• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Some TLC for my favourite solo Shearwater

Reaction score
After about 25 years of abuse from hidden rocks or a mad dash to a rocky shore thanks to some thunder/lightening, my very well travelled Shearwater is in need of some serious TLC.
Keep gouges/scratches and 4 or 5 spider webs are starting to look dangerous. Any ideas on repair would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ted
Click image for larger version  Name:	spider-webbing-2A.jpg Views:	1 Size:	279.7 KB ID:	95721
Click image for larger version  Name:	scratches.jpg Views:	1 Size:	363.4 KB ID:	95722

Last edited:
Pictures of the damage? I am no repair expert but do know gel coat is not structural.. I have resorted to epoxy and paint on my kayak

I’ve done gelcoat repairs, but nothing close to what I see in your pictures. My first reaction is to ignore it and keep using the canoe as is. looks like Ike you’ve gotten lots of good use out of that boat. Sometimes they just wear out.

Mark

It warms my heart to see such a well used Shearwater. I love my Shearwater.

I think you may find everything you want on the Swift website. Under the care and maintenance section they invite you to call them to discuss damage. If your spider cracks or deep gouges expose fabric then you follow the gelcoat repair instructions and if not you just keep paddling. If any parts of the boat have become soft then you have structural damage which can be remedied with a patch on the inside and they also have instructions for that. They sell repair kits for both types of repairs.

https://www.swiftcanoe.com/downloads

cool page gumpus! I also was told to be aggressive in chiseling out loose gel coat.. Kind of like trying to cement a loose tooth ; doesn't work

Thanks everyone. I guess that I shouldn't worry that my Shearwater is starting to look a lot like me now I'm 71.
She's on the roof and heading out Friday. Can't wait for a 10 day French River trip this August, a few days in Algonquin Park this September and October.

After about 25 years of abuse from hidden rocks or a mad dash to a rocky shore thanks to some thunder/lightening, my very well travelled Shearwater is in need of some serious TLC.
Keep gouges/scratches and 4 or 5 spider webs are starting to look dangerous. Any ideas on repair would be greatly appreciated.

Ted, like a lot of boat repairs there is a “right” way, a “less right way” and a “no way” to do gel coat repairs. The large impact spider crack in the first photo would worry me.

Before anything else I would inspect the inside of the hull at that spider crack and see if any damage is visible; that could be broken fibers or sorta spider-cracky lines where the resin and cloth have parted ways. That would worry me more than the gel coat damage, and I’d lay a “can’t hurt” peel ply’ed patch across it on the inside before doing anything else. That will at least stiffen the damaged area, and maybe keep the gel coat cracks from flexing wider apart or further lifting off.

The “right” way to tackle the spider cracks would be to remove anything flakey or lifting and lay new gel coat in the voids. At least it is a white hull, so the color match won’t be too many shades off.

There is probably a (time consuming, labor intensive, why bother) “right” way to fill the still-tight spider crack areas, but not for me. But “4 or five dangerous looking spider cracks” would be enough for me to eventually do something.

As a “less right” way, if the gel is still firmly attached and not lifting or seemingly ready to flake, would be to sand the spider cracked area and the deep scratches & gouges, and paint/fill them with resin (maybe some G/flex in the mix).

Let it cure, lightly sand/wash and paint at least the patches, if not the entire hull, with a couple coats of white paint. Anything from hardware store oil based enamel to a one or $$$ two part epoxy paint; the latter choices get pricier, and only worthwhile if you are painting the entire hull.

A quart of whatever will paint a 16’ canoe at least 3 coats worth, and once you have rolled on and tipped out the first coat it is worth some gentle wet sanding/washing prep and gunwale re-taping to lay down a second or third coat.

If you don’t care how battle scarred it looks, skip the paint. For now.

The “no-way” fix is simply that. If the gel coat seems well adhered, and there is no visible/structural damage on the inside, just leave it be ‘til it gets bad enough.

Or ‘til you can’t stand it no more. The difference may be psychological, but a clean, smooth bottom seems to maintain cruising speed and glide with less effort. I doubt the effect is sufficiently measurably while paddling, but even if it’s all in my mind, I’ll take it.

With gel coat or epoxy and possibly a few coats of paint I’d avoid it as a winter project, unless you have a heated shop in Ottawa. If you do wait ‘til winter, when the canoe is more couple-weeks-in-the-shop available, an electric radiant oil heater, set midships under a heat-capturing gunwales-down canoe, will keep the hull gently warm even when the shop temps dip towards freezing.

The nice part about those repairs is that they are, by necessity, a couple hours an evening with a lot of wait to cure time. While you are twiddling your thumbs waiting for epoxy to cure you could sand and re-varnish any brightwork.

Or lay down Dynel skid plates while you have the epoxy and etc out. A little white pigment in the epoxy mix, peel ply compressed Dynel, white paint coat on white skid plates on white hull. . . . .just sayin’

And of course the prep work, done thoroughly and carefully, will take 90% of the work time, which is a fine way to putz around an hour or two a night.

