• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Personal hygiene on extended trips (The Deodorant Debate)

Personal hygiene on extended trips (The Deodorant Debate)

• Total voters
OK, I will add to the nail-biting suspense and tension being built in this thread with HOOP's vid on how to apply insect repellant properly. You'll notice that the hat, a key element to be considered in the war on biting bugs is not treated.

This is a kinder, gentler sort of vid (in the past HOOP has been known to be a little edgy at times, IIRC beating up Mike McRae over an issue of moving campfire rocks that may have been in place since prehistoric times). As well as other canoe-related issues that included yours truly

This one, however, is soothing and pleasant to see and listen to, a breath of cool air much like the freshness of Deep Woods Off, 25%, taken on a hot, muggy day. I've replayed this vid several times since it was first posted and have enjoyed it every time.

Enjoy and absorb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPwvTWGtS3A

This is a kinder, gentler sort of vid (in the past HOOP has been known to be a little edgy at times, IIRC beating up Mike McRae over an issue of moving campfire rocks that may have been in place since prehistoric times).

I got a laugh thinking about that thread, and how it went south for inexplicable reasons. Parts of it were WTF amusing.

HOOP came out swinging when I mentioned disassembling and consolidating some of the half dozen rock fire rings found on lower Susquehanna sites, near where I grew up, still live and have paddled since the mid 60’s.

I explained a bit about the area’s typical usage. Unregulated island campsites. Sites that are camped on 200+ days a year, mostly by locals in powerboats. Islands sites on the lower Susquehanna Conowingo Pool between dams, amidst the east coast megalopolis. Sites that routinely disappear under raging floodwaters and emerge much changed; after Hurricane Agnes in ’72 entire islands were swept denuded clean. Same for Hurricane David in ’79.

There is little there but rocks. Rocks galore, and some fire rings were atop hemlock roots or directly beneath overhanging boughs. So many fire rings on some sites that there was hardly room for a tent.

At least one fire ring guaranteed to have a wet, dirty tube sock left behind. Not prehistoric fire rings. Or prehistoric tube socks.

This part of HOOP’s response was such a classic that I saved it:

It has nothing to do with tripping in the boreal. What applies in my area is universally applicable

I like some of HOOP’s videos, and use some of the techniques he has shown, but believe there is little that is “universally applicable”; some practices and techniques work well in the boreal or Canadian Shield may be less well suited for the Everglades, western desert rivers, coastal barrier islands or swamp camping. Or heavily trafficked sites on the Conowingo Pool.

The funniest part was that HOOP later posted a trip report that included him moving rocks.

Thoroughly chastened, and apparently not smart enough to move last weekend’s poorly situated fire ring rocks without supervision, I no longer camp on the lower Susquehanna.

Thanks Frozentripper, I needed a laugh.

Last edited:
Not to get too far off topic, and keeping it related to hygiene, but with all these youtube people telling us how things are done, I'm surprised that no-one has made a video about how to poop in the woods. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I seldom feel the need to tell anyone how to do anything, and making videos about it would seem to be pretty much as boring as watching the dang things.

Not to get too far off topic, and keeping it related to hygiene, but with all these youtube people telling us how things are done, I'm surprised that no-one has made a video about how to poop in the woods. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I seldom feel the need to tell anyone how to do anything, and making videos about it would seem to be pretty much as boring as watching the dang things.

lol. I'm not gonna go looking for it, but I suspect such videos exist.

Saw me off and call me shorty, I just googled it and got countless youtube videos about how to crap in the woods. I'm right some disgusted with humanity now. Who needs to be told how to pinch one off? Really?

Here's one from Kevin Callan, and the gal from that winter camping place. Her advice is crap, I have been forced to use snow for TP, and it was not refreshing at all, in fact, it should probably be adopted by the Special Ops torture squad to get info from terrorists when all other methods have failed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OvyEr9ji0o

Saw me off and call me shorty, I just googled it and got countless youtube videos about how to crap in the woods. I'm right some disgusted with humanity now. Who needs to be told how to pinch one off? Really?

Lord only knows what kinds of ads Google is going to start throwing your way. Better you than me.

Here's one from Kevin Callan, and the gal from that winter camping place. Her advice is crap, I have been forced to use snow for TP, and it was not refreshing at all, in fact, it should probably be adopted by the Special Ops torture squad to get info from terrorists when all other methods have failed.

Well, I would never have thought I’d watch a “How to crap in the woods” video. And now I have.

Or at least the first few seconds worth. When it got to “The ideal temperature for a hockey puck anus scraper is between minus 3 and minus 5. . . . .” I lost interest. I’m gonna check my temperature gauge for “ideal” conditions before wiping?

“Refreshing”? Seriously? I’ll just dig a hole through the snow down into the soil. Or use a bucket and wag bag.

A six minute video on how to rub DEET into your skin?

I refuse to rub DEET on my forehead. I sweat like a mofo in hot humid conditions, and DEET sweat dripping in my eyes is worse than bug bites; I’ll just pull my hat down further and suffer without blinky stinging eyes.

But my way is not “universally applicable”.

No deodorant in the woods ever (not keen on bug spray or sunscreen either).

For trips over 3 days, it's daily sponge baths if it's warm, or every other day after dinner by the fire if not. Feet get washed daily; there's too much at stake to let them rot (old Infantry discipline coming out there.) Butt gets at least a wet wipe daily. Brushing teeth feels really good, as does a comb through my thinning hair (especially if it's been under a hat all day.) There is no reason to be filthy. I'm just more comfortable when I'm clean-ish. I do not take pride in reeking. The soap, washcloth, towel, toothbrush, comb, and paste roll into a package that weighs about 8oz and is roughly 5" wide and 3" in diameter. I also have a 3oz pocket shower for use in summer.

