• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Live aboard motor canoe project

G

This is a continuation of the motorized canoe with sea kayak ama project started in 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPErEihIaes

That boat, a 17 foot long by 37 inch wide Mad River Revelation, was too small for realizing the decades old live aboard dream. The better solution would have been a 20 foot Grumman square stern, but those are hens teeth. Still looking for one, aluminum would be better than Royalex for oyster bars and limestone as a motor canoe.

As a motorized double ender, the Miramichi, 20 feet long, 40 inches wide, 16 inches deep with decent rocker bow and stern, oughta work. It is essentially a big seaworthy Prospector.

Before we could stuff that 105 lb monster in the shop we needed to finish repair work on three long sea kayaks. It was a wandering path to get from one side of the shop to the other for a while, like a boat maze.

25095149278_a7328ce747_c.jpg
PB280030 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The Miramichi is a deep boat, and with the stem rise the usual gunwale level motor mount would not work.

27188978689_9edf9d8619_c.jpg
PC060054 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The little fuel sipper 4 stroke Suzuki is a short shaft, and the prop needs to be positionedbelow the bottom of the hull. Suzuki now makes a long shaft version of that motor. 2 years too late, we will make this one work.

We considered building a Gilpatrick style laminated wood motor mount, with exotic wood inserts. It was not our lack of craftsmanship that stopped us, it was metal craftsman and welder friend Steve, who built this rock solid beauty from quarter inch aluminum plate.

38250280354_0ccb187877_c.jpg
PC010040 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

That is one uber sturdy design. With different depth side plate holes, to make it height adjustable up and down. A very cunning piece of custom craftsmanship.

The side plate needed some wood sandwich, so the clamps had something to bite. Half inch oak, G flexed to the plate and eventually fully coated with epoxy and top coated with spar urethane.

27188982699_2bbf01bf64_c.jpg
PC050053 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Perfect prop height. Thanks Steve, you need to sign your handiwork when you see the finished product later this winter.

27188969689_34951bceb6_c.jpg
PC060057 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Once properly positioned that motor mount was attached through the inwales using stainless hex bolts. Stoutly fastened, the vinyl gunwales on the Miramichi have a full box aluminum insert, not just an L.

Even more stoutly fastened. We drilled hex bolt sized holes and pop rivet holes through the end plates from a couple stainless steel U bolts, and pop riveted those under the inwale. The motor mount attachment bolts are now, from top to bottom, passing through a quarter inch aluminum motor mount plate, aluminum insert top, aluminum insert bottom, and stainless steel plate under the bottom of the inwale. That should hold without undue bolt hole wear or elongation.

That was all the easy part, although we could not have progressed any further without Steves awesome side motor mount design. Now, with a working side motor mount, the canoe needed a platform atop the gunwales. A big platform, 88 inches long and near hull width wide.

We made a test platform using leftover five quarter deck boards from my scrap lumber rack. Heavy as heck pressure treated, but suitable for the prototype.

25095080088_c47507cecc_c.jpg
PC070061 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Why does it need such a platform? That is the live aboard part of the motor canoe concept.

25095067228_7c6f21878b_c.jpg
PC090066 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1. The platform tent had to be a solo, trapezoidal, end entry tent in order to fit atop the confines of the Miramichi sheerline and platform space.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Seedhouse-SL-1

Before anyone freaks out at the thouggt, the tent is securely attached to the platform, and the platform securely attached to the canoe, and the canoe will be securely anchored in protected shallows.

Very securely anchored. There are long, end anchor poles to twist into a sand, mud or marl bottom, spring lined through the bow and stern painter loops, preventing the canoe from moving fore or aft. The anchor poles are 8 feet long so they can be driven several feet into the bottom and still have leftover pole length for rising tides.

And, belt and suspenders, there is a 10 lb mushroom anchor off one side as well. That canoe should not move much except up and down every 6 hours.

OMAGAWD!, what if the canoe rolls sideways? Not to worry, there are adjustable length side floats, custom made adjustable height for the very deep Miramichi stems. Thanks to Chuck at Spring Creek, who has been helpful throughout this very peculiar, years long experiment.