Mike is right.. an almost winter plan.. While you will survive the temps in your subterranean garage as you are a winter camper the epoxy won't plus you do need ventilation.

And as you have the quintissential light peppermint color ( its not white) never mind trying to match. Is there any toothpaste that is still green to mix in with the gel coat? ( If that is possible). Your boat reminded me of Pepsodent.. Not sure that is still available.

And please during repairs, no earthquakes. I was at Ted's house when I watched a 5.3 make the walls of his house wave. Whoda thunk Ottawa=earthquake?

Paint is easy to match...

Mike is right.. an almost winter plan.. While you will survive the temps in your subterranean garage as you are a winter camper the epoxy won't plus you do need ventilation.

And as you have the quintissential light peppermint color ( its not white) never mind trying to match

Not just temps for the epoxy and possible paint cure. I end up wet sanding and washing the hull multiple times; one wash before I even get started on anything, wet sand and wash after epoxy, wet sand and wash between coats of paint. That can add up for washing the hull 4 or 5 times. Not inside the shop tasks, and not a winter job outdoors

Peppermint eh? I am very colorblind, which is why trying to match a gel coat color is futile. But even work done by experienced gel coat repairers rarely comes out an exact match.

Why wait until Winter to epoxy ? Do it while temps are agreeable !

If the hull doesn't have any soft spots, a gel coat repair, is OK, you won't gain any strength from it.

If you are concerned about hull integrity, a layer of 4 or 6 oz cloth, over the football are of the hull will be your answer. E-glass is fine ! S-glass if you want to give the hull about 25% more stiffness, and abrasion resistance. The S-glass will cost 3 times as much.

I've added cloth up to the 3" waterline, with great results on on an abused hull.

Fiberglass degrades in time, and this you can assess better than us, on your canoe. The extra cloth layer will add a few pounds done correctly.

How I would add a layer ?

Wash with water, then acetone. Lightly sand , wash again, with Acetone, to remove any wax. .

Mask off the hull where you don't want epoxy, lay out the cloth, generously trim to overlap the masking tape ( double layered )

Wet out the cloth, squeegee, let cure at least 6 hrs ( playing it safe) add fill coats to fill the weave, probably two coats.

Good Luck !

Jim

Wash with water, then acetone. Lightly sand , wash again, with Acetone, to remove any wax.

Too right Jim. I forgot the acetone treatments. There may be wax on/in the gel coat, even working on aged gel coat, and acetone works well to remove that and any other contaminates.

Acetone wipe downs are not something you want to do in a closed shop with heaters running. First you get a cheap buzz on, and then the shop explodes.

For prep-work hull washings I avoid car wash products, which may contain wax or other bright shiny additives. A bucket of water with some grease-cutting Dawn dish detergent seems to work, or on a really filthy hull DoudD’s magic mix of 50% Dawn and 50% white vinegar, nylon bristle brush scrubbed on, straight 50/50 undiluted. dang does that miracle mix take the crud off.

I wet sand cured epoxy for better paint adhesion (although the very faint weave grid left by peel ply helps), and I wet sand between each paint coat as well for similar reasons, and ‘cause my roll on-tip out technique improves (slightly) with each paint coat. And then no-soap thoroughly rinse the hull with some sponge action, to make sure all the micro-sanded slurry is gone.

Note: Should be obvious, but ehhhh. Washing the hull of course is easiest if placed gunwales down. I like the little bit of slope on the lawn, it helps drain water towards one end as I wash and rinse.

But, if you overturn a recently washed canoe dribbles of sanding gunk water, trapped at/under the outwale, will run down the side, and you need to wipe it down again once inside the shop. Or, ya know, walk it into the shop under the yoke as level as you can. And then wipe it down again anyway.

While I am blathering (I know, I know), if I am working on a boat and it sits unattended in the shop for several days I at least wipe it down to remove any dust or shop contaminates that have accumulated.

My shop features ample dust, spiders, windows and doors opening and closing, fans and lots of stored shop solvents, auto lubricants and etc. After a few days, even if I haven’t done much shop work in the interim, the hull has picked up dander I don’t want left there before I move on.

BlatherBlather, if I have a boat in progress in the shop I avoid using any spray lubricants or solvents; Teflon spray, silicone spray, WD-40, PB Blaster. Anything that can aerosolize when sprayed. Spray paint is an absolute no-no if I have other boat work in progress, that stuff goes everywhere.

heck, even without ongoing boatwork I try not to use any spray lubricants on or near my main workbench. Try, I’m often unsuccessful in resisting that convenience.

"or on a really filthy hull DoudD’s magic mix of 50% Dawn and 50% white vinegar, nylon bristle brush scrubbed on, straight 50/50 undiluted. dang does that miracle mix take the crud off."

never would have thought of that! I'll have to give that a go on a couple unrelated projects Mike. (And DoudD)Thanks!

Jason

That is a DIY mix Doug heard about to replicate some commercial mix. It is powerful stuff and has become my go-to for really filth encrusted stuff.

Back