Just to get back onto the topic, saw a vid once where a bear, maybe a grizzly, was checking out a remote campsite and it was the scented soap he was interested in... here's what turns up with a google.

While cooking over a campfire is bound to emit some smells, others can be avoided. Lotions, deodorants, scented soaps and perfumes are all going to pique the attention of your not-so-friendly neighborhood grizzly or black bear. Pack your toiletries in doubled plastic bags or airtight containers. Be sure to bring extra containers for leftover food or garbage so it's not sitting around (more on that later).

This also turned up on google:

c0bfbf930abc9a78e04eba8886c2c45a.jpg

We must all be a little different. Both how we perspire/smell and what we can tolerate.

I don't bring deodorant, don't bring wet wipes, don't change clothes, and rarely bathe and when I do don't use soap, even on trips that last 30 or more days. I don't feel like I'm all that dirty and I don't feel like I stink.

I'm surprised at the number of people who say they don't use deodorant but rather wash regularly to take care of odor. For me that is no help in the smell department. If I don't use deodorant I'm going to have stinky pits. Doesn't matter if I just hopped of the shower 30 minutes ago. They're gonna stink when I exert myself a little.

But while my pits might be stinky the rest of me, and my clothing, seems to stay pretty odor free. Even at home I wear the same clothes for multiple days. I've probably been wearing my current outfit for close to a week and I spend most of my day greeting customers.

I'm not a heavy sweater and no doubt that makes a big difference. I also tend to canoe trip/camp in cooler weather. If I was camping in 80+ degree weather with humidity than you can bet I'd be doing a lot more swimming and would, at the minimum, give myself a water wipe down before bed each night to keep from being sticky. But with temps generally maxing out at 75 (and more commonly in the 60's or less) then profuse sweating and stinkiness just isn't much of a problem, at least for me.

Alan

I'm not a heavy sweater and no doubt that makes a big difference. I also tend to canoe trip/camp in cooler weather. If I was camping in 80+ degree weather with humidity than you can bet I'd be doing a lot more swimming and would, at the minimum, give myself a water wipe down before bed each night to keep from being sticky. But with temps generally maxing out at 75 (and more commonly in the 60's or less) then profuse sweating and stinkiness just isn't much of a problem

Odoriferous-ness aside I think personal perspiration plays a big part in at least “feeling” unsticky. I sweat profusely in hot humid weather (think mid-Atlantic summer heat and humidity). To the point that I can literally wring sweat out of a headband bandana, and know to force myself to gulp water on hot weather trips.

I have a very sweaty head (it’s all that brain power at work!), hence the caution with DEET running down into my eyes from my scalp or forehead, but I’m not giving up May through September locally. When it is 90f and 90% humidity I’ll be taking a swim after any strenuous effort, and having a campsite site with good swimming opportunity becomes increasingly important.

That becomes even more oddly important on summer swamp and marsh trips day trips. Yes Virginia, there are occasional sandy beaches, even in swamps or marshes. Sometimes few and far between, tucked back deep and unseen from the river in some hidden cypress cove or up some Spartina slough.

Gawd bless satellite mapping, those little hidden-from-river-view beaches often show up bright on a satellite image (Thanks for the maps JSaults)

While I’m swimming I hang my sweat sodden clothes to dry, and exit to sit naked in a chair afterwards while I air out (OK, no one wants to see that action. My eyes, my eyes!). And eventually put on at least dry, unsweaty if not “clean”, spare skivvies and shirt afterwards.

Never contemplated a Glenn-style loincloth, which could be worth consideration. Or maybe a free-swinging kilt in the McCrea tartan.

That refreshing swim - just swim, no soap – is a wonderful thing. Except when on salt water (no crusty salt residue thanks), or when plunging into still frigid hot day spring snowmelt or dam-bottom releases.

There are two kind of cold water gentlemen swimmers, those that creep in slowly, just up to their nutsack before gathering courage, and those that get it all over with in a what-the-heck bullrush.

My courage has failed a couple times while wading slowly in, when it was so icy freaking cold wading in that my ankles hurt.

Take the plunge.

Last edited:
those that creep in slowly, just up to their nutsack before gathering courage,

Yes, that's me. Actually it's my stomach that seems to take it the hardest. I often find myself waist deep and then decide I don't really need a bath after all. So I just rinse out my clothes in the water and use them to give myself a little sponge bath.

Alan

Water is "The universal solvent" as I learned in school. I use a wet bandana or wade in the water with one. No soap pollution, scents, or extra stuff to pack.

Never contemplated a Glenn-style loincloth, which could be worth consideration. Or maybe a free-swinging kilt in the McCrea tartan.

I've seriously considered donning a kilt while tripping. Not having Scottish ancestry gives me pause - the closest I get is my maternal, Yorkshireman grandfather.

There are two kind of cold water gentlemen swimmers, those that creep in slowly, just up to their nutsack before gathering courage, and those that get it all over with in a what-the-heck bullrush.

My courage has failed a couple times while wading slowly in, when it was so icy freaking cold wading in that my ankles hurt.

Take the plunge.

I wade out until it's deep enough and then dunk in one swift move (followed quickly by muted profanities and a vocalization that is a sort of cross between a loon and an injured wolf).

After giving it some thought I think I will become a convert he use of unscented deodorant. On an extended trip I can see the benefit of it in keeping your clothes less smelly. Previously I would cut off the most offensively smelly part of my shirt.

Attachments

• photo5291.jpg
    photo5291.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 0
Back