Pay no attention to the photo. Those side float stabilizers actually go up on the bow end near the seat, and are not spread to width.

25095077348_c156f25726_c.jpg
PC080062 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

With the trapezoidal tent platform oriented in that direction there is ample leg room at the motor station, and open living space outside the door end of the tent for sitting and cooking and scaring people away with banjo plucking deep in the swamp. No one is poking back into that mangrove lagoon when they hear banjo music.

25095064348_29c9ac3c23_c.jpg
PC090067 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Again, maybe to convince my worrisome self this concept is safe, the platform is anchored to the thwarts, and the tent anchored to the platform. The tent pole ends are seated in platform holes. Nothing is blowing off in the wind, so solo Joels last words will not be a Monty Python-esque Tent Overboard, Tent Overboard. There is a story behind that blown into the water expression. Not happening this time.

PC090071 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

That pole foot stuck in platform works easily on the narrow trapezoidal foot end of the tent. The poles and fly at the door end are wider than the gunwales. The prototype solution was one scrap wood traverse board for pole holes and guy line attachment. The finished version is a skinnier laminated piece of oak.

PC090068 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Another puzzle. The guy lines for the center of fly need to be tightened to a point 12 inches outside the gunwale. How the heck do we do that? We dithered for a while.

Huzzah! It finally paid to have saved old fiberglass tent poles with ferrule ends, found years ago under a Townie party graffiti festooned bridge abutment on the Yellow Breaches. Those slender glass poles, plugged into holes drilled in the platform edge, were the prefect extension wands with a J hook pop riveted in place on the ferrule.

PC090069 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

For ease of in canoe, on water set up every tent pole seats solidly in a drilled platform hole, and every possible guy line simply loops around a J hook or existing machine screw shank end. Plug the three pole ends into the platform holes and loop the guy lines around the J hooks

No stakes, just put pole in hole, and loop the guylines around J hooks, and presto , a flat tent platform.

As designed it may be as quick to set up while afloat as a tent on shore. Time will tell, one last task on the To Do list is to set the Miramichi on a foam pad on the shop floor and sip a beer while I watch Joel erect the tent from inside the canoe. Just pretend the floor is lava.

Not shown, we were hard freaking at it over multiple 10 hour days and I did not take many photos, the platform board are connected together by three traverse runs of 2 inch webbing and held pulled taut to the inwales, to maintain the drainage gap spacing between boards.

That webbing spacing, allowing the platform planks to fold together flat, was a WTF mind bender. We are still not sure why what we did actually worked.

The boards now fold and stack flat atop each other for canoe trailer or roof rack transport, and can be rolled sideways to access gear stored underneath while lain flat in the canoe. While underway they will probably be left spread open.

Which does lead to the possibility of easypeasy, drain over the outwale spray covers sometime in the future. If the motor canoe is, as expected, run with the platform rolled out flat instead of furled together on one side, a spray cover could be as simple as a tarp or plastic sheet draped over the outwales.

We are a long ways from being done with perfecting this concept. Still, so far, not bad. This is the prototype deck board platform, before additional trapezoidal cuts.

PC090072 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

There is open space at both ends, either outside the tent or seated on the tent door end of the platform, protected under the vestibule. The 60L barrels fits in front of the bow seat for easy food and stove access, as does another peculiar live aboard requirement.

PB300038 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

PB300039 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

PC080065 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

This has been the most complex and challenging outfitting puzzle I have ever worked on. Thank god both Joel and I were cogitating solutions, even if we were sometimes making the same measurements from different staring points and then debating our differences.

As usual, with two heads thinking at once, we mostly kept each other from making mistakes. Mostly, hence making a full prototype platform before we screwed up using good boards. Having finalized a working prototype it was a lot easier to move on with surety to the routing, drilling and edge sanding stage of the finished product.

Still lots of outfitting to do, but meanwhile Joel can get busy hand sanding the routed edge of the lighter weight platform boards, prior to rolling out the first coat of Spar Urethane. And I can finally sit in my office and peck at the keyboard.

