• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

New Backrest

One thing you might want to do is email Gil (his email is in the book). IIRC, when I emailed him with some pre-build questions about the Wabnaki he told me there was an error in the stem drawings included in the most recent edition and he emailed me corrected drawings. The difference was very subtle to my eye but he seemed to think it was important. I wish I still had those old emails but they are gone.

Good luck with the build. When I did mine, I hadn't discovered this forum and was mostly relying on woodworking advice from a bunch of talented woodworkers but who hadn't built canoes. (One former shipwright -- a man who had built huge sailboats professionally his whole life -- gave me a lot of good advice about working with glass and epoxy and dealing with a variety of issues that came up). But the folks here are the canoe-building experts as far as I am concerned.

Alsg, I just emailed Gil the other day and he indicated that the Wabnaki might be borderline for someone my size. His wealth of knowledge originally deterred me from pursuing the Wabnaki simply because I respect his recommendations. If anything I will build the Wabnaki as my first boat and see how it handles for me personally. I can always offer it up for sale if it doesn’t work out I suppose. I am still unsure of the capacity/displacement of the Wabnaki but at 16’ with the beam at 35-36” and hopefully one canoe pack as my only load plus my big load I should be fine. I am not bringing coolers, wannigans, cooking stoves, chairs etc.... when I go solo, especially on trips with significant portages so I am throwing my hat in the ring on this one and moving forward with the Wabnaki build.

Wow this is still going on! Sorry you all I am having problems getting on this site. I'm still getting my hind end in gear to build the Gils wabnaki. I need to get this sit issue resolved.

Back