• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

detachable/adjustable yoke

Reaction score
I have a lightweight solo canoe and a heavier tandem. A detachable yoke works well for the lighter solo, but doesn't want to attach as securely for the tandem. I was curious if there were more universally designed options for all canoes.
The one I use tightens on the gunwhales at midship in a clamp style.

This is what I've used in the past, although I'm sure the clamp style works for some I am skeptical it would work for me.

Yoke.jpg

Yoke_Bolt.jpg

You have to be willing to drill your gunnels of course. I place it on top of the gunnels so the hole doesn't need to be right near the end, multiple holes can then be drilled to suit boats of different widths.

Interesting idea! Yes, I have had it slip on my dagger reflection. Fortunately, my solo is light enough that I can use the seat and thwart towards the bow in order to heft it onto my shoulders. When I use the tandem, I'm forced to hold onto the yoke as I swing my hips, and it has slipped a time or two. At least that boat is royalex and it's done on grass or in water.

Chansta

Try gluing (contact cement) a piece of bicycle inner tube to the yoke, where it contacts the gunnels.

When you tighten the clamp, it should stay in place.

Good luck !

Jim

I had a few iterations of yoke designs for my boats, I always find that clamp style yokes invariably loosen and slip/slide at the most inconvenient times. I cover how I build yokes now in my last build post here: http://www.canoetripping.net/forums/forum/paddlecraft-construction/73582-freedom-solo-16/page5

If you have wooden gunnels, this approach works fine and works very well and avoids all the extra weight that clamps usually have ... the only change I made to the design, was to add a second helicoil to the body of the yoke, the knob/bolt assembly is screwed into the main body when not in use, to avoid losing it in transit.

Brian

Adjustable Yokes are very versatile, the balance point can be changed with slight adjustments to suit the carrying conditions. I keep mine very simple and have worked well for many years but will stipulate none of my boats are over 50#. 1/16" silicone pads on the yoke and clamp seem to hold them in place very well. With a Harmony Pad on a basic yoke shape the whole yoke weighs less than a pound and a half and is easily shaped to suit your anatomy. No matter how I try the photos end up rotated 90 degrees off.

Attachments

• photo13703.jpg
    photo13703.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo13704.jpg
    photo13704.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo13705.jpg
    photo13705.jpg
    571.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo13706.jpg
    photo13706.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 0
My solo yoke has the detachable clamps and yes on RX they slide.. A bolt hole through the gunwale won't hurt the boat. But I had good enough results from spray on rubber. The bolt hole is a good idea to keep in mind

Chansta

Try gluing (contact cement) a piece of bicycle inner tube to the yoke, where it contacts the gunnels.

When you tighten the clamp, it should stay in place.

Good luck !

Jim

I did that with my yoke and it made a big difference. It's worth a shot and cheap plus any left over inner tube will find new places for use!

I did that with my yoke and it made a big difference. It's worth a shot and cheap plus any left over inner tube will find new places for use!

I guess a bicycle shop would be the place for this.. and contact cement at a hardware store. About how big of a piece would you suggest I glue onto the gunwhale?

I’m going to go out on a limb here...what if you cut a small section of inner tube and stretch it around the ends of the yoke? Leaving the “tube” intact...
maybe no glue necessary?
i think I will try this for my own purposes.

I guess a bicycle shop would be the place for this.. and contact cement at a hardware store. About how big of a piece would you suggest I glue onto the gunwhale?

I got an inner tube at the dollar store or Walmart for cheap money. On mine I cut it the dept of my gunwale, about 3/4" but left a little extra for the heck of it. That way I can use it on any boat I have as needed as I build all my gunwales to that dimension. I'll try to take a pic tomorrow.

I'd glue the rubber to the yoke !

It will last longer on the yoke than the gunnel.

Jim

Back