2020 Meteor Showers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike,

I don’t know what it is about the Pleiades/Seven Sisters/etc, but that is always the first thing that draws my eye on a clear winter night.
    Yes, the Pleiades are an especially brilliant star cluster... through binoculars, they're all a uniform and pure blue color, with very fine detail that seems diamond-like in a dark sky.. Also nearby and to the east is Orion, very distinctive of winter night skies.

Couldn't stop from googling further and need to get out there on a clear night sometime soon...midway from Orion and the Pleiades is the constellation Taurus which includes the Hyades star cluster, less impressive but still worth a look. Unlike the uniformly blue collection of stars of the Pleiades, it includes a yellow and blue double star combination Theta Tauri. Also Aldebaran in Taurus and Betelgeuse in Orion, red giants for contrasting colors.

One of the best pieces of gear I ever bought were good-quality binoculars... the sharpness and clarity is amazing at times and besides stars, birds are another thing to look at that's often impressive with sharp detail being shown in every feather becoming visible.

New Year's Day, maybe I'll wander off to the Lake Ontario waterfront to spend some time looking around with the binos... happy 2020!

Comment

Meteors should be visible about 3AM EST Saturday morning, good show predicted for eastern NA... unfortunately cloudy skies forecast for S Ont. Moonset at about 2AM EST

https://www.skyandtelescope.com/astr...meteor-shower/
      Last edited by frozentripper; 01-02-2020, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Canoeing and meteor showers came together for me in the late 60's when I participated in the Paddlerama, a Philadelphia Council of the BSA sponsored 50 mile, 2 day, relay race down the Delaware River between PA and NJ. On race weekend, our team camped cowboy-style (no tents) in the field next to the starting gate. The race was then held on the second weekend in August and always coincided with the Perseid meteor shower. It was awesome to lie back in our sleeping bags and view the show in comfort! I've always seeked out meteors ever since.

The attached link has a Boy's Life article about the race, and the page above has photos from the training weekend that took place the month before the race each year. The bald guy in the top photo was my scoutmaster and mentor. He was often mistaken for the actor Yul Brynner, and we sometimes called him that! The kid in the lower left photo is my old pal Scott from my troop. You'll note that all the canoes are Grumman aluminum... everybody used them. We eventually graduated to fiberglass C-1's and kayaks, but earned our paddling experience in the good old 17' Grumman everywhere from whitewater runs on the Lehigh river in Spring flood stage, to Algonquin, the Allagash, the Abitibi, etc.

Click on the top line: Boys Life...

Boys' Life is the official youth magazine for the Boy Scouts of America. Published since 1911, it contains a proven mix of news, nature, sports, history, fiction, science, comics, and Scouting.

Comment

I'll be in the depths of the Grand Canyon for the Lyrids. Something to look forward to!

Comment

Working...
          X