• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Pants?

A particularly moist Saturday begat "No Pants Sunday" - a day to lounge in one's underwear of choice while waiting for pants to dry as a result of either bad weather or a merciful rinse in the lake (without detergent, of course).

Click image for larger version  Name:	NPS.JPG Views:	0 Size:	158.0 KB ID:	103118

Dirty can be a bug repellent. I think layers. Long underwear merino wool top and bottoms. Another pair in shoulder season as you do not want to wear damp clothing to bed.( call this outfit the HOLY GRAIL that NEVER GETS WET. You may find out why) Wool Hat. Felted wool. Wool gloves to wear under work gloves.
Sox lots of sox
One spare pair of pants
Nylon shirt long sleeve
Silk long t shirt
Wool over shirt
Oversized raincoat.
Bandana for that bug repellent that you will not need in May.

Forget the T shirts in May no matter what they are made out of. Tis not the season for cotton jersey. Cotton twill comes later in the season.

You can always wash. For three days or three weeks clothes fit in a 20 liter dry bag but the wool shirt and raincoat do have to live elsewhere as the raincoat comes to knees and the wool shirt is thick and bulky.

You fellas that wear the same thing for weeks on end ever get SWAS (sweat arse) or SWALLS (figure it out on your own)? Just asking for a friend.

Like the others said, no.

I could see those possibly being an issue in hot weather but seems like on a spring trip there will be minor sweating. On that trip I'd expect to wear the same clothes for a week and walk into a restaurant without anyone batting an eye (after putting on deodorant).

SWAA and SWALLS are foreign concepts to me and the need for wet wipes or baby powder for nether regions are a mystery.

Like I said in that other thread there must be large differences between people and how they sweat. My last girlfriend commented one time how surprised she was that my sweat didn't stink. That seems like a trait that would bode well for endeavors with the opposite sex but past performance says it plays a minor role.

For you fellas that use wet wipes down below: were you never taught how to properly use toilet paper? Just asking for a friend.

Alan

I wear a pair of Peragis canoeing pants and take a pair of long johns and a pair of wool shorts (that I cut down from pants) for versatility or back up.

The Peragis pants are thin and cool so if it gets cold out I can slip the wool shorts over the top of them, or wear them with the long johns or all three. If it's hot and not buggy I can just wear the wool shorts.

I had to resort to my back up pants for the first time ever this past spring when my Peragis pants blew apart on me. When I got to my campsite and I kneeled down to light the fire a six inch hole opened in the knee. Next time I squatted, and an even bigger whole opened up in the crotch, I knew the pants were trashed.

The photo is me wearing my back up pants. BTW the Peragis pants were maybe close to 25 years old and I ordered a new pair as soon as I got home.

Attachments

• photo12058.jpg
    photo12058.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 1
"A particularly moist Saturday begat "No Pants Sunday".
I would not want this to be part of my tripping experience, if those guys with their junk pulled out the p-hole of their tighty-whiteys were along.

I could see those possibly being an issue in hot weather but seems like on a spring trip there will be minor sweating.

Ah, Alan, you don’t sweat like a fat man. Maybe I should lose the adipose insulation and go un-stinky pits vegan lifestyle. Ehhhh, probably not happening.

SWAA and SWALLS are foreign concepts to me and the need for wet wipes or baby powder for nether regions are a mystery.

The acronyms remain a bit mysterious, but I do love me some Wet-wipe on off season trips when swimming is out of the question.

My last girlfriend commented one time how surprised she was that my sweat didn't stink. That seems like a trait that would bode well for endeavors with the opposite sex but past performance says it plays a minor role.

She may have been after something else performance-wise, and willing to ignore the Alan stank. If you never took her on a long canoe trip, who knows? She may have smelled like week old Opossum road kill after a couple days unshowered. I’m sure, to your nose, you were still fresh as a daisy.

For you fellas that use wet wipes down below: were you never taught how to properly use toilet paper? Just asking for a friend.

