• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Barrens build

Reaction score
'Tis the season for building. A high volume solo for big loads and big water. This is, I hope, the boat I should have had on my last trip. 16'x32" with 21" shear in the bow, 14" in the center, and 18" (or maybe it was 19") in the stern. Lots of flare in the bow. Couple inches of rocker in bow and stern (no differential rocker) with an asymmetrical bottom.

Inside will be Kevlar. Outside will be E-glass and S-glass. Or maybe some Kevlar there too. Will be painted inside and out. Have a couple ideas in mind to cut down on time and materials when it comes to sanding and fill coats.

This is going to be a down and dirty functional build and probably not much for aesthetics. I'm starting with 5/32" strips but will transition to something thicker at the waterline. I'm also using square edged strips instead of bead and cove. No real reason other than I want to know how the two compare.

20161023_001 by Alan, on Flickr

20161023_002 by Alan, on Flickr

Alan

Inner stem eh? Is that for ease of build or strength this time around? Going to do outties as well?

Partly because I like the look of a tapered stem and also because I thought it might make it easier to build; but now that I've started I'm thinking otherwise. On my Bloodvein, which also has a lot of flare in the bow, there was quite a bend in the shear between the stem and adjoining form. I thought a tapered stem, being wider at the shear, would relieve some of this stress. But I must have gotten the lines a little smoother on this one because the tapered stem turned out to be too wide and the strips bridge the first and last forms above the waterline. The simple fix was to staple a 3/16" strip to the first and last forms to build them up a little.

Won't be using outer stems.

I think that this is just the mold for his Kevlar canoe so the wieght of inner stems shouldn't be an issue

The wood will be staying but I'll cover it with Kevlar. I forgot to weigh the wood stems before installing them but they're cedar and by the time you get done shaping them I don't think there's really much extra weight, especially when you take into account the thickened epoxy used to fill the stem on a stemless build.

Joining the strip tips on a stemless build doesn't bother me but it is nicer not having the do it. So far the square edge strips have worked out fine but I haven't gotten to the bilge turn yet, which is where they'll start taking a little more time. Biggest downside is without a bead and cove the strips don't hold alignment as well between the forms and it's harder to place the glue, especially with 5/32" strips.

Alan

Last edited:
Wow ! You are making progress ! When we talked last you were still designing !

​ It's easier using square edge with thin strips, than trying to bead and cove them. The edges are soo fragile, when you B&C thin strips. Good move !
​ Plenty of staples ! As you say, the wood will be hidden.

The wood will keep your cost down, but watch out for the weight. Staying away from Ash, should help a lot.

​ I've still been thinking of a "Y" stern on my next build. I'll be able to maintain a longer waterline, with shorter strips.

Great start !!!

Jim

Last edited:
Alan, I don't usually participate in these building threads because I don't even know the lingo. But I'm curious where or how you get the idea for the shapes of those vertical cutouts -- stations?, forms? -- in other words, for the shape of the hull.

Do you base it on the shape of some other canoe you like. Or design it on a supercomputer with a CAD program. Or use the Mike Galt method: "my eyes, a Chesterfield and a Budweiser."

Also curious as to why you would want more rocker in the stern to paddle on big lakes.

I see the shouldered tumblehome. What will you end up with a gunnel width ?

​ The 1/8" thick strips I glued for my inserts were flat edge, but I didn't have a bilge to worry about.
​ I think if you have trouble with strips slipping at the edges, masking tape will help hold them together. Or a bunch more staples !

​ Is the bottom a little flatter ?

Jim

But I'm curious where or how you get the idea for the shapes of those vertical cutouts -- stations?, forms? -- in other words, for the shape of the hull. Do you base it on the shape of some other canoe you like. Or design it on a supercomputer with a CAD program.

I use Delfship. It's a computer program mostly geared towards designing yachts and ships but after beating my head against the wall for a couple weeks I was finally able to figure out how to get the relative shape of a lowly canoe out of it. I might be able to draw out the stations on paper now, and get somewhat close to what I want, but I never could have at the beginning. The computer makes it so much easier to not only come up with the first version of a design but also to make incremental changes along the way and instantly see what affect it has on stability and resistance moving through the water. The changes often aren't what I expect them to be.

