No announcement yet.

Does this drive anyone else nuts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A pirate walks into a bar wearing a ships helm as a belt buckle. The bartender asks,"hey what's up with the ships wheel? Pirate responds, "Ahrrrr, it drives me nuts"

Comment

I know what you mean. I'm NOT an expert paddler, but I know the difference between a double bladed paddle and an otter tail, and I darn sure know the difference between a canoe and a kayak.

I ran into this years ago with some of my other interests. I was once a long distance runner and ran about 45-50 miles per week. Runs were often 10 plus miles and I ran many half marathons. When I told people about it, one person said they ran a "5k marathon." I could feel my blood boil. 5k is 3.1 miles and a marathon is 26.2. Others commented how they could probably "run one right now" and I knew these folks weren't runners. Insulting to say the least.

Same goes for camping. "Oh, we love our camper. Camping is the best." Pardon me, but that's not real camping IMHO. I hike in or paddle in to wild sites, set up a tent or a tarp and I'm nowhere near people or campgrounds.
      "Aren't you afraid of bears?" No, be smart with food and you're way less likely to be harmed by an animal than by a human or a car accident or natural causes.

Everyone's an expert with no experience!

Comment

I had a similar experience this Thanksgiving at my wife's nephew's house. The conversation drifted to canoeing and he and his buddy are telling me about their Annual Canoe Trip on the Connecticut River. As more details came in they are shuttled upstream for a 2 1/2 hour paddle and then camp at the outfitter's campground.
        On the plus side of the whole trip, the outfitter is in Windsor VT and situated between a Vodka Distillery and Harpoon Brewery. So you have to give them points for that, but they really didn't want to work hard enough to do any Carries with their canoeing.

I bought my Ex a 32' 5th Wheel in an attempt to get her into the woods. I sat at the fire, she inside watching the TV. When we split my son got the trailer and I bought a really nice tent.

Comment

What a bunch of grumps.

Comment

I had not seen this movie. But maybe I should. That was funny.

Comment

Originally posted by PaddlingPitt View Post
              I had not seen this movie. But maybe I should. That was funny.
              Oh, it's a classic!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike McCrea View Post

Hell Chip, I am still confused, and I habitually use a long double blade in an open canoe, and occasionally a short single in a kayak-like decked canoe with rudder.

I hope that the grief about paddle selection, or canoe vs kayak, is nothing but friendly fellow-paddler ribbing. Seriously, who really gives a rat’s ass if it has two blades or one, or is bent, double bent or stand-up elongated?

Or no blades; I find myself thinking of joining the square stern motor mafia someday.

Whatever floats (propels) your boat.

All I know for sure is that paddles are not oars, nor poles, nor yulohs.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve in Idaho View Post

All I know for sure is that paddles are not oars, nor poles, nor yulohs.
                  At the risk of displaying my ignorance, what the heck is a yuloh?
                  ...better to be up the creek without a paddle than not be on the water at all!!!

Comment

Think Venice Gondolas

Comment

Originally posted by sweeper View Post
                      Think Venice Gondolas
                      Thanks Sweeper.
                      ...better to be up the creek without a paddle than not be on the water at all!!!

Comment

I had to google it

Comment

Originally posted by sweeper View Post
                          I had to google it
                          Why didn't I think of that? Probably 'cuz it would have required more effort than asking

Comment

When people bring upor "kayaking" or "canoeing", I ask them where they've paddled. If they've done a decent trip/sound like experienced paddlers, I'll engage. Otherwise, I just nod my head and say "Nice!" and let them go on without contributing. If they ask about my experiences, I'll try to answer respectfully at a level they can understand or appreciate, without being condescending.

Comment

Yup... all kinds of posers out there needing to steal the show... and they often get away with it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bad-advice-pzy-bad-advice-problems-booth-demotivational-posters-1314935121.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	102767

Comment

Working...
                              X