• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Axe handle

Nice job on the new handle and leather work! Looking at the orientation of the grain in your new handle, it appears to be ‘fore and aft’, or parallel to the long axis of the axe head. Was this intentional? Does it matter? Just curious, not being critical of your work.

Well there is lots of different thinking about that, In my experience, rift or quarter sawn/vertical grain is the way to go in axe handle(and lots of other tools, hammer, shovels, pick etc) if you have it the other way, flat grain then you end up with lots of run out grain that won't be as good when you start hitting stuff!!

Well there is lots of different thinking about that, In my experience, rift or quarter sawn/vertical grain is the way to go in axe handle(and lots of other tools, hammer, shovels, pick etc) if you have it the other way, flat grain then you end up with lots of run out grain that won't be as good when you start hitting stuff!!

Thanks, that was my thinking as well. I’m a carpenter, and grain orientation is critical in some situations. Think of an Ash baseball bat when it breaks... the flying fragment can resemble a spear!

Back