• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Sewing by Hand Tip

Reaction score
My preference is to find a seamstress when I need some sewing done. However, every now and then I'm forced by circumstances to pick up a needle and thread and do it myself by hand.

Many years ago I came upon the Speedy Stitcher and that has served me well when sewing through tough webbing and other thick fabrics. As I learned how to use the device and tried to avoid stabbing myself with the needle, I improvised a method to allow me to apply all the pressure I need to get through the fabric and safely avoid stabbing myself.

I use an empty wine box as a platform upon which to do my sewing. Strong enough to support the downward pressure of the needle without collapsing the box and deep enough the needle stays safely suspended in air space of the box. A close view of the wine box shows all the needle holes from my use over time. I haven't stabbed myself since I started using the wine box.

IMG_3179 (2).JPG

I repaired my wife's 30 year old leather school bag many times with a Speedy Stitcher. I don't think there is an original seam left on the bag. Recently, a colleague of hers looked at the bag and said that there is a shop in town that could repair it professionally. Ouch, that hurt.

My sewing stitches look ugly - wavy lines, irregular lengths. But I'm not parading down the runway with my work, so looking shabby is just fine as long as it stays together.

One of the Best reasons I can think of, to go out and buy a Box of Wine !
You have to empty it first Right ! :rolleyes:

When I sew leather I scribe a light pencil line where I want the stitches to be, then use a four tine dinner fork to uniformly mark where holes go. I do not use the Speedy Stitcher, much prefer a Awl, two blunt leather sewing needles and thread from the core of parachute cord. Saddle stitches make for a stronger seam I think with the two threads coming out of each hole from opposite sides.

I too have poked holes in my fingers with that little tool. I like your "winebox" solution. I like using an awl or punch to hole the material then a curved sail makers needle to pull the thread. Not a taylor by any definition and my work is way more functional than fashionable ;)

Attachments

• photo12218.jpg
    photo12218.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 1
As Boreal Birch stated the harness stitching technique is very strong, if you use a waxed Nyltex thread and double the last stitch all you have to do is cut the thread leaving about an 1/8" and melt it down no knots required. I've been using this technique successfully for 50 years.

My dad used one of these but I never picked it up. I just found this video, pretty dang simple

Back