years ago, and I’m not going to be using sleeping bags again. Quilts are lighter, and I open the bags like a quilt anyway. This keeps me from tossing and turning and ending up with my hood in my face.

Now, as to orange, that’s a little like the debate between red or green canoes. I, personally, can’t stand orange. They taste delicious, but they look horrible. Slowest color ever. Your logic is good, though, even if you’ll end up with a hideous, ugly orange quilt. :)

Back