• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Personal hygiene on extended trips (The Deodorant Debate)

Personal hygiene on extended trips (The Deodorant Debate)

• Total voters
Having some Celtic blood I could rock the kilt thing if it weren't for me having skinny stick legs and knobby knees. The skeeters and black flies wouldn't mind I'm sure. As far as body odour goes on trips I try to keep on top of it with occasional washes, whatever form those come in, plunging, dipping, splashing etc. We tried the baby wipes when the kids were young, but haven't considered them in years. I may reconsider bringing them, but so far a cloth with soap and water still does the job for me. Reusable, nothing to throw away. Do what works for you.
http://adventurebaby.com/best-biodegradable-baby-wipes/

Last edited:
Odyssey- so glad to hear/read someone else that did the whole cloth diaper bit while camping and canoeing! Yup small bucket with tight lid and bleach for many years of tripping- thankfully many years ago now. Looking back now, definitely part of it was environmental for sure but another factor was the cost!
I had put those specific memories from those years in Killarney and Algonquin away....

Bruce

Odyssey- so glad to hear/read someone else that did the whole cloth diaper bit while camping and canoeing! Yup small bucket with tight lid and bleach for many years of tripping- thankfully many years ago now. Looking back now, definitely part of it was environmental for sure but another factor was the cost!
I had put those specific memories from those years in Killarney and Algonquin away....

Bruce

Ha, sorry. I edited out my ranting thing and may have left you hanging.
Yes, we tried the disposable route in our lives and I guilt tripped myself back into the old school cloth diapers/wash cloths. It felt good returning back to "civilization" with nothing much but a little itty bitty bag to toss into the dumpster. I struggled with the whole consumerism throw away approach to living, and still do I suppose.
The diaper days had their challenges whatever you wrapped your baby in. But once you get past the ick factor it becomes a methodical procedure. I became quite good at diaper changes, anywhere anytime. The most difficult part for me was the dreaded diaper pinning. Oh gawd I hated that. I don't miss any of it, so with every new baby born into our extended family "I forget how the whole diaper thing works."

Last edited:
Lowangle Al, the only time I have seen someone rip off the arms of their shirt on a trip, it was because they had run out of toilet paper. So why don't you tell us the real story behind that pic?

Lowangle Al, the only time I have seen someone rip off the arms of their shirt on a trip, it was because they had run out of toilet paper. So why don't you tell us the real story behind that pic?

If I had an upper body like that I wouldn't even be wearing a shirt. And I'd vacation somewhere hot women hang out rather than hiding myself in the bush.

Alan

Mem, I don't use or take TP in canoe country, I use sphagnum, it's dry on top and damp on the bottom(no pun intended) so it's versatile, and if you need a rewipe:eek: you don't have to dig into your pack.

That shirt was almost 40 years old and the sleeves wore out a long time ago and I turned it into a vest, besides it was wool and could be itchy.

The story behind the picture was that I just surprised my wife by pulling that magnum of champagne out of my pack, which we drank pretty quickly and had a good buzz going.

Thanks for the kind words Alan, you're probably all forearms from all that autobody work.

The story behind the picture was that I just surprised my wife by pulling that magnum of champagne out of my pack, which we drank pretty quickly and had a good buzz going.

Haha! So you just take hot babes into the bush with you. That's an even better idea. Kind of like a Tarzan and Jane thing. They should make a romance novel about it. You've already got the cover photo.

Alan

Modern deodorant is one of the crowning achievements of science. I'm stunned anyone would go anywhere without it. I guess if there was no such thing as deodorant, it'd be like in days of yore: we'd all stink and nobody would think anything about it. But, there is such a thing, and I appreciate if you use it!

I think 5 days is as long as I've gone without some kind of cleanup. In warmer weather, it's simple. Go for a swim. Other times, it's been a jug of water or in winter a pot of heated water. To me, few things feel better than degrunging after days of sweat and grime. I've used wipes a few times, and that helps, but nothing works quite as well as what an earlier contributor to this thread called "the universal solvent," water. Once clean, I reapply unscented deodorant.

I took a summertime trip on the Pacific side of Vancouver Island. The days were warm, but we all wore drysuits due to the chilly water temperature. After a couple days, I was very grateful when we all zipped up the drysuits. And it wasn't so much the others, I was quarantining my own stink. The fifth day, I found an intertidal pool that had warmed a bit in the sun. Even salt water felt good by that time.

