• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Stripper plan sources?

Reaction score
What are some good places that have stripper plans available? I'm at least a year out from a build but that leaves plenty of time for thinking and planning.

Greenval is where I've gotten mine. Winters designs and Martin provides good assistance with any questions you might have and usually has some pictures to share to help explain things.

The folks at northwest canoe in St. Paul and great and I've gotten supplies from them before seeing as how they're just a few hours away. Free plans for their own designs available on their site to download. I was a little leery of how good they might be so I bought plans for a Kite (Osprey) when doing my first build rather than choosing one of theirs. But I've heard good things about the boats that have been built with those plans and they know their canoes so they should be able to come up with good designs.

What kind of hull are you looking to build?

Happy shopping!

Alan

Thank you lady and gentlemen :D

I'm thinking of a 17' flat water tripping tandem. Something a bit faster and a little lighter than a Old Town Penobscot 16.

Freedom 17 from Bear Mountain. I'm building it now, you can try it out when I'm done. So far it seems very easy to strip, no hard curves.

Hanz,

I have my own design 17 foot tandem...it's been built many times, always comes in under 42 lbs. Fast, yet stable enough, tracks great and still maneuverable.
If you have the means to interpret a CAD drawing, I can email you the design, PM me your email address.

Wysedav- I'd like to paddle that Freedom 17 when you're done. I'd have to bring my Sweetheart of course to see how she likes it.

Memaquay - What a great photo. I like your canoe, but, I'd rather have something more modern. I was admiring the Winisk.

Stripperguy - Thank you for your offer but I have no way to read CAD. 42#s sounds great! Is it symmetrical ?

It is a symmetric hull...my nephew has that hull, I might be able to arrange a test paddle. We are in the capitol district, not too far out of the way when you visit the ADK's.

Here's a photo to give you an idea I can arrange hard copies...

DSC_8045.JPG

Well, if you are thinking asymmetrical, it's hard to beat the Winisk. I have had that canoe through just about any imaginable situation on the water, and it was always seaworthy. It's also very easy to build, as most of the asymmetrical hulls are, they have a lot of straight lines. It's a canoe that is meant to be paddled with a load in it, it's not a day tripper. People used to barge like hulls might find it a little dodgy when paddling empty, but the performance it gives with a load is hard to beat.

With a review like that from Memaquay it sounds like the Winisk it will be. That's what I'm looking for something that's good with a load in it that can get through all conditions. Thank you.

Back