OK, straight up, you did ask, and I will answer. It’s not a poorly wiped stinky arse crack; that part gets scraped clean a couple times a day. It’s the taint and old-man low hanging ball sack nether regions that get funky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hajqD_ylV0

My grandparents lived without indoor plumbing and heated their house with coal. I still have grandma's chamber pot (aka slop jar). Weekly sponge baths were the standard. I think about how they got used to human odors out of necessity, still made babies and attended church in with no A/C, never used deodorant or antiperspirant. Cowboy up, buttercups.

Usually, the only things I carry "extra" are socks and a cotton t-shirt to sleep in. Everything else is just one... layers are about as follows:

Normal clothing is pants, synth underwear, synth t-shirt, nylon long sleeve shirt, tilly hat, knit hat, rain poncho, wool socks, and merrill moab ventilator shoes.

When it's a little colder, add a sweater, long johns, a vest (thin or thick), some sort of outer wind/waterproof layer, and maybe muck boots vs shoes. Maybe swap the tilly for a ballcap (knit hat fits over it better).

When it's a lot colder, maybe add an outer layer of "field pants", add a liner for the pants and jacket, change footgear to thicker socks and felt-lined boots.

I generally don't bring a lot of spare clothes just to have them 'clean'. I wash as I go.

Redundancy is mostly underwear and socks on trips as long as a month.
For pants, I like the Railriders.....they have 2-3 models that work well.
I do take a pair of fleece pants like worn under waders as these are great under rain pants on those cold nasty days.

Redundancy is mostly underwear and socks on trips as long as a month.
For pants, I like the Railriders.....they have 2-3 models that work well.
I do take a pair of fleece pants like worn under waders as these are great under rain pants on those cold nasty days.

Which Railriders do you prefer? I like the material, but find some models too restrictive for canoe sitting. The hiking pants I tried on seemed narrow in the hips.

Which Railriders do you prefer? I like the material, but find some models too restrictive for canoe sitting. The hiking pants I tried on seemed narrow in the hips.

I see they have quite a few new models since I last looked. I think it's the Bushwhacker Weather pants I prefer but probably not what you'd like based on your description. I'm 6'1" and 165-170 pounds and I find they fit me very well. Loose enough to not be constraining but tight enough to not feel like MC Hammer pants.

I also have a pair of the Versa Tac pants that I don't like because they're baggier than I like.

Alan

I got a FjallRaven Barents pants for as a Christmas gift. While waiting to get them hemmed to my inseam, was wondering if they are up to the canoe tripping life? All my friends from Scandinavia are wearing them or pants like them when camping, berry picking, fishing, travel, so I'm thinking they must be tough.

I've had the Fjallraven Vidda Pro Trousers for a couple of years now and really like them weel enough to buy a second pair

The Piragis pants have a nice cut for canoeing, but I've had some bad luck with them though from a durability standpoint.

Mine lasted a long time without a problem. The new pair I got seem to be made of a little heavier material. They seem to have a more cotton like feel than the originals and I like them even more

They used an inferior thread for a while. Busted crotch seams were common. The thread seemed to rot. They "upgraded" the design a few years ago and they seem to hold up better. Still got an old pair that doesn't leave home. You can pull seams apart by hand if you try. Newer ones are heavier all around.

I see that a number of you wear store bought outdoor pants that come with reinforced areas at the knees and arse. (Piragis. Fjallraven.) I particularly like how some outdoor clothing has articulated elbows, knees etc. I've been researching simple sewing methods of reinforcing ordinary pants I already own to make them more durable. Adding darts, serging seams, blah blah blah. I may actually take a stab at this if my wife lets me near the sewing machine.
Have any of you tried making/altering your own outdoor clothing such as pants? Any successes or failures to share?

I once bought some sierra design quick dry pants, they were on sale at the store for about ten bucks. Thought they were a great buy, till I got in the bush and found out they were women's pants. There was a difference, I was very stylish, but the seam went right up the middle to the zipper, vertically, not horizontally, causing a very uncomfortable "parting of the ways".

Back