• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Bunny hunting, snow shoeing and bang sticks

Reaction score
Thought I would do a little bunny hunting today. That was my excuse anyway. Since my wife has become interested in canoe tripping with me, she has made it clear that she is not going on any remote trips unless I bring a gun. Like most people around here, she’s had some experiences with bears.

Now I like guns, and am a bit of a camel trader when it comes to them. This decree from my wife has opened up a whole new avenue of gun buying. I call it The Search For the Perfect Canoe Gun. I have been able to buy four or five new guns in the last year under the guise of finding one that will be just right.

Today I took two of the new ones with me, a Turkish made .410 and a Maverick 88, which is the real cheap Mossberg 500. The Turk only cost me a little more than a 100 bucks, but it shows it. It is a single shot folder, I’m not sure why I bought it, although folded up, it will fit in a 60 liter canoe barrel pretty easily. I was thinking I would use it on the off chance I saw a Bunny while snowshoeing today.

The other gun I brought was my Maverick 88 12 gauge. The local hardware store had a Browning BPS 12 there for quite a while, and he had a good price on it. But my arms are short, and the length of pull just didn’t feel right. I grabbed the Maverick just for fun, and it fit like a glove. I was out the door with two chokes and two boxes of shells for a little over 200 bucks. I killed a lot of partridge with it this fall. Anyway, I finally managed to find a short barrel for it last week, an 18.5 incher. I took it out with a box of slugs today.

I knew it wasn’t going to be super accurate with that short barrel, but I was pleasantly surprised. I took five shots from 25 yards. I put two shots into the paper right away, and they both went through the same hole, but high. Second attempt I put three shots mostly through the same hole, but slightly high and right of center.

I’m going to bulk order a couple of hundred rounds of slugs and get the feel for it. I’m fairly sure I can get pretty accurate at that distance, which is basically “cap-bustin in a bear’s arse” distance. The nice thing about this gun is that if it sinks to the bottom of a lake somewhere, I haven’t busted the bank to get it.

The other thing I tried out today was my new snowshoes that my wife bought me for Christmas. These are probably the biggest non-traditional shoes one can find, made by GV, a quality Canadian company. The picture shows the usual GV’s I have used for the last several years, at 36 inches long and 9 inches wide. The new ones look huge beside them. I must admit, they provide just as much floatation as my traditional Alaskan five footers.

Well, after all that shooting, I put the little .410 on my back and headed out. It was virgin snow.

I had opened up a little trail close to home last year for bunny hunting, but so many people started using it, I decided it was best to leave the gun home. This area should be safe from people. We had some new snow last night, so there were no tracks apparent, and nothing was moving in the bush. I only slogged it for a couple of kilometers before heading home. The loop is about 5 k, I hope to finish breaking it this week.

So no bunnies, but it was a nice way to spend an afternoon. ( I had a knife with me too, a buck folder, and one of those sparker thingies, but they saw no action either).

Last edited:
I have been lusting after a Maverick 20 ga with a rifled barrel. I have used smooth bores, including a .410, with slugs but they are not very reliable at anything more than really short range. We used them on deer. I loaned my brother a .58 rifle instead and he found that much more effective, accuracy wise. Of course that comes with its own set of issues, black powder and such.

Right now my showshoes are staying warm and dry, just like me. I could buy an entire sporting goods store for what it is costing me to renovate my garage and dining room, so the shotgun will remain an unfulfilled dream for a while yet. I should have held onto one of my winchesters, but I sold them to finance a lawn tractor instead.

Christy

Wow, a great reason to buy more guns,never thought of that. Seriously,I used to carry a .44 canoe tripping ,but now carry bear spray. The weight, worry about loosing it, and what to do with it at rest stops ect.,caused me to stop taking it. In N.Y. we must be very carefull not to break any gun rules.
Turtle

It's odd, Canadian gun laws are fairly restrictive, but they do allow for carrying non-restricted (rifles, shotguns) for wilderness protection. In the southern part of the province, where population is quite dense, I'm sure the Conservation Officers would take a dim view, but up here, no one bats an eye.