PC100074 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

This crazy live aboard idea is actually gonna work, and can only get better as we perfect the design after a winters use and trail experimentation. Still needs a marine fire extinguisher to be legal.

Next year, maybe a sail to save gas. And a sun shade umbrella holder positioned at either seat.

Last edited:
I'd be concerned about the high center of gravity when in the tent. If it did go over, water pressure on the tent fabric would be hard to overcome.
Jim

It sure looks like an interesting project. I'd probably feel safer if my 'bunk' was on the bottom of the hull, with a small canopy rising two or three feet above the gunwales. I'm thinking with that setup shown in the photos, I'd be looking at some kind of an outrigger for stability. I could be wrong, but please let us know how stable it is after your first water trial.
-Wayne

Wayne, These should make it very stable while asleep https://www.springcreek.com/product/...plete-package/ . I plan to be out in this for weeks at a time in Everglades and so need lots of space under the tent platform for petrel, water and such. Jim, if I fall overboard in the tent my only concern will be that the critters won't be able to get to me through the tent thereby preserving the body!

Well Joel, I wish you luck. I hope it ends up being steady enough, those pontoons don't really look big enough, but I hope it all works out for you. Touring the Everglades for a few weeks sounds like a good time. I've paddled there myself a few times (the Wilderness waterway Trail from Everglades City down to Flamingo - both inland and up the coast) and really love it - paradise on earth for sure!
-Wayne

I hope it ends up being steady enough, those pontoons don't really look big enough, but I hope it all works out for you.

The pontoons are larger and more buoyant than the skewed perspective in that photo makes them appear.

There are a couple of add alts that could make the sleeping platform more steady if needed. One would be to employ a second set of pontoons identical to the first, with floats on either side of the canoe bow and stern. Or perhaps just drop a small anchor straight down from each pontoon outriggers.

The other proven solid stability solution would be to employ the kayak outrigger as shown in the video.

We are a long ways from being done with perfecting this concept.

I was leery of the live aboard concept at first, but after seeing it develop in the shop I am confident that Joel will figure out a reliable way to stabilize the canoe and sleeping platform. Sometime simply writing this stuff out helps think the process through.

Sometimes looking at the photos reveals something we overlooked while standing next to the canoe. The pole attachment at the foot end of the tent for example, we have a hole drilled in the platform for the pole end to seat in, but we forgot the J hook to lash down the stake loop, without which that end of the tent could lift in the wind.

The design and construction work continues, the third coat of spar urethane goes on the platform boards today and we reassemble it all again next weekend for continued tweaking.

If I were to spitball this idea from scratch, I'd lay a 3/8ths ply on the bottom cut to fit the hull profile, edges protecting the hull with pipe insulation slit and fit lengthwise, and this sleeping deck supported with something lightweight, maybe a trimmed block of foam? No tent. A new spray cover might suffice, cut generously to yield more headroom. I'd need to remove the bow seat and a forward thwart too. To replace that but keep some hull integrity maybe make a new one from aluminum, bent or manufactured to follow the enlarged spray deck opening. Perhaps that aluminum structure should become a super structure, by adding a length forward to reach the bow. This would form a T, the lateral "thwart" with a forward spine strengthening it. This might be clamped onto the gunnels rather than bolted. Here comes the fancy spit. I'd include a clear window in the front panel of the spray fly cover if I could. Now with snaps of course you'd probably need to exit the craft to fit cover down tight and subsequently remove in morning. You did mention being anchored in shallow water. Or maybe with the front windshield and lowish profile this rig could be paddled fully set up; no tear down necessary? Having a lower COG means I'd dispense with the outriggers but keep a pair of anchors (bow and stern). Heck, I might even extend the platform a couple feet into the middle to provide cooking space? Lay in bed (don't forget the sleeping pad) and reach out to the alcohol burner for my morning coffee.
Okay, that was a lot of spit. Sorry.

ps I might carry a latrine, but would prefer just some TP and a folding shovel.

Last edited:
Yeah, buy mine that I have had listed for sale for ages.

Sfm, just in case, listed for sale where? Got a link?

