No announcement yet.

My First Canoe Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always just put the football under the main layer and wet them both out at the same time. Seems to work pretty good.

Comment

As Alan mentions, it’s important to get the resin on the hull as quickly as possible
      Remember it takes some time for the resin to soak through the cloth
      I generally pour on up to 18 oz of resin and spread it out quickly with a squeegee
      I don’t get too hung up in perfect saturation until the resin has been on the glass for a bit
      It can’t be rushed no matter how fast you squeegee or roll
      And lastly, use a foam roller sleeve not some fuzzy paint roller otherwise you’ll be picking fuzz out of your resin forever
      See stripperguy's photos

Comment

Originally posted by dcloots View Post
        Never watched Nich Schade before. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsupx-IXOzU
        Nick has lots of good videos, even though he's using all those skills to build kayaks! ha. Here's a video of his that catches what I was talking about. I think this link will take you to what I was trying to describe above.

Mark

Comment

It's incredible how every builder has their own method, and we all seem to come out with great boats. You will too !

The fun lies in making the choices that work for you. As they did for the rest of us !

Again, Good Luck !

Jim
          Keep your paddle wet, and your seat dry !

Comment

Originally posted by dogbrain View Post

Nick has lots of good videos, even though he's using all those skills to build kayaks! ha. Here's a video of his that catches what I was talking about. I think this link will take you to what I was trying to describe above.

Mark
            It didn't. Go to 4:25 and watch from there.

Mark

Comment

Well, I decided to go with a seal coat of Epoxy. Read through Gils book again and made a command decision to seal per the books recommendation. This seems to be a 50/50 affair with individuals. I have also decided that when I lay the fiberglass that the football will go under the main layer then wet out. I will play with intricacies down the road with different methods but for this first build and seeing that this also seems to be a 50/50 preferred method I figured I would follow the book again. Here are some pictures after the seal coat.

Comment

Looking good! That's how I did mine. Follow the book.

Comment

Looks great. I think my favorite part of the build is after the final sanding but before the glass has gone one.

Alan

Comment

Just uploaded my latest video on my canoe progress. Check it out if you’d like.

PART 7, FIberglassing The Exterior Canoe Hull
                    https://youtu.be/N46dSUN1REs

Comment

Way to go! You handled it like a pro!

Comment

Alsg, far from a pro but maybe a tad more skilled than someone who has never built a canoe!

Question for the forum. I missed the window to continue with a chemical bond with the follow on epoxy fill coats so I have sanded the hull once again after the initial wet out. My question is do I need to continue with the mechanical bonding technique or if my timing is better can I chemically bond the last two epoxy fill coats? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comment

How long did you miss it by? I talked to a tech at system three and he said you had 72 hours between coats before sanding would be needed. I suspect most epoxies are pretty much the same, despite what some people may say. I have always waited between coats until they have hardened up, often overnight, sometimes up to 48 hours, and nothing fell apart, lol.

Comment

Maybe I was failing on the side of conservative but 36 hours had elapsed since I was able to return to the project. Gils book clearly states 24 hours as well. Hard as a rock so I assumed that the cure was complete. I proceeded to sanding, assuming this was my only option. From here on out can I just chemically bond the next two layers? I would prefer that....obviously! The follow on methods after sanding is not clear with applying the final fill coats and how to do that.
                            Last edited by dcloots; 03-26-2020, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dcloots View Post
                              Maybe I was failing on the side of conservative but 36 hours had elapsed since I was able to return to the project. Gils book clearly states 24 hours as well. Hard as a rock so I assumed that the cure was complete. I proceeded to sanding, assuming this was my only option. From here on out can I just chemically bond the next two layers? I would prefer that....obviously! The follow on methods after sanding is not clear with applying the final fill coats and how to do that.
                              Doesn't matter if it's the wetout coat or fill coats. The chemical bonding time doesn't change. If you miss the window (whatever it might be) then you should sand lightly first.

Alan

Comment

System Three will tell to apply fill coats while the previous coat is still tacky ! It does help a great deal as far as runs, on the sides ! I also believe a clearer finish.

People have the impression that 72 hrs, and It's good ! It's much better closer to two hours ! Conditions such as heat and humidity come into play when you start stretching the time.

I had one instance looking back, of a fill coat not bonding very well ! I believe it was do to an Amine Blush, more than anything else. Since then I don't like to take the chance of waiting.

I personally wouldn't wait past 24 hrs. And I have no problems.

I'm not familiar with US composites, as all my experience has been with System Three, and RAKA. Oh, and one time with cld West System.

Moral of story ? Waiting causes more unnecessary work !

Jim
                                Keep your paddle wet, and your seat dry !

Comment

Working...
                                X