• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Standard size sawhorse as two-canoe rack

G

Gawd I am slow on the uptake at times. I have some over-height, over-wide sawhorses, originally built for as extra canoe storage when needed, those also see use when working up inside a hull, especially inside the decked boats.

PB211373 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Um, yeah, so it (finally) occurs to me that my standard sized sawhorses already have a brace between the legs to help stiffen their stance. This one was perfect for what I had in mind.

PB280034 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Those leg stiffeners, set low on the sawhorse legs need nothing more than a 2x4 crossbar screwed in place to make a compact vertical 2-boat stand, and lose no sawhorse function in that guise.

I often have a boat or two waiting dry and warm for work in the shop. Now I can rack two off to the side, using only 3 feet of floor space, and have the top boat accessible for non-drippy repairs or measuring, planning, cogitating and dry fitting.

Guess I need to put some lower leg stiffeners on the rest of the shop horses. Of course I didn’t consider that low crossbar functionality at the time, and installed those cross pieces too high up the legs to accommodate a canoe-depth crossbar positioned down below.

PB280030 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I wouldn’t put a canoe on that low crossbar in outside storage, the gunwales are only 7” off the ground, and in a hard rain mud spatter would splash up at the brightwork ends and hasten bacterial rot.

But as a two-canoe shop rack, well, I am mighty slow on the uptake at times. A couple scrap pieces of 2x4 is all it takes.

I glued some leftover puzzle-piece edges from exercise flooring on the sides of the legs and bottom crossbar to prevent scratching up the lower hull when sliding it in or out.

P2020028 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

For two boat inside storage simple two tiered sawhorses have some movable and removable advantages.

Back