• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Lake Superior Water Trail

On my way out to Quetico I stopped at Old Woman Bay on Lake Superior and launched my canoe. I just hugged the shoreline for a ways around the bay and returned to my put in. The thought of that big lake out there was too intimidating to me and my little 14' Chum.

I have enjoyed this post a lot, some great links. Thanks

I’ve paddled Lake Superior 4 times now. The last trip being a north shore solo kayak trip from Sleeping Giant P.P. to Wawa, Ontario. I had planned for 30 days, but ended up doing it in 22, as the bugs were so bad that it just made sense to press on rather than hang out on a beach getting eaten alive. The days are very long around the summer solstice up on Superior. I began on June 24, 2015.....2 weeks after the last chunks of ice melted on the lake. LOTS of fog. I mean LOTS!

I love Lake Superior. I think I’ve convinced my wife to join me this year on a return trip. She’s a bit apprehensive given the lake’s reputation. However, the key to a successful Superior trip is lots of time, and even more respect and awareness. More than once I’ve been in a critical situation on Superior, and I think I’ve become very attuned to what I would consider to be “ my limit”. I always carry a weather radio, and I have learned to scrutinize the topography ahead when making a call. If there’s nowhere to land for the next 6km and the conditions are deterioration fast, don’t push it.

Be be prepared to paddle long distances in dense fog. Learn to use a compass properly if you don’t know already, and consider bringing a GPS along. I was able to successfully navigate some very long crossings in pea soup fog with careful compass work, attention and observation, using GPS as a back-up.

Superior is majestic Canadian Shield country on the grandest scale. The geology is amazing. The history and spirit deeply affecting. One feels very small and vulnerable on The Big Lake, and that, I know, is good for the soul.

Have a great trip.

I agree that a little boat and a big lake is a bad mix. Old Woman Bay is magnificent and puts your size in perspective but it along with other area offer little landing opportunities for about five miles.
I agree conservatism rules.. But she does have some signals if you watch for them.. a change in wind direction , change in clouds, build to whitecaps.. The window for escape is small about 15 minutes so knowing the topography of where you will be in the near future is a must.
What I have learned in ocean kayaking here in Maine is very useful for the big lake but the lobster pots we use for compass headings are not on Superior.. There is some drift from current so in fog plan accordingly. GPS can be very useful in such a situation( I check mine each am for battery level.. changing on the water is not what I like to do)

Superior teaches you patience and exercises your humility while giving great scenic rewards. Never box yourself into a schedule that is tight. The old saying that one out of three days is going to be a no travel day is a good guideline.. You may be early which is why I like my vehicle to be at the end of the trip rather than someone meeting me.

My soul says too "return"

Canoeguitar: I checked out your website. Gorgeous photos. I recognized at least one of the lakes and it's my favorite in Quetico thus far.

Superior could be the ultimate Yin-Yang experience in canoe tripping. Heavy on the "Yin" would be nice...or is it the other way around???

Thanks everyone for your insights.

PEACE
Micah

Back