Or use the Mike Galt method: "my eyes, a Chesterfield and a Budweiser."

I don't like beer or cigarettes so I guess I can't fully subscribe to the Mike Galt method. I do like my eyes though and use them quite a bit. The program can spit out more confusing number and coefficients than I know what to do with. I rely on the computer to tell me the hull's stability and resistance when moving through the water at different speeds but I mostly rely on my eyes when it comes to drawing in the rocker, stem shape, and bottom profiles.

I've been very happy with all the hulls I've designed and built so far. I don't think that means I'm a boy genius but rather I think it means as long as you don't go crazy it's hard to screw up a canoe.

I do use existing hulls as a reference. I try to find other hulls I think would perform well in the conditions I want to design a boat for to get an idea of what lengths, widths, and shear heights seem to be preferred. From there I try to come up with something that fits my preferred paddling and tripping style.

Also curious as to why you would want more rocker in the stern to paddle on big lakes.

Good question. It's not just big lakes but some pretty big whitewater I'd like to be able to handle in this canoe as well. I've only paddled canoes with differential rocker and more and more I think I'm finding them frustrating. When heavily loaded for a trip in moving water controlled back ferrying seems to be pretty much out of the question. Uncontrolled is no problem, especially when I try to slow down in the middle of a rapid. So mostly I'm hoping for better control in moving water. But I'm also curious to know how symmetrical rocker handles wind. Seems like it should be more affected by the wind but my canoes with differential rocker still get blown around and when the wind gets really strong they're a bear to try and get the stern back in line. Will it be better with symmetrical rocker? I'd like to find out.

Oh, and I'm thinking very seriously about setting this canoe up with a rudder to help with the open water paddling.

What will you end up with a gunnel width ?

I think it was 27".

Is the bottom a little flatter ?

A little rounder than the Bloodvein. Better speed and more strength.

Alan

Alan,
I expected you would be building something again, and using the experiences from your latest adventure to guide your design...
As for the straight edged strips, all of my boats except for the last one, had straight edged strips. Most severe tumblehome I've ever done was my DY Special, and I had no trouble keeping the strips together. I don't see anything too radical in your forms, I doubt you'll have any problems keeping the strips gap free.

Are you still using DELFTship? I keep dabbling with it, but I have trouble closing the second stem. Funny for me, I've spent over 30 years with CAD programs, and the last 20 years doing 3D modeling with Inventor, Solidworks, ProE, and yet I struggle with Delftship. I'll get it eventually.

FWIW, I paddled both style of tripping canoes symmetrical rocker and differential rocker, and in my experience, the symmetrical rocker is much easier to control in tripping condition than the other kind. As for pure ww just for fun, I like both... I use to have a Souris River Skeena and I can tell you that other than being a pig, it was harder to trim properly, and it was again in windy condition!!

Alan, you don't skip a beat, right back to building. I dont even have a job right now and I don't seem to have the time.

Delftship has always troubled me, like Stripperguy I have troubles with the stems. The program and I don't mesh up there. I've only had success in delftship with simpler shapes, hard chines. Seems like I'll spend the time, figure out the program's in and outs, and then the next time I use it months later I've forgot all that.

To Glenn's question as an alternative answer, there is an inbetween that I mostly use. With a copy of "Preliminary Design of Boats and Ships" and "The Shape of the Canoe" nearby I will start with an idea, start with the midsection shape, waterline length, and rocker, and then fill in the blanks with a 2D drafting program. Basically like doing it on paper with orthographic plan drawings but easier to edit and measure. I do all the basic calculations by hand until I'm happy. My design stays at that point as a mostly finished concept which I have MANY of. I've got pretty efficient at this. If I get serious about it then I might put it in delftship for final tweeks. But to answer simply, the station molds come last. Midsection shape and waterlines come first and then the stations take shape on their own. Took me a long time to figure that out.