If I were to spitball this idea from scratch, I'd lay a 3/8ths ply on the bottom cut to fit the hull profile, edges protecting the hull with pipe insulation slit and fit lengthwise, and this sleeping deck supported with something lightweight, maybe a trimmed block of foam? No tent. A new spray cover might suffice, cut generously to yield more headroom. I'd need to remove the bow seat and a forward thwart too. To replace that but keep some hull integrity maybe make a new one from aluminum, bent or manufactured to follow the enlarged spray deck opening.

Brad, if you could only see the weeks of spitballing this idea that has already elicited. It has been the most complex and puzzling aint never done nothing like this before outfitting project yet.

And as such I have learned a ton. Doing the same now routine repair and outfitting jobs I do not learn much new. This has been a 3 credit continuing education course, and I think we have a solid B plus at this point.

As a tandem canoe, under paddle or motor, the Miramichi is a gear hauling gem, and will see both paddling and motorized used as a tandem without the sleeping platform, so the well placed bow seat has to stay.

Use in Florida absolutely necessitates well sealed noseeum netting, and a good rainfly. The easiest way to achieve that, without recreating the wheel, was using a small, well designed end-entry tent.

Watertribe and other adventure racers in Sea Wind decked expedition canoes use some combination of bug screens and rain flies connected around the cockpit coming and sleep in their boats. I have seen photos of Sea Winds done that way in cunning fashion.

But their version of sleep means Oh crap I am starting to hallucinate again, lemme crash in the bottom of the boat for a few hours tied to a mangrove tree. That does not sound restful over week long trips, and either they are very short of stature, or they do not have a weeks worth of food and water aboard.

The motor canoe may be out for extended periods, mostly in tidal areas. The motor means carrying sufficient fuel, at least a couple small Gerry cans, and some Sigg bottles which are more convenient to refilling the motor. And oil, shear pins, tools, and spare parts.

The tidal part means carrying sufficient potable water for the duration of the trip. A week or 10 days is a lot of water. Thank god Joel is not much of a beer drinker. One future thing that might be worth considering is a way to collect rainwater off the fly, even if it was just used for washing up or cooking

The extended time frame means carrying sufficient fuel for the body, hence the 60L barrel, accessible from the tent door in front of the bow seat, conveniently located where the trim weight to offset the motor and motorman in the stern will be appreciated. Fuel and water load can be distributed and redistributed for best trim as well.

NOTE TO JOEL. I just checked, a 30L barrels fits everywhere, horizontally in front of the bow seat, and it fits under either the thwarts or yoke. If I can get almost three weeks out of a 30L barrel I know rice and beans you can. Brother, you need a 30L barrel, without a harness.

Just fuel, food and water constitute a lot of gear volume and weight in the canoe. Putting all that stuff on top of the fitted hull profile platform just above the bilge and the sleeping space is gone unless the thwarts and bow seat are moved radically, and the yoke made removable.

Putting all that stuff down low with the plywood platform on top there is not much space left between the top of the platform and the bottom of the thwarts, and the platform probably is not much lower than in current design.

We did consider plywood for the platform, but thought that had several drawbacks. The tent platform needs to be transported back and forth between Florida and Maine, and maybe Maine and Utah, either on a canoe trailer or on the vehicle roof racks, so the plywood platform would need to be cut into at least 3 longitudinal sections for transport in any case.

And I am not a fan of most commonly available plywood in marine applications, even with multiple epoxy coats.

With the fuel, water and etc gear located below the platform the webbing connections allow it to be accordion stacked or rolled over to access the gear below, and the whole thing can be stacked into a single five and one half inch wide by 4 inch tall bundle that weighs 25 lb for transport.

The webbing to board connection spacing needed for stacking the plank platform was a another mind bender in this build. Not rolled, but flat stacked. Do not even try to figure that out at home, neither of us are sure how we got it right.

I know we are nowhere near finished with this project, nor even have proof of initial concept, and I am sure this rig will be back in the shop next year for improvements. I was joking with Joel about using kevlar airex honeycomb panels instead of common board, and we may find something lighter than spar urethaned common board.

I was not joking about Swiss cheesing the boards with a spaced series of offset half inch holes, to reduce the platform weight and add drainage. Not now, those boards are on their third coat of spar urethane and have only now finished drinking in protection.