Like others, I also overpack socks, along with gloves and hats.

Lowangle, here's a pic of me with champagne on my honey moon trip with my love. Difference is, I could probably fit the whole bottle in my belly button, you, not so much.

Difference is, I could probably fit the whole bottle in my belly button, you, not so much.

Photos or it didn’t happen.

I did see the Father of the Bride explode a Champagne cork into his eye socket. A bottle of bourbon never did do that.

As a deodorant alternative and something with multiple purposes while tripping, I have long switched over to using a small 100ml(or smaller) spray bottle of isopropyl alcohol. In fact I use this day to day even when not tripping. The alcohol kills the bacteria that cause the smell. I have found with regular use I no longer develop the smell I use to. Being non-fragrant it is not an attractant around camp, doubles as a disinfectant for any nicks or scrapes and has also found a place in my kitchen set up by being a great pre-heater for my liquid fueled stove. A few sprays on the pre-heating pad (Optimus Nova), burn it off and then it is nicely heated for when I turn on the gas without any flare up.

Ryan, I like that idea. What spray bottle has worked to keep the alcohol secured un-leaky and un-evaporated while tripping?

heck, if not a spray dispenser I bet a Zippo fuel squirt bottle would work; I might even start bringing one of my sentimental Zippo lighters again, just for the auditory familiarity of that snap/snick flame. I’m in, although my armpits may smell of Ronson fuel at first.

I keep spray bottles of plain water, soapy water and alcohol in the shop. The nearest sink is two doors away, tracking shop dust though the house. I can wash and rinse small areas without leaving the shop with simple spray bottle application. And aim spray use just enough.

With the alcohol bottle I was often splashing out more than needed, “Oh look, now I can wipe down my shoes”. And forever misplacing the cap to the bottle; 10 seconds of alcohol wipe down followed by 10 minutes of looking for where I set the little white cap is not an efficient shop methodology.

The water and soapy water have worked well stored in cheap plant sprayer bottles, but the alcohol eventually ate the spray gaskets on several different attempts at spray bottles. I’ve now had shop use alcohol in a flea & tick spray bottle for several years, refilled dozens of times, still going strong. Used it minutes ago to clean an area before some sticky backed Velcro went on, use it anytime anything self-adhesive goes on.

Yippee! I haven’t lost the cap to the alcohol bottle in years, and my shop alcohol supply lasts much longer. (Maybe I should decant the IPA’s into a spray bottle)

I will eventually find a similarly resistant-gasketed bottle in which to keep a shop sprayer of vinegar. Water, soapy water, alcohol and vinegar constitute 90% of my small area cleaning product use, having the first three grab ready in sprayer bottles really helps.

A local grocery store carries the 100ml pump bottles of Isopropyl in their pharmacy section. I may or may not have misplaced the little plastic cap that goes over the pump.... but it doesn't leak without it. I have also used empty eyedrop squirt bottles. Depending on the style you may need to slightly enlarge the hole to suck the alcohol up into it if it is not the type were you can pull out the dropper tip and put it back in.

Attachments

• photo13973.jpg
    photo13973.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 0
I have also used empty eyedrop squirt bottles. Depending on the style you may need to slightly enlarge the hole to suck the alcohol up into it if it is not the type were you can pull out the dropper tip and put it back in.

Thanks Ryan. I love the suggestions, ideas and solutions folks offer on this board.

I have an aerosol can of Teflon dry film used at home for zipper lubrication, and just got a 6oz bottle of liquid Teflon dry film that I wanted to somehow decant and bring along on dusty trips. I don’t need to carry the full 6oz of that Teflon film, but an ounce would be perfect on long desert trips for occasional zipper maintenance and lubrication.

An empty 1oz nasal spray bottle sucked an ounce of that liquid Teflon from a shot glass easy enough.

So easy that I used another to suck up 1oz of 90% alcohol.

I really like the alcohol squirt bottle idea; hygiene, 1[SUP]st[/SUP] aid, fire starter, chair-sleeping companion hot foot flame trail (“Hey Doug, wake up!”). Just kidding. . . . . probably).

I did a little squirt test with some damp wood in the backyard fire barrel, 91% alcohol flames up nicely with the flick of a Bic.