Unlike Alan, I'm more of a conceptual builder. The idea of the boat is the important thing for now. It isn't so much vital for me to actually cut the molds. And I will continue to tweak on paper as a mind exercise as I learn. I definitely applaud Alan's method of building and evaluation and progession. There is only so much the computer or mind can refine a design before actually feeling it out on the water.

So yeah, keep it up Alan, your dedication is inspiring.

And Glenn, start drawing some boats, no matter how simple you start, it's very meditative.

Edit to add and ramble further, I build a lot of models out of balsa strips. It only takes one night, a few bucks, and a few beers that way, and then I can actually physically feel and visualize a design.

Last edited:
I mostly rely on my eyes when it comes to drawing in the rocker, stem shape, and bottom profiles.

I do use existing hulls as a reference. I try to find other hulls I think would perform well in the conditions I want to design a boat for to get an idea of what lengths, widths, and shear heights seem to be preferred. From there I try to come up with something that fits my preferred paddling and tripping style.

It no doubt helps that you have experience in creating purpose built hull designs, specifically canoes for use by a fellow named Alan Gage. You know what works for you, and what you want to tweak from manufactured hulls and past Gage designed canoes. That is an enviable progression of just-so canoes.

I have never built a boat from scratch (and doubtful ever will), but I have owned and paddled a large enough selection of canoes that I can pretty much look at a hull and determine how well it will suit my peculiar preferences.

I can kinda tell just from the basic specifications, but actually seeing the canoe in person, even without a test paddle, is enough. Or at least enough to say “Not gonna happen” or “Worth a try”. And even if it fits I’m going to modify at least the seat and thwarts some in any case.

Oh, and I'm thinking very seriously about setting this canoe up with a rudder to help with the open water paddling.

I am really looking forward to seeing that part come to fruition. One rudder design facet that might be valuable for your mixed bag of rivers, lakes and portages is having a rudder blade (or blade and housing) that easily detaches and reattaches quickly and easily, so that nothing is not sticking up or out when portaging thickly, pivoting arse-end-unseen in a rock walled eddy or lining. Especially lining, where a fixed rudder blade could be a PITA.

Removing and reattaching the rudder housing and controls would be time consuming, and leave you with a bag of lines, pedals, controls, housing and blade. I can’t imagine a way to make reattachment quick or easy. Leaving just the pedals, controls and lines, with the housing and blade detachable

The modified rudder and housing on the ’76 Kamerad comes off with a single long pin, and the control lines are attached by mini S-biners. The only thing sticking out are two gudgeons on the stern.

On the ’77 Optima the rudder blade detaches via a pin on the housing and an SS biner on the blade

I have faith that you will design something more detachment elegant and carbon fiber lighter, maybe with an efficient foil shaped carbon blade.

I have faith that you will design something more detachment elegant and carbon fiber lighter, maybe with an efficient foil shaped carbon blade.

A foil shaped carbon blade at first seems the obvious choice to me but then you lose the ability of just letting gravity take care of deployment. It suddenly gets more complicated when you think about adding a spring for deployment or a cord that's pulled one way to raise and the other way to lower. Maybe more practical to just buy a factory made unit that could be adapted to fit my hull.

There's a simple beauty in those big aluminum rudders, although they do look kinda dorky wagging like a tail out the back end when not deployed. But, like you said, all the better reason to come up with a simple quick release so the whole thing can be removed when not in use.

There will certainly be some head scratching going on when it's time to design the rudder.

You know what works for you, and what you want to tweak from manufactured hulls and past Gage designed canoes. That is an enviable progression of just-so canoes.

You're certainly right. Each new design gets easier. The first design was by far the hardest, and not just because I was learning new software at the same time, but because there was no frame of reference for what I was seeing on the computer. I was getting calculations for resistance and stability but I had no way to correlate them to reality. It was very frustrating. But after building and paddling a few all of a sudden you have something to compare to and things seem to fall into place better; although I still tend to drive myself a little crazy obsessing over small details that probably won't make a nickels worth of difference in the end.

Sometimes I just need to stop and walk away from the computer and come back the next day with fresh eyes. Often I'm shocked when I see how "wrong" my work from the previous night appears to be and then I can quickly fix it.

