• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Paddle shaft repair

Reaction score
Late last year, I snapped my favorite paddle in two. No rocks were involved - it was all just me and the current. That really was a lightweight paddle. Carbon reinforced laminated cedar. It was a jagged break, but mostly clean.

So a few weeks ago, I glued it back together with polyurethane glue. Managed to get it good and straight, and the glue joint looks tight and sound. That was a lesson in the creative use of various clamps. ;) Now I am trying to decide whether to wrap it with glass or just varnish it. I think the glue joint may actually be as strong as the rest of the shaft, but part of me just can't trust it. So - what do y'all think? 4 oz glass? Carbon? Or just varnish it?

Me, I'd wrap it with as light of fiberglass cloth as you have, and then wrap the wetted cloth with cellophane. This will leave a pretty smooth surface, that you can feather with sandpaper.

To me unless you scarf with at least a 9-1 scarf joint, you risk another break. Go with a cloth wrap.

Now a crazy idea. Go to the local fabric store and by some thin, tightly woven 100% Polyester cloth. Maybe some crazy color. Wrap and epoxy this around the break, and again cellophane wrap. I know crazy ! An unproven thought ( I'm really looking for a Guinea pig) !

Jim

I'd be afraid the newly glued joint, even if strong, might make what I assume is a pretty flexible shaft stiffer in that small area and make it more prone to breakage nearby. Personally I'd wrap the whole shaft with light fiberglass but I don't have any experience with this sort of thing.

Alan

No Title

Scarf joint... take a piece of wood, shape it the way your shaft is. Get rid of the splintered part on both the break area, straight cut for now. make a nice bevel on at least 6-8 inches on each paddle pieces. mesure where the new part needs its bevels so your paddle end up the same length, fine tune the bevels, clean wood with acetone, apply good quality(not 5 minutes) epoxy, clamp(inner tubes work great for that... When cured fine tune the transitions, and apply finish...
Pictures are not in order, I don't know why it always does that, even if I choose them in the right order:mad::rolleyes:

Attachments

• photo4674.jpg
    photo4674.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo4675.jpg
    photo4675.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo4677.jpg
    photo4677.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo4678.jpg
    photo4678.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo4676.jpg
    photo4676.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo4679.jpg
    photo4679.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo4680.jpg
    photo4680.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo4681.jpg
    photo4681.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo4682.jpg
    photo4682.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 0
No Title

Here is a few picture of the repair. She used it and so far so good. I'm confident that it won't break there if it does break!!

Attachments

• photo4085.jpg
    photo4085.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo4087.jpg
    photo4087.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 2
A scarf joint would look nice, but that's a lot of work for a $25 blem paddle. Really, another trip to the secret blem bin is in order.

Oooh!

Now a crazy idea. Go to the local fabric store and by some thin, tightly woven 100% Polyester cloth. Maybe some crazy color. Wrap and epoxy this around the break, and again cellophane wrap. I know crazy ! An unproven thought ( I'm really looking for a Guinea pig) !

A challenge! Me, in a fabric store (with my wife as a guide), searching for just the right pattern.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea.

I agree with canotrouge. The issue is that that break will be full of voids and cracks. The glue joint itself may not fail, but the surrounding damaged wood will. Scarf in a new piece, but be sure to orient the grain in the same direction, otherwise it will flex differently and put a lot of stress on the shaft.

I will also agree with canotrouge !
Scarfing, would definitely be the best way ! More work, but worth it !

Just cut the shaft off of the BB paddle in the pic ! HA just kidding about the BB.
My first BB bent blade is still in use after 18yrs .

Awww...too late now, but you should have slid some fiberglass sleeving over the shaft before you pieced it back together. Then, after you feathered the glue joint, slide the sleeving into place and hit it with epoxy resin.

Really not lots of work. The price of the paddle is irrelevant, if you like that paddle that is! If you don't send it to me I'l fix it and use it for many years to come:rolleyes:

Just cut the shaft off of the BB paddle in the pic ! HA just kidding about the BB.
My first BB bent blade is still in use after 18yrs .

Ha! My buddy John wouldn't think much of that idea - it's his paddle. I think he felt sorry for me having to use the double I carried as a spare.

Awww...too late now, but you should have slid some fiberglass sleeving over the shaft before you pieced it back together. Then, after you feathered the glue joint, slide the sleeving into place and hit it with epoxy resin.

What about shrink tubing? I have an awesome heat gun. ;)

What about shrink tubing? I have an awesome heat gun. ;)

Ho boy... By this time now, the paddle would have been fixed... Stop talking and get to work:eek:... Try all the above, starting with et shrink tube since we know it is the less likely to work:p

Nothing happens that fast around here. ;)

Up to my ears in modernizing my vegetable garden. Took a break from that and spent some time at the fabric shop with my wife. Made a purchase (suspense!). Inspected beehive. Went paddling. Picked up a Zav bent found on Craigslist. Took wife to dinner........you know - busy stuff.

Jim's idea intrigues me, since it is essentially a disposable paddle. If it ddoesn't work out, I can always hit the blem bin again - or just make one from scratch.

So Jim, what do you think? One wrap or two?

What do you have for cloth ?

The test I did last Winter of one layer vs twos of 6oz E-glass, convinced me to go two layers.

I'd cut the cloth so I could get two wraps at least 4" wide.

It's printed lightweight polyester. Pretty tight weave. I think it will be interesting but not too tacky. If it breaks after, we might even be relieved. ;)

Oh - I was thinking about wrapping the whole shaft or most of it anyway. Guess that wouldn't make a difference if I should go two wraps.

I have shortened several paddles by cutting off at an angle,gluing together with tight bond or gorilla glue, and wrapping the joint with s-cloth. No problems after. The hardest part is holding the two halves perfectly aligned while clamping the glue joint till dry.
Turtle

Back