tandem stability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JackL View Post
    What I would do in your case; make sure all the gear is balanced and the canoe is trim. You (not in the canoe) hold it absolutely as firm as you can and have her get in and sit in the middle. Then you get in (keeping it balanced as you do). Then tell her if she feels like paddling to go ahead and try it, but if she doesn't ,just enjoy the ride and you do the paddle using J strokes or switches or what ever way you are good at to keep it going straight.
    On getting out do the exact same with you getting out first.
    Yeah. Luckily this tandem has seats fore, aft, and amidships. That was a huge bonus with this boat. If I seat her in the middle, should I place more gear/weight in the bow to even it out?

Comment

To add: I spent years since I was a kid paddling with my Dad in the OT camper. Granted, that's an incredibly stable canoe. He did the J on the left and I did the forward stroke on my right. This was river paddling with class 2 vs completely flat water.

Comment

Originally posted by Chansta View Post

Yeah. Luckily this tandem has seats fore, aft, and amidships. That was a huge bonus with this boat. If I seat her in the middle, should I place more gear/weight in the bow to even it out?
        I need to apologize for my saying "the middle" - By middle I meant the middle of the bow seat. Not on one side or the other of it. the gear should be in the middle of the canoe. Either a little forward or a little aft, depending on yours and her weight, to get the boat trim or a tad bow light..
        Never get the bow heavy, or you will end up zigging and zagging

Comment

Originally posted by JackL View Post

I need to apologize for my saying "the middle" - By middle I meant the middle of the bow seat. Not on one side or the other of it. the gear should be in the middle of the canoe. Either a little forward or a little aft, depending on yours and her weight, to get the boat trim or a tad bow light..
          Never get the bow heavy, or you will end up zigging and zagging
          I understand. Makes sense now. Unfortunately there is a hole in the cane seat where she'll be paddling, but I can just put a foam pad on top.

Comment

Originally posted by Chansta View Post

I understand. Makes sense now. Unfortunately there is a hole in the cane seat where she'll be paddling, but I can just put a foam pad on top.
            Perfect ! Put a five gallon bucket under it and you just invented the first canoe with a built in porta-john. We'll go into business together and make a fortune

Comment

Putting foam on top of the seat will raise it and could make it more unstable.

Comment

Perhaps we are over-analyzing for a 10-minute flatwater paddle. Just go and see what happens. You will be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by lowangle al View Post
                  Putting foam on top of the seat will raise it and could make it more unstable.
                  It's a tiny piece of foam. I can't see it making that much difference. Just enough to cover the hole.

Comment

Well, maybe with a little more experience and coordination between bow and stern paddlers you will see the benefits of hip on gunwale paddling. As I said, in addition to increased overall stability. you will find it much easier and more efficient to do most canoe strokes with both hands available over the water surface, instead of improperly doing unintended partial sweeps from the center of the seat.
                    "She's all my fancy painted her, she's lovely, she is light. She waltzes on the waves by day and rests with me at night." - Nessmuk, Forest and Stream, July 21, 1880 [of the Wood Drake Canoe built for him by Rushton]

Comment

If by tiny you mean thin then that's OK as long as it provides comfort. If you have a small hole in the cane keep in mind that it can become a large hole real quick and than ask if that thin or tiny piece of foam will cut it.

Comment

One could always kneel in front of the seat with the hole, with one’s butt leaning up against the seat. It’s pretty comfortable, especially for only ten minutes. One could also buy or borrow some knee pads, the kind used by flooring people.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/cat...knee-pads.html

Comment

Originally posted by lowangle al View Post
                          If by tiny you mean thin then that's OK as long as it provides comfort. If you have a small hole in the cane keep in mind that it can become a large hole real quick and than ask if that thin or tiny piece of foam will cut it.
                          It's a large enough hole but the padding will keep my weight off of it. The nearest person to fix it is two hours away and I typically solo this boat in the center seat kneeling.

Comment

Go ahead and cover the hole with wihatever you have. I actually prefer a higher than normal seat and sit on a couple of pads to elevate me, although less stable, not to fear, I have more control over the paddle and thus the over the canoe also in that situation.
                            Last edited by yknpdlr; 12-26-2019, 08:05 AM.
                            "She's all my fancy painted her, she's lovely, she is light. She waltzes on the waves by day and rests with me at night." - Nessmuk, Forest and Stream, July 21, 1880 [of the Wood Drake Canoe built for him by Rushton]

Comment

Originally posted by PaddlingPitt View Post
                              One could always kneel in front of the seat with the hole, with one’s butt leaning up against the seat. It’s pretty comfortable, especially for only ten minutes. One could also buy or borrow some knee pads, the kind used by flooring people.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/cat...knee-pads.html
                              That's a fine idea!

Comment

Originally posted by PaddlingPitt View Post
                                Perhaps we are over-analyzing for a 10-minute flatwater paddle. Just go and see what happens. You will be ok.
                                What PaddlingPitt said.

Go, you'll be fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X