Alan

I have a rudder kit from a kayak, you might be interested in. I'll bring it up if you remind me next time !

A foil shaped carbon blade at first seems the obvious choice to me but then you lose the ability of just letting gravity take care of deployment. It suddenly gets more complicated when you think about adding a spring for deployment or a cord that's pulled one way to raise and the other way to lower.

I agree about springs and such, even a simplistic gravity deploy rudder is delicate enough. You could weight a carbon blade with an abrasion plate (metal scrape edge or even just Dynel) along the forward shallows-drag side so that it would gravity deploy. Perhaps not as applicable to where you trip, but in shallow water bays a rudder, even when dragging in the sand, is a godsend.

Still my favorite rudder and sail video. Nothing here is more than 6 inches deep, a huge PITA to plant a paddle blade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU2mE83Gi0M

Maybe more practical to just buy a factory made unit that could be adapted to fit my hull.

Uh, huh.

I have a rudder kit from a kayak, you might be interested in. I'll bring it up if you remind me next time !

Yeah, don’t buy a new rudder kit (they are pricey). Take Jim up on that offer and then adapt the parts and pieces, or, better yet, just contemplate their functionality for a fresh start in new, easily detachable canoe rudder design.

I’ll happily take the leftover parts and pieces of Jim’s kit after you have designed the Gage Mark I detachable canoe rudder.

Alan, you know what kind of hull you want to build, but I'm just going to use this post as a vehicle to voice a number of thoughts your comments and pictures evoke in me.

Like Mike M., I don't build canoes but I know what I like and don't like, and can "design" hulls in my head by visualizing tweaks I'd like to make to hulls I've paddled.

It's probably absurd to visualize the Barren from a couple of photos of forms, but it seems to have a flattish bottom, a fairly sharp chine amidships, and almost parallel sides extended further beyond the paddling station than is usual. I'd be very curious to test out the primary and secondary stability of the Barren.

In whitewater I strongly prefer a canoe with very progressive and finally solid secondary stability, so I can heel to the rail with absolute confidence. That's not necessary in flatwater, but I still prefer very predictable secondary stability in flatwater so I can paddle forward on a heel when I want to and stern slide turns on a heel.

Turnability on a heel can be built into a solo canoe without resorting to stern rocker at all. This is done with some extra volume and width behind the paddling station in conjunction with a "pinched" stern (hollow cheeks), like the Lotus Caper. When heeled, the aft volume lifts the pinched stern out of the water to form a "crack" -- an open air space between the water and the heeled stem of the pinched stern. This allows for very aggressive stern-slide turning, especially if you can shift your weight forward. When this kind of hull is upright, unheeled, it will have a long and unrockered keel line for efficient forward paddling.

I'm not sure what you mean by controlled vs. uncontrolled back ferrying. In whitewater a canoe with more stern rocker will be easier to spin than one with lesser, and hence be easier to eddy and peel out. However, asymmetrically rockered canoes (such as my SRT) can easily be angled for a back ferry, but you may have to make the angle adjustment on the downstream side with a bow stroke (draw or pry). In general, it's easier to move the downstream end of a canoe than the upstream end in current. Still, a stiff stern pry by a strong paddler should move any stern enough for an initial ferry angle, especially with a three pound paddle.

The amount of rocker that is desirable when fighting flatwater wind and waves has long seemed to me to be a very delicate balance. The most out of control and scared I've ever been on lake waves was when I was paddling a symmetrical and highly rockered (~5") whitewater canoe downwind on a lake in Maine on a day trip. Even though I was then still fairly young, strong and experienced, I was helpless to control the angle of the canoe. I had no significant gear weight in the canoe and couldn't shift my body position. I was pinned relentlessly sideways to the wind, and it was all I could do to maintain my balance with constantly weight-shifting heels and a bouncing low brace on the downwind side of the canoe, as I was blown sideways over whitecaps. A less rockered canoe will be less likely to be blown out of angle, but be harder to get back on angle once blown off. A canoe with Goldilocks rocker ("just right") will hold a reasonably stable angle and be reasonable easy to get back on course when blown off course, but only in reasonable winds. In unreasonable winds, it's time for a Cuban and some Uncle Lee's decaffeinated green tea in a DutchWare hammock.