In the interest of experimentation I laid both little squeeze bottles over on their sides, with screw caps on, and set them aside on a paper towel to see if there is eventually any Teflon leakage or alcohol evaporation. If successful those 1oz squeeze bottles will go in tiny Zip-locks for doubled leak protection storage.

(Yes, I re-labeled the nasal spray bottles with a Sharpie, “ALCOHOL”, and “TEFLON FILM”. So I don’t inadvertently end up with the world’s slipperiest boogers)

Once I know if this works with the Teflon dry film I may suck up a couple ½ oz Visine bottles for zipper-killer friends to bring on desert trips.

I don’t have many near empty nasal spray squirters, but I do have a collection of mostly empty Visine bottles. That is a Get-the-red-out curiosity for sure.

And, if the squirt bottle of alcohol proves oft-used multi-function handy may use a larger Ronson lighter fuel squeeze bottle as the alcohol container.

Thanks Ryan, you made me curious enough to internet investigate isopropyl alcohol as a topical skin cleanser. It having antiseptic qualities is the reason I've used it occasionally at home but never thought of travelling with it. The minimal quantities required makes it an ideal travelling companion. We're not germaphobes in our home lives but am now convinced of adding a little bottle of multipurpose rubbing alcohol to our travelling kit.

Last edited:
I intended to wait a week to see if the little spray bottles of alcohol and Teflon dry film, laid over on their sides, showed any sign or leakage or evaporation, but kinda forgot about them. Zero Teflon dry film leakage or alcohol evaporation after two weeks.

P1280013 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Next test, the seldom-est cleaned and becoming most recalcitrant zippered bags I carry, the filthy toiletry kit bag and the (medium sized) first aid kit, the latter has too many oft unopened exterior and interior zippers.

P1280015 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The toiletry kit zipper, having been opened at least twice a day, and damp sponge cleaned at some point, wasn’t too bad, but it sounded a little GRLLZZRRRLL zipper tooth sick.

The seldom opened zippers on the first aid kit were another story. The back panel zipper on the personal first aid kit was finger immovable, requiring a pre-lube and a pair of pliers to open. That was a seldom unzipped mystery pocket that seemed to contain nothing. Oh boy, some pink surveyor’s ribbon. Wonder why I haven’t opened that zippered compartment very often.

P1280019 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The main compartment opened without need of pliers; but still took some force. Not exactly what you want in a zippered 1[SUP]st[/SUP] aid bag. And there are more interior zippered compartments than I need, all somehow white crusty salted and recalcitrant from tidal trip exposure. I am increasingly not a fan of zippered pouches on tidal water trips.

P1280021 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

There was some serious sponge smutch just from those little zippers, and unlike tent zipper those bags are usually stored away, largely protected from blowing dust and grit. Salt encrustation on tidal trips is insidious. With all of the zippers finally opened I used a little (cut off piece) of wet sponge action along the zippers first, to remove any dust, dirt or sand debris.

P1280017 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Just damp cleaning the zippers on those little pouches left some crud on the sponge, and I’m about to do some Teflon dry film lubrication, might as well attend to cleaning and lubing some other zippers, raingear, down vest, heavy weight fleece jacket, all oft camp worn.

Yeah, those left some serious crud on the sponge. I wonder how much of that black from the clothing zippers is campfire smoke soot and the like.

P1280024 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I do gently launder the clothing items (with zippers closed), but I guess that alone is not enough to thoroughly clean the zipper teeth.

Cleaned with a damp sponge, let dry and Telfon dry film applied (I used the Teflon spray on the clothing) all of those zippers now have much smoother action. Lesson learned; I need to clean and maintain zippers more frequently.

And I had opportunity to revisit and replenish the contents of that 1[SUP]st[/SUP] aid kit, something else I should check more frequently.

The 1oz squirt bottle of Teflon dry film is now ziplock bagged in the Spares & Repairs kit, and the squirt bottle of 91% alcohol ziplocked in the essentials bag. If I find that alcohol bottle oft used handy for hygiene wipe downs or quickie fire starter I may fill a larger lighter fuel bottle.

https://www.amazon.com/Ronson-ounce...t=&hvlocphy=9007844&hvtargid=pla-849246192667

I know those Ronsonol (Naptha) plastic squirt bottles don’t degrade, leak or evaporate; I’ve had one half full for years. And years and years; I can still read the $3.19 price tag. danged inflation.

Back