• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

I joined the Square Stern Mafia

Reaction score
Today I bought a "like new" square stern wood canvas canoe/trailer/2.5 yamaha 4 cycle from my friend Schuyler Thomson as he closes out his long career of building/restoring wood canvas canoes and restoring boats in general.

This boat was built by Schuyler as a wedding present for a friend, but his friend has been climbing the corporate ladder and storage space soon became an issue. The canoe was returned and I happened to be in the right place at the right time.

During the negotiations a new 14' Chestnut fox knockoff hull was thrown into the mix and today I pulled the trigger and bought both.

My days of long (or even short) portages are over due to some recent health issues, but holding onto a tiller and cruisin' a big Canadian lake is still something I plan on doing. Lots of room for my wall tent, wood stove and canvas packs.

I'm thinking a new square stern "secret handshake" is in order, similar too but not the same as the "cold handle frying pan" shake or the "15' Chestnut Chum" shake.

16' ss.JPG14' Fox 2.JPG

Attachments

• 16' ss.JPG
    16' ss.JPG
    464.5 KB · Views: 3
What to say Robin? Very Sweet! I know my portaging days are numbered. The day may come where I join the Mafia! Do you by any chance live near open big water to give it a test drive?

The second picture of that hull is beautiful. What are you doing with that?

Lucky b*st*rd!!! I'm happy for you Robin!! I hope it gives you plenty of trips!!

Do you by any chance live near open big water to give it a test drive?

The second picture of that hull is beautiful. What are you doing with that?

Thanks Doug, There are a few reservoirs nearby, all part of the Farmington River system and the Connecticut and Housatonic Rivers are all good places to putt around. That wood canvas canoe hull is 14' Chestnut Fox knockoff, it will make a nice nimble solo daytripping canoe for me, I'll put a lightweight canvas (#12) like Murat V did to his. I have 3 canvas canoes to canvas this winter now, all Chestnuts, life is good and getting gooder by the day.

Thanks Canotrouge, I appreciate that.

In my childhood we plyed the waters of the bwca with a square stern and a 3 hp Evinrude, then they banned motors and that was that.

Congrats Robin. I once had a big old Herter's 18' square back that made a great platform for fishing and was stable enough to use as a blind for duck hunting. Enjoy!

Both boats are drop dead gorgeous and look very special. Your friend does nice work. Congrats!

I can send you the pirate flag for your launch if you want! That is a seriously beautiful SS, I takes me back to a forgotten time, when that type of boat was king of the North. I hope you can get up here so we can ply the big waters "under power"! Imagine the fishing!

Congratulations Robin.

Beautiful rig, and being "like new", it should serve you well for making lots of new memories. While I love paddling a traditional canoe, my 16' square stern canoe, from 1982, has slowly over the years, become my favorite choice to take. It felt like cheating back when I first got mine, to run either electric or gas, but now just the opposite. Seems practical now.
That is a fine looking rig, and your association with it's builder makes it even more special.
And I'll bet it won't take you long to appreciate loading onto a trailer.

Congrats again, and welcome to the SS world.

Now only Brad needs a y or square stern, then we can work out how to get them all into Marshall lake, or Faubert.

Lovely boat/canoe Robin. Awesome.

Those are some great acquisitions Robin. Look forward to seeing a trip report and pics of the motor too. Sounds like you’re going to have a great winter in the shop!

Cheers,
barry

Nice boat Robin, lots of good luck with it. I'm not taking credit for it, but I did recommend a big boat with a trailer as a good option for us older guys. I'm thinking a 20 foot double ender with a motor mount and trailer would work for me.

It will be easy to trip with the hot tent now, and with all the comforts of home away from home. Can't wait for the first TR!

I am curious: are motors allowed on Little Tupper? I think not and now in my old age I think what a shame!
But what a boat for Chesuncook or West Branch above it ! Or Chamberlain!
There was a Chestnut square stern with trailer for sale here in town last year and now I am smacking my head for being a doofus

Little Tupper in the ADK’s? No motors allowed unless you happen to own property lakeside!!
Is your last name Whitney or Vanderbilt?
DEC rangers on official business can use motors too

I had a traditional square end in aluminum, but could never love it. I found I did better with a side mount 2 hp on a double end canoe. I really sold out to the dark side and acquired an original Grumman Sport Boat a few years ago. It is "only" 120 lbs and handles a motor much better than the real canoe. It has enough of a flat hull that it planes nicely with two people with an 8 hp engine. I would not want to paddle it 5 or 10 miles, but it is ok for short stretches with a paddle, and works great with oars.

Wow, an 8 horse on a grumman sport! That's gotta be some excitin' stuff right there! Don't take your hand off the tiller!

Back when the BWCA had motor routes we used side mounted 2 and 3 hp Johnson's on our double ender 17 foot Grumman's to run out to the end of a motor route, stash the motor and the motor mount then paddle to our secret fishing spots. All the motor mounts I saw back then were made by welders on night shifts in the iron mines. First pack was always placed on the opposite side of the canoe prior to fastening the motor on the mount. Putting the motor on first made the canoe go belly up. Also back in those days the Forest Service gave locals a annual permit to use the BWCA, At the end of the year you returned the permit with the dates and routes of all your trips. Those of us that were college students that worked summer jobs in the Iron mines worked shift work, so we had odd work weeks having our days off during the week. We would get off day sift during a week day, drive to a put in, be into our preferred lake at sundown or somewhat later. We would fish and camp for a couple of days then be back at work for a week of evening shifts. Once a month we got what was called a long week-end. We got off mid-night shift in the Thursday mornings and would not have to be back for five days. That is when took our longer trips into the Quetico Park, in those days you could take a motor anywhere in the park.
I also have a Grumman Sport Boat and used them a lot in my job with a 9.9 hp motors, I even saw one going upstream on the Yukon with a 15 hp. These days I only use my Sport Boat for fishing and have found that a four stoke 2 hp Honda is all I need. It rows nicely, if a stealthy approach is needed to sneak up on a trout, my six foot guide paddle works great.
I got my Sport Boat at a State excess used equipment sale. Seems the Game Wardens used them to run up shallow rivers. They took the back seat out, cut a hole in the floor and stern and bolted in a jet ski motor and pump. The craft was controlled by a throttle, stick and rudder from the front seat. I never saw one in action but, they went like heck when they were running but, they were a nightmare to maintain. I had to remove all the add on's, patch the hole in bottom and stern, build a back seat but, it works like a charm and has for the last 30 years or so.

Back