Christy, I bought a rifled barrel 12 guage last year, and at 25 yards and less, I don't think it will make a huge difference, other than the fact that the rifled barrel actually has sites. Once I get handy with the maverick, I'm pretty confident it will shoot where I want it.

I just made a trade with my neighbor. I gave up an old Browning A-5 that I got from my great uncle. It is Belgian made, but full choke and does not like steel shot. He gave me a Marlin Guide gun in .45-70. It is stainless steel with the laminated stock and nylon strap and 4 boxes of ammo. It would be a good canoe gun for the North. Usually I carry a Ruger CLR in .357 or a Smith 629 in .44 mag.

Ppine, I'd say that was a good trade for both people! I love those old A-5's, and those guide guns are ideal for canoe tripping. Geeze, you got me lusting now, I was looking at the Marlins, then came across a BLR in .450. Now that would be a solid canoe gun. Time to sell a few off.

This is a good site for used guns .http://usedfirearms.ca/ad-tag/winnipeg/page/2/. Go to the rifles site and browse...they have some 742 Remingtons in .308 that would do for most any needs. Lots of black guns that dont do much for me, but there are some gems mixed in with them.

You couild always just saw 4 " off the end of that rifled slug barrel and have a nice short 12 ga rifle.

I have a BLR in .308 right now, it would be fine for "bars", plus its really easy to shoot. That single shot rifled 12 guage only weighs 6 pounds. To say that it kicks with the 3 " slugs in it is a bit of an understatement. I put one of those limbsavers on it though, made a world of difference. Anyone want to buy it, real cheap, or trade for something cool? I don't really need a gun that would stop a tank, the Maverick is fine, but that BLR .450 is really bugging me right now.

Mem, Didn't you have a Mosin-Nigant, one of those short carbines? As far as a gun to take abuse while canoeing and still work just fine, that or a Lee-Enfield would be my pick.
I may be wrong, but I think the factory ammunition for the older military rifles is loaded down, just because the condition of a given gun can vary so much. On my Lee Enfield I made sure the headspace was right and then loaded up rounds (by stages of course) to the max given in the reloading books.

It's funny, I got the Lee for canoeing but then found it shoots so well and I really like the peep sight (no. 4) to where I'm too fond of it to subject it to that kind of use.
So I got that Rem. 870, which is a good gun but no special favorite.

In that Russian film about the trappers, "Happy People", many of those guy's used the old Mosin Nigant. That's pretty much it for what's available to them.

Fun thinking about guns...

Rob

Yes OM, I have two Mosin's, but they are the 91's, not the carbines, they're about five feet long and weigh around ten pounds each. I love those guns, especially my 1932 hex, it's all set to shoot a moose next year, or at least live on the bottom of my canoe pretending to be a moose gun. I also have two SKS. I loved that Happy People documentary, what a great way to live, and they certainly looked happy. For a while I was contemplating making the SKS my bear gun, it is an indestructible semi, but the cartridge size is just too small.

I also had a couple of Lee-Enfields. When we grew up, that was the most popular gun in Canada. I remember when i was just a kid going to this place in Winnipeg with my dad, and he put one together from a series of different bins, think the total cost was 20 bucks or something. Still lots of them in Canada, and can be had pretty cheap. I've been thinking about the reloading thing, but my plinking habits have been kept happy with the Mosin's and SKS, we can still get over a 1000 rounds of ammo for around 200 bucks for each gun.

Norton, I have never owned a 16 gauge, although I have had several chances to get one, in fact, I believe the exact model you have in the picture. It's a sweet looking gun.

Well, after hours of internet research, I think I have found my next gun. http://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t3/t3-battue The reviews claim the open sites on the tikka are designed for fast target acquisition, and several people attest to that. It's a short bush gun, very good at close distances, so they say. I'm going to go with 30-06 calibre, just because it is so easy to find, the local hardware store is packed with it. I was thinking about that BLR .450, and I would have to special order that ammo in at about 60 bucks a box. Anyway, I'm going to go through my guns and see what I can sell off, then save up and see what happens.

You'll love that Tikka. I have a T3 Lite in yup, you guessed it - .30-06. Gun is very accurate. The only bad thing is the magazines are very expensive - don't lose it.