We shall see how the trial run with this rig goes, no doubt first attempted in a shallow, wind protected area and not anchored off Cape Sable. Shallow enough that he can kneel on the sandy bottom and find the soggy tent zipper, right Joel?

At some point the Miramichi is getting a sail. I have a bought used 2 meter Pacific Action Sail, made for large tandem boats. Way too big for any of our solos, so it has sat unused for years. The big honking 20 footer canoe would be the ideal home for it. It would save fuel on any downwind leg, and could be used solo or tandem.

No doubt Joel carries TP and a trowel on any multiday trip, but the trowel or folding shovel would be less handy on a floating campsite. Unless you are thinking manual splash bidet.

I admire the ingenuity, hard work and creativity but am a little puzzled at the purpose of the craft. Is it simply to avoid relying on chickies and beaches in the Everglades? Is Joel going to be alone or with a group, and if a group, where are they going to be camping while he's in the Khan Tiki?

I, too, would choose to sleep on the bottom of the canoe under some sort of canoe cover/bug net device, and feel certain I'd have room in a canoe 20' long and 40" wide. If I really needed to move gear to have enough room, I'd consider carrying an inflatable raft to offload some gear during the night.

But it's not my project -- in fact, I never have projects -- so I'll be very interested in Joel's equipoise experiences, which I hope will be photographed.

For those not aware, Howard Rice sailed a tented canoe around Cape Horn in 1990. Here's his craft, the Sylph:

DSCN0177-1_zps09e203bf.jpg

1305158111503558.jpg

DSCN0171.jpg

Glen, Wow, the Sylph looks amazing! Wish I had a place, the time and skill to build such a craft.

Every Winter I live in and around Everglades National Park and guide 3 to 16 day sea kayak trips there for a living. I have chosen to live a life were most Winters I spend 0 to very few nights sleeping inside a building. Everything I use for clients, tents, sleeping gear, screen houses, pressure cookers, kayaks, paddles, pfds and so on has to fit in or on my mini van and kayak trailer. The motor canoe has to be as compact as possible.

I need a lot of space, can't stand the sound of motors and am deeply enamored with the farthest reaches of the Everglades back country. There is little land back there and where its found are wonderful campsites such as Camp Lonesome, Cane Patch and Willy Willy. All of those campsites are frequented by fisherman with large motor boats, using bright lights and often playing music from electronic devices. There are of course the ubiquitous chickees. I am not a fan. Don't get me wrong. I've had many amazing nights staying on them but there are very few single chickees and getting a permit to line up with an itinerary with the singles can be nearly impossible. Even though I have met amazing folks on the other side of a chickee I feel my peace and space has been invaded when ever another group shows up. They are also difficult in winds. With the canoe I could always set up on the lee side.

The dream of this boat is the freedom to camp where ever I chose and to finally be able to explore creeks that I have not been able to see because they are just to far from campsites and roads. I also normally, this year is not normal as I have to help with a sick parent, travel to all of the ground sites before the season to clean them up and see what change have occurred over the Summer so I know what I am bringing clients into. I have always done this by kayak but am no longer a spring chicken and the mileage that these early trips require are becoming more difficult.

I have dreamed of this for many years. This is the second attempt thanks mostly to Mike McCrea and Steve Snyder. It may or may not work but the whole project has been a gift working with Mike and Steve at a time I needed a distraction the most.

Sounds great, Joel. The thought of you tucked away amongst the reeds in a small bay, out of the wind and soaking up the sun, will warm me up a little while I'm bundled up doing the duck walk over the frozen ice and snow this winter.

Alan

As someone who had a bathroom emergency from the branches of a mangrove tree I'd say the latrine is essential in most of the Everglades, if you are planning to sleep on the boat.

The boat looks pretty good to me, the only thing I see that is missing is a mailbox.;)

Every Winter I live in and around Everglades National Park and guide 3 to 16 day sea kayak trips there for a living. I have chosen to live a life were most Winters I spend 0 to very few nights sleeping inside a building. Everything I use for clients, tents, sleeping gear, screen houses, pressure cookers, kayaks, paddles, pfds and so on has to fit in or on my mini van and kayak trailer. The motor canoe has to be as compact as possible.