Now, a rudder . . . that would be an orgasmic addition to a tripping canoe. It solves 80+% of the wind and wave problems on flatwater, and is a great aid in paddling upstream in current. I love the under-stern rudder on my Huki outrigger canoe, and if I had any tools or skills I would think about making an under-stern rudder for a CanAm canoe. While my Huki rudder cannot be retracted while underway, I can remove it in 30 seconds by just pulling ashore for a minute and unscrewing one nut. It stays on the canoe almost always, and I just have to be a little more careful than usual about water depth. I did bend the shaft once when I smashed into an unseen boulder at high velocity on Lake Huron. I have rudders of two different lengths (depths), and I had the longer one on for more control when I had my collision. On twisty streams or known shallow areas, I simply remove the rudder. The rudder cables for an under-stern rudder box wouldn't have to go outside the canoe or over the gunwales. I'm not sure whether that's an advantage or not. The virtue of an under-stern rudder is that it won't come out of the water at the critical loss-of-control time when the stern is poised in the air atop a wave.

Last edited:
Alan, you know what kind of hull you want to build, but I'm just going to use this post as a vehicle to voice a number of thoughts your comments and pictures evoke in me.

Much appreciated, Glenn. I'm always happy to hear the thoughts of experienced paddlers, especially ones who have different experiences (more whitewater) than me.

It's probably absurd to visualize the Barren from a couple of photos of forms, but it seems to have a flattish bottom, a fairly sharp chine amidships, and almost parallel sides extended further beyond the paddling station than is usual. I'd be very curious to test out the primary and secondary stability of the Barren.

The bottom is flatter than many other more "advanced" designs, for lack of a better word. When I get a chance I'll upload a picture of the actual stations and that will make it easier to visualize. I can also upload the stability curve but that doesn't really do much good unless you have the same data on other hulls you've paddled. I don't mind a canoe that feels a little squirrely with the primary stability as long as it has firm secondary but in this case I opted to put more of the volume below the water line; the biggest reason being to float the canoe a little higher. I'm anticipating around 350 pounds of total weight and the more I rounded the hull, while keeping the max width at 32", the farther and farther it sunk into the water. So I tried to strike a balance somewhere in the middle. When comparing it to the other designs I've built this should have much more resistance to tipping at maximum heal (about 1 1/2" below the gunwale) but how the transition between flat keel and healed will feel I'm not yet able to determine by just looking at the graph. I suspect it will feel similar to the other hulls I've built and I'm ok with that.

In whitewater I strongly prefer a canoe with very progressive and finally solid secondary stability, so I can heel to the rail with absolute confidence.

No extreme healing for me, at least not intentionally. With a large load as well as a dog, neither of which are usually tied in place, I try to avoid healing the canoe too much as I'm always afraid of the dog or 70lb food barrel suddenly shifting and sending me the rest of the way over. I'll take a little extra primary stability for standing in the canoe to scout what's ahead.

I'm not sure what you mean by controlled vs. uncontrolled back ferrying.

I just meant that with my Bloodvein, which has differential rocker and a stickier stern, that I find it very difficult, with a fully loaded canoe, to keep the proper angle without the current pushing me around. I also get taken by surprise sometimes when I try to pass through a rapids slowly, in order to see what's coming and avoid obstacles, when suddenly I start getting pushed off line as the current catches my stern and essentially puts me in a back ferry.

I run into similar problems when lining. On more than one occasion the bow has been caught in the current and the only thing I can do is let go of the bow rope and let the canoe swing around while holding onto the stern rope. But now the sticky stern is facing upstream and I have to be really careful to keep it from getting caught by the current until I can get a hand back on the canoe and the bow rope. I had this happen on my last trip and the stern did get caught in the current as I was trying to get back to the canoe. Fortunately I was close enough that once I was forced to let go of the stern rope I could grab the bow as it swung around but it made me realize how dangerous that sticky stern can be in some situations. Obviously the skill level of the person doing the lining comes into play here as well and I'll admit mine isn't very high. All the more reason to give myself any advantage I can.

