Pants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alsg View Post
    Do you guys who wear the same thing week after week bother to use bug repellent? Or do the mosquitoes just drop out of the sky stone dead when they get close enough to smell you?
    We used very little--I only used it on my hands during portages. Head net and bug shirts when we needed them.

Comment

You fellas that wear the same thing for weeks on end ever get SWAS (sweat ass) or SWALLS (figure it out on your own)? Just asking for a friend.

Comment

Nope

Comment

Nope

Comment

My tripping outer clothes come from thrift stores, so I have a selection of both honest to goodness cotton and special polywhatsitsname quick dry. Last I looked at my attire I had 2 prs of both shorts and pants in the special category and a whole drawer full of the cotton. Shirts are whatever I find. Undergarments are always new and quick dry. Cotton is dandy but poly is handy. For those inquiring minds wanting to probe the question of clammy environs south of the equator all I can say is there's nothing like stripping off like a Plaid Prancer at the end of a port and letting Mother Nature do her best. Quick dry undertheres perform well in this instance.
            And just to set the record straight I was always taught:
            Horses sweat,
            Men perspire,
            and Women glow.

Comment

A particularly moist Saturday begat "No Pants Sunday" - a day to lounge in one's underwear of choice while waiting for pants to dry as a result of either bad weather or a merciful rinse in the lake (without detergent, of course).

Click image for larger version  Name:	NPS.JPG Views:	0 Size:	158.0 KB ID:	103118

Comment

Dirty can be a bug repellent. I think layers. Long underwear merino wool top and bottoms. Another pair in shoulder season as you do not want to wear damp clothing to bed.( call this outfit the HOLY GRAIL that NEVER GETS WET. You may find out why) Wool Hat. Felted wool. Wool gloves to wear under work gloves.
                Sox lots of sox
                One spare pair of pants
                Nylon shirt long sleeve
                Silk long t shirt
                Wool over shirt
                Oversized raincoat.
                Bandana for that bug repellent that you will not need in May.

Forget the T shirts in May no matter what they are made out of. Tis not the season for cotton jersey. Cotton twill comes later in the season.

You can always wash. For three days or three weeks clothes fit in a 20 liter dry bag but the wool shirt and raincoat do have to live elsewhere as the raincoat comes to knees and the wool shirt is thick and bulky.

Comment

Originally posted by memaquay View Post
                  You fellas that wear the same thing for weeks on end ever get SWAS (sweat ass) or SWALLS (figure it out on your own)? Just asking for a friend.
                  Like the others said, no.

I could see those possibly being an issue in hot weather but seems like on a spring trip there will be minor sweating. On that trip I'd expect to wear the same clothes for a week and walk into a restaurant without anyone batting an eye (after putting on deodorant).

SWAA and SWALLS are foreign concepts to me and the need for wet wipes or baby powder for nether regions are a mystery.

Like I said in that other thread there must be large differences between people and how they sweat. My last girlfriend commented one time how surprised she was that my sweat didn't stink. That seems like a trait that would bode well for endeavors with the opposite sex but past performance says it plays a minor role.

For you fellas that use wet wipes down below: were you never taught how to properly use toilet paper? Just asking for a friend.

Alan

Comment

I wear a pair of Peragis canoeing pants and take a pair of long johns and a pair of wool shorts (that I cut down from pants) for versatility or back up.

The Peragis pants are thin and cool so if it gets cold out I can slip the wool shorts over the top of them, or wear them with the long johns or all three. If it's hot and not buggy I can just wear the wool shorts.

I had to resort to my back up pants for the first time ever this past spring when my Peragis pants blew apart on me. When I got to my campsite and I kneeled down to light the fire a six inch hole opened in the knee. Next time I squatted, and an even bigger whole opened up in the crotch, I knew the pants were trashed.

The photo is me wearing my back up pants. BTW the Peragis pants were maybe close to 25 years old and I ordered a new pair as soon as I got home.

Comment

"A particularly moist Saturday begat "No Pants Sunday".
                      I would not want this to be part of my tripping experience, if those guys with their junk pulled out the p-hole of their tighty-whiteys were along.

"All I had were a few flies tucked into the band of my hat and an a old beaten-up Heddon rod, that had been on many trips." Sigurd F. Olson

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Gage View Post
                        I could see those possibly being an issue in hot weather but seems like on a spring trip there will be minor sweating.
                        Ah, Alan, you don’t sweat like a fat man. Maybe I should lose the adipose insulation and go un-stinky pits vegan lifestyle. Ehhhh, probably not happening.

SWAA and SWALLS are foreign concepts to me and the need for wet wipes or baby powder for nether regions are a mystery.
                        The acronyms remain a bit mysterious, but I do love me some Wet-wipe on off season trips when swimming is out of the question.

My last girlfriend commented one time how surprised she was that my sweat didn't stink. That seems like a trait that would bode well for endeavors with the opposite sex but past performance says it plays a minor role.
                        She may have been after something else performance-wise, and willing to ignore the Alan stank. If you never took her on a long canoe trip, who knows? She may have smelled like week old Opossum road kill after a couple days unshowered. I’m sure, to your nose, you were still fresh as a daisy.

For you fellas that use wet wipes down below: were you never taught how to properly use toilet paper? Just asking for a friend.
                        OK, straight up, you did ask, and I will answer. It’s not a poorly wiped stinky ass crack; that part gets scraped clean a couple times a day. It’s the taint and old-man low hanging ball sack nether regions that get funky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hajqD_ylV0

Comment

Originally posted by Mike McCrea View Post

OK, straight up, you did ask, and I will answer. It’s not a poorly wiped stinky ass crack; that part gets scraped clean a couple times a day. It’s the taint and old-man low hanging ball sack nether regions that get funky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hajqD_ylV0
                          Ain't no way I'm clicking that link.

Alan

Comment

Me neither...yuck!

Comment

My grandparents lived without indoor plumbing and heated their house with coal. I still have grandma's chamber pot (aka slop jar). Weekly sponge baths were the standard. I think about how they got used to human odors out of necessity, still made babies and attended church in with no A/C, never used deodorant or antiperspirant. Cowboy up, buttercups.

Comment

Usually, the only things I carry "extra" are socks and a cotton t-shirt to sleep in. Everything else is just one... layers are about as follows:

Normal clothing is pants, synth underwear, synth t-shirt, nylon long sleeve shirt, tilly hat, knit hat, rain poncho, wool socks, and merrill moab ventilator shoes.

When it's a little colder, add a sweater, long johns, a vest (thin or thick), some sort of outer wind/waterproof layer, and maybe muck boots vs shoes. Maybe swap the tilly for a ballcap (knit hat fits over it better).

When it's a lot colder, maybe add an outer layer of "field pants", add a liner for the pants and jacket, change footgear to thicker socks and felt-lined boots.

I generally don't bring a lot of spare clothes just to have them 'clean'. I wash as I go.
                                Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you. John Muir

Comment

Working...
                                X