Does that folding .410 have a composite stock? I don't recall seeing one in the states.

Mem, I got to hand it to you, you are one slick operator. Protecting your wife from bears. We got no bears here. Maybe I can protect my wife from wild rabid deer.

Serious question, are 12 gauge slugs the go to ammo for a defensive situation when bears are involved. We use them on deer, I have no idea how effective they are on larger animals. I guess I'm wondering about penetration. Also, would you be aiming for the chest cavity not the head? 00 buck any good on a bear? Dave

12 gauge slugs seem to be the preferred method for dealing with problem bears up here, usually in the boiler maker. There's a lot of debate about where to shoot a charging bear, if I could hit it anywhere without filling my shorts I'd be happy. Hopefully in the nogin to stop the charge dead. I'm not sure how buckshot would fly out of that short barrel, might end up going everywhere. I've never shot a bear, although I buy a tag every year. I don't want to eat a bear, so the only way I would shoot him is if I have to. When I go on a solo canoe trip, I usually don't take any guns, and I don't worry about bears, but it sure is nice to have a good excuse to keep buying guns!

No Title

Mem, I thought being you were on the subject of boom sticks I would show you Boomer my TNW model ASR. He is marketed as an Aero Survival Rifle. I bought him because he looked shooty to me. He is chambered in 45 ACP and takes Glock 21 13 round mags. The gun is also available in 9mm and 40 S&W. I made the barrel shroud my self which doubles as a barrel nut. I also applied a cerakote finish to him. He takes down small enough to fit in a day pack. Because I am not planning on any long range shooting with Boomer I chose a Vortex Sparc red dot scope for quick target acquisition. He is a handy little fellow to have around for pest control.

Attachments

• photo1523.jpg
    photo1523.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1524.jpg
    photo1524.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 0
Wowee, what kinda pests are you shootin? I remember reading a thread about that gun coming into Canada a while ago, and it was classified as restricted, cause it looks too machine-gunny. That's how the RCMP classify guns in Canada. I could still buy it, but I would only be able to shoot it at a range where I had a membership, and i would have to have a piece of paper saying I could carry it from my house to the range only. If I took it on a Canoe trip for the purpose it was designed for, I would go to jail.

So Boomer is a handsome, practical sort of guy, but he's too dangerous looking for Canada. So I'm looking at a Remington 7600 in 30-06 now. Gotta get to the big city so I can handle some of these things and see if I like them, no more internet "no-looky-impulse-buying". Thanks for sharing. I think I gotta move to the States, I hear beer is cheap too. Any .22 ammo yet, cause there's very little getting across the border.

Wowee, what kinda pests are you shootin?

So Boomer is a handsome, practical sort of guy, but he's too dangerous looking for Canada.

Any .22 ammo yet, cause there's very little getting across the border.

Pesky pests.

Boomer thanks you and says he will stay in the states.

No abundance of .22 ammo yet where I am. But gas was $1.84 a gallon last fill up.

It is easy to make a case for the use of a shotgun for protection. It is versatile and slugs and 00 buckshot are good choices. They can also fire flash bangs, rubber bullets and bean bag loads. For people with limited gun experience it is the obvious choice.

Years ago I worked in SE Alaska and saw bears every day. We were in a rain forest with 150 inches of precip and a lot of the sightings were up close and personal. The bears were on the salmon streams and sometimes were there too doing hydrology, stream gauging and water quality sampling. On the first trip I took a Ruger .44 mag pistol. After the first brown bear sighting, I only carried rifles after that. Mostly a .444 Marlin, but sometimes a bolt action rifle in the .30-06 class. It was common to see young kids walking out of Ketchikan to go fishing with a large caliber rifle.

No Title

It is easy to make a case for the use of a shotgun for protection. It is versatile and slugs and 00 buckshot are good choices. They can also fire flash bangs, rubber bullets and bean bag loads. For people with limited gun experience it is the obvious choice.

I agree, this is Mr. Whoop arse. He is a 12 gauge with a 20 round drum mag. I'm guessing Mem is going to tell me to leave him in the states as well.

Attachments

• photo1527.jpg
    photo1527.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1528.jpg
    photo1528.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 0
Back