In whitewater a canoe with more stern rocker will be easier to spin than one with lesser, and hence be easier to eddy and peel out. However, asymmetrically rockered canoes (such as my SRT) can easily be angled for a back ferry, but you may have to make the angle adjustment on the downstream side with a bow stroke (draw or pry).

Good point. That's something I'm working on making second nature but it's not there yet. When my stern starts getting manhandled in a fast rapid my instinct is to try and get it back in line by controlling the stern. Usually, by the time I realize what's going on, why it's going on, and what I really need to do, I've already made it through one way or another. Not having any local whitewater to practice on most of my learning comes while out tripping, where I'm less likely to take chances and get fancy. I should make an effort to hit some of the whitewater in N. Minnesota to get some practice in when the stakes aren't so high and I can try more things.

I think a lot of it comes down to the difference between a loaded and unloaded canoe. I have no doubt an experienced whitewater paddler can do a lot of things in a loaded tripping canoe I can't but there's a huge difference in the way the boats paddle loaded and empty. When empty I can back ferry, side slip, spin around and line up a set of rapids without much problem. But putting an extra 160 pounds into the boat sinks the hull farther in the water and turns it into a pig that doesn't want to do much of anything in a hurry. The boat I'm building now isn't something I'd want to paddle on flatwater with no load but, once loaded up for a 30-60 day trip, I'm hoping it will settle down nicely and give a good compromise between flat and moving water.

I love the under-stern rudder on my Huki outrigger canoe, and if I had any tools or skills I would think about making an under-stern rudder for a CanAm canoe. While my Huki rudder cannot be retracted while underway, I can remove it in 30 seconds by just pulling ashore for a minute and unscrewing one nut. It stays on the canoe almost always, and I just have to be a little more careful than usual about water depth. I did bend the shaft once when I smashed into an unseen boulder at high velocity on Lake Huron. The rudder cables for an under-stern rudder box wouldn't have to go outside the canoe or over the gunwales. I'm not sure whether that's an advantage or not.

They make a lot of sense for a 20' long boat that will be surfing swells but I don't know how much more effective they'd be on a tripping canoe.

I had an under-stern on my old WSBS Thunderbolt and while it worked very well I don't want one on a tripping canoe for a variety of reasons. On your Huki I'm assuming the rudder has a long shaft with a fastener on the top side you undo for removal? With an under-stern rudder it's necessary to have a waterproof housing that houses to rudder shaft that extends above the water line. Obviously you can't just drill a hole in the bottom of the canoe or water would rush in and you'd never be able to effectively seal it with o-rings. So on a tripping canoe you'd have a big box extending 8-10" above the floor, with cables running to the top of it, right where you'd want your packs to be.

I also worry about damage from impact with an under-stern rudder. The rudder on my Thunderbolt proved to be fairly robust but striking rocks in a 27 pound boat carrying only a 165 pound paddler is much different than striking rocks with a 50 pound boat carrying 300 pounds; especially in moving water. So to me a kick-up retractable rudder would be necessary for tripping.

Alan

Section outlines of the Barrens. For those not familiar with looking at these it's divided in half. You see the front half of the canoe on your right and the back half on your left. A bit hard to see in this small picture but the waterline is shown at 4.3" with 330 pounds total weight.

Barrens forms by Alan, on Flickr

Here's the entire linesplan. The waterline is shaded in white, again, at 330 pounds. The bow is on your right and stern on the left. If you click on the link it will take you to the Flickr page where you can probably find a way to see a larger version.

Barrens_v25_Linesplan by Alan, on Flickr

And the stability calculation. I healed the hull to 30 degrees, which is the point where the righting force will drop away. The graph on the left shows how the righting force increases as the hull is healed varying amounts and the chart below that shows it in numerical form. Just what it all technically means I don't quite know but I think of the GZ as the righting force you feel as the resistance to tipping when you start to lean.

Barrens stability by Alan, on Flickr

Alan

Last edited:
Back