• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Furniture build- Need help

Reaction score
Attention all you shipwrights... This is the seat out of my boat. I want to build a light weight base so that I don't need to bring a camp chair. Here is my idea. I'm not sure how to attach the seat? I could cut "c" shaped notches and just the put the seat on top but I'm not sure that is enough. Also thinking 1.25" x 3/4" hardwood? Ideas? I'd like it to fold flat and store under the seat. All ideas welcome.

wwwww.JPG1.jpg2.jpg

Attachments

• wwwww.JPG
    wwwww.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 0
Great idea Sir!
I'm not coming up with an easier way without seeing your inventory of odds and ends.
You could put the "stay strap" on the top side .
Using 2 straps you could make a sling for the chair to sit down on. At the right size the top of your pedestal legs will cradle the sides of the seat supported by the sling underneath

Attachments

• photo12445.jpg
    photo12445.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 0
I’m thinking something that would serve double duty. Maybe build a sturdy wannigan with a couple (four) flange brackets like those in your Next.

^^^^ I like. I was thinking the seat would sit on the bracket 90 degrees to your drawing...

I’m thinking something that would serve double duty. Maybe build a sturdy wannigan with a couple (four) flange brackets like those in your Next.

Yes, good point . Keep in mind this is going into a small canoe so a wannigan is too large.

Just a thought which might be totally useless... rectangular-shaped frames might be wobbly unless heavily built (heavy being not a good during long carries). Triangular frames OTOH should in theory be more rigid since that's what triangles are used for in engineering, to increase structural rigidity.

Maybe some kind of triangular top that the seat fits onto coupled with tripod legs. Two legs in back, one in front. Should sit on uneven ground better since there are only three legs, and lighter too.

Could be three pieces of plywood or three boards, bolted or pinned together at the campsite. Drill holes with a hole saw for lightness. Jigsaw out the top and bottom surfaces to create three points for ground and seat contact.

Glassing the structure would probably add strength while keeping things light... anyway, half-baked idea of the day.

If you use a director's chair type frame as shown in your sketches and include some c shaped notches to set your seat in then it seems like you could easily secure it with some Velcro straps...or hose clamps if you don't mind spending a few minutes on hose clamps. Even the small Velcro strap attaching my day pack to the thwart in the pic is a tenacious little guy...4 of them would add a lot of security.

image.jpeg

What about a milk crate? Might not have the je ne sais quoi of a proper wannigan but it would certainly be strong enough, and it doesn't have any moving parts. You could attach the front end of the seat to it with a few velcro straps and that would probably be enough.

Interesting. I’d have find a place in the boat for the crate

Al, still thinking about this.

Perhaps you could repurpose the frame from a folding camp chair. Just the frame, with the material from the seat, back and arms (if any) removed. That would give you a design-built folding frame, and without the material it should fold up pretty small.

We have had a lot of inexpensive camp chairs on which the seat material tore or sagged horribly long before the frame went kaput.

If you trip with a 30L food barrel you'll find them a perfect height for use as a stool. Add some plywood, a 6" Lazy Susan turntable, and a little McCrea wizardry-pokery carpentry and whizzbang you've got a piece of camp furniture.
Otherwise I'd sit the stadium seat on a wannigan or pack. There are often rocks and logs around camp clearings.

Last edited:
I'd be tempted to just buy a folding seat. in the long run it will be lighter, and quicker.

Maybe safer !

Jim

I'd be tempted to just buy a folding seat. in the long run it will be lighter, and quicker.

Maybe safer !

Jim

Yes Jim, I agree.
We went that route buying legless folding seats. Although having no tubing or other kind of strong structure it's still kinda hefty for just a pad. Those ultralight collapsible Helinox might be lighter IMO...and have legs.

Click image for larger version  Name:	senate seat.jpg Views:	0 Size:	37.9 KB ID:	98143

This slides nicely into packs and in a pinch you could fasten it to canoe seating. The back support is impressive, but there is some flex to it. I don't know what's inside, cardboard, plastic sheet? The fabric is durable and water resistant. These are well made. I sprayed them with water proofing. I like the adjustability with the strap slides. Sit up straight to eat your meal and then ease on back into recliner mode tipping as you go like you would at your favourite kitchen party. Sometimes though you really notice the missing legs. There aren't always convenient logs, rocks and roots on which to prop this chair up. On smooth rock shorelines there are often crevices in which to angle it into, providing a nice easy chair for a wonderful view. But I don't recommend this seat if the ground feels a long way down to you, as it does to me these days. So I get why the OP is looking for a price/material/weight budget conscience answer to his chair. I too am pondering this dilemma. In the meantime I just park my seat on barrels, packs, rocks, roots, logs...
If and when the day ever comes when I simply can't trip anymore with a legless chair I'll buy a Helinox type. I'm seriously considering hauling an old aluminum folder. They're very light but large and ungainly. We all have our faults.

Last edited:
Back