• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Yoga Block Canoe Console, Mark IV

G

Mike, I thought you'd like to see this...

Unseen behind the strap, is a slot for the I-phone/camera. I'm set to make another for myself, but with slots for gps and pocket camera.

The current Wallyworld yoga blocks are badged “Evolve”, and evolve I shall.

PB220043 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I really liked Steve’s idea of a slot for the camera or electronics, and the differentially sized two holer I made with an off-set camera slot works wonderfully.

20191123_110349 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

But there are times I’d prefer to have two 3 ½” diameter holes, to better fit both a beverage in coozie, and a canteen or coffee tumbler. But I’d still like to have the option of a slot for the camera or electronics.

Start with the usual:

Drill out a pair of 3 ½” holes and, as always, save the minicel core cylinders.

P3020016 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Cut, drain hole drill and varnish some wood bases for stability weight. (Or use exercise flooring for a UL version)

P3020014 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Contact cement the minicel console and base together.

P3030036 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Contact cement anti-skid neoprene to the bottom of the wood. (The push pins are to keep the contact cemented neoprene from curling)

P3030031 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Melt hot nail head sealed drainage holes in the neoprene. I love the smell of melting neoprene, reminds me of hot kayaker chicks.

P3030039 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

P3030050 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Looks just like a standard 2-holer Mark III console so far. On to the Mark IV electronics slot idea. I have to confess, WeatherTech’s (now cheap Chinese copied) cup console phone holder was my inspiration, and something like that might be GPS-map applicable in this guise.

https://www.amazon.com/WeatherTech-...ocphy=9007844&hvtargid=pla-596266556596&psc=1

Looking through the box of (heretofore) useless 3 ½” dia cylinders provided just what I needed, already cut to size. A ¾” thick cushion “base” with a (crude, I re-drilled it) drain hole, so the camera isn’t watery embedded and un-puckably in a too deep cavity in the console. I want some device sticking up to extract.

P3020024 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

That WTF will I ever do with these box also provided readymade cylinder inserts, already cut to fit flush at height of the console. A vertical slice slab band saw removed from a cylinder and I have a custom sized camera slot.

The usual minicel/contact cement action, three timed and dried coats of contact cement on each adhered minicel surface, little heat gun reactivation and those inset pieces are well and truly stuck together.

That slot holds the camera just fine. I was going to minicel fill in the sides of the slot at camera width, but that slot already wedges the camera securely, and I had a thought. I wonder if it would fit one of them there newfangled I-phones the kids are using. Not suggesting anyone should take an I-phone canoeing. Or even suggest owning one, if folks grow up never GPS-less, and never get lost, they may never learn how to read a dang map.

Galaxy Note 10; I’m told one of the widest I-phones around. Fits like a glove.

P3020026 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I pulled a mix of already cut pieces from the big box of minicel cylinders to pair with the latest batch of consoles.

P3020027 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

P3020030 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The lastest console recipients can slot cut the tops and contact cement them to the base for whatever electronica dimensions desired. Matching minicel colors will cost extra.

Dang, I finally found a use for those minicel cylinders. I may have to do a product recall on the dozens of earlier canoe consoles already distributed.

Emm, what to do with the slot insert when not in use?

P3030035 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The current Wallyworld yoga blocks are badged “Evolve”, and evolve I shall.

Somewhere in a bunker deep underneath Bentonville, AR there's a WalMart data scientist trying to figure this out. You've made his life more rewarding by giving him a tough puzzle to work on. He hasn't been this excited about his job since he figured out why strawberry pop-tarts cause hurricanes.

Somewhere in a bunker deep underneath Bentonville, AR there's a WalMart data scientist trying to figure this out. You've made his life more rewarding by giving him a tough puzzle to work on. He hasn't been this excited about his job since he figured out why strawberry pop-tarts cause hurricanes.

I’ll save him some work and see what else that camera sized slot will hold.

FRP radios
P3030040 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Weather radio
P3030042 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

No weather station? Waiting for a report on the scratchy AM/FM while I have my coffee
P3030043 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Corvid-19 protection
P3030046 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Burner phone so I can prank text Doug
P3030049 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Back