The dream of this boat is the freedom to camp where ever I chose and to finally be able to explore creeks that I have not been able to see because they are just to far from campsites and roads. I also normally travel to all of the ground sites before the season to clean them up and see what change have occurred over the Summer so I know what I am bringing clients into. I have always done this by kayak but am no longer a spring chicken and the mileage that these early trips require are becoming more difficult.

It may or may not work but the whole project has been a gift working with Mike and Steve at a time I needed a distraction the most.

The gift that keeps on giving. I got the fourth coat of spar urethane on the plank boards this morning, including swabbing inside the pole and etc holes. The epoxy on the wood motor mount sandwich and other laminated boards should be cured and sandable by tomorrow and I can urethane them as well.

Home Depot again this morning while the shop warmed up to replace shop consumables. Another can of spar urethane, foam rollers and brushes. Oh look, theres the beer store. And the diner.

Back to work.

Hey Alan, it is cold and windy here today , but the shop is warm and toasty. How is your new shop coming along?

but the shop is warm and toasty. How is your new shop coming along?

It's mostly together. All the little stuff needs to be put away and organized. I hate putting stuff away and organizing so I've been doing other things to procrastinate for a couple weeks. Had no intentions of building a canoe this winter but am starting to consider it now since things are mostly setup. It sure is tiny and cold though.

Alan

I hate putting stuff away and organizing so I've been doing other things to procrastinate for a couple weeks.

On the top of my TO DO list is Organize Office, File Bills and Paperwork. That is my least favorite organizational task. Fortunately I have been able to procrastinate for weeks messing around with the live aboard motor canoe project.

This is absolutely the coolest and most challenging thing I have ever worked on. I have been making sequential step lists, and parts run lists, for the next days and weeks tasks.

This is so different from the usual know what I am doing outfitting projects that I would have been overwhelmed by the complexity and best sequential order without referring to a printed list for reference, crossing things off as they were completed and adding new things we had not thought of.

Here is the list of what I think we still have to do.

Gflex bead around edge of spike tips and T-grips of 8 foot long side anchor poles
Add High Intensity reflective tape to canoe bow and stern for night visibility when Joel returns later than expected. THERE BE MY FLOATING CAMPSITE.
Continue flipping and urethane coating platform boards. Black dot side on planks equals first side coated
Top coat cured epoxy motor mount and end board with Spar Urethane.
Drill and pop rivet SS U-bolt plate under right gunwale for hex bolt stiffener
Mark machine screw holes through oak motor mount sandwich with motor in place. Urethane inside holes.
Attach webbing to platform boards with screws and washers. The prototype design of this alone was mind boggling. The boards all flat stack, so the webbing spacing between screws varies from board to board.
Attach J hooks to new laminated oak tent door end lateral spacer
Drill new fully retracted side float thumb button holes in aka tubes.
Install new webbing tie down loops for platform
Install faux Bimini golf umbrella connections at bow and stern seat. Maybe use short webbing loops pop riveted to inwale, with a faux mast step on seat frame edge?
Put up tent on platform for second test fit
Install J hook (or ?) for foot end of tent stake loop. We missed that one.
Heat gun the J hooks pop riveted to fiberglass side wands and compress opening.
Make spare side wand and J hook (I already did that, and did the heat gun plastic bending experiment)
Lubricate thumb buttons on all aka tubes
Fill old seat holes on bottom of inwale left from third seat removal, or add webbing loops there to already existing under inwale holes.
Some strategic vinyl anchor pad double D rings would be nice. I only have 2 left and those are for Scotts canoe. Hello, BMO?
Install new boat registration numbers
Add personal contact info to motor mount and etc?
Mount marine fire extinguisher in accessible location in canoe? And to van interior?
Configure rainwater collector tarp rig?
Anything we need to do to make sure motor is running properly?
Make fancy checkerboard bow seat tabletop ;-)
Install fair leads and cleats for 2 sqm Pacific Action Sail. Not kidding.

Back