No announcement yet.

Axe handle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That would be great. I have made some full length ones with snaps, but they always seemed to me as kinda clumsy. Old trapper that I knew always carried his axe naked in his hand, casually lopping off limbs that were starting to encroach on his trails.
    "All I had were a few flies tucked into the band of my hat and an a old beaten-up Heddon rod, that had been on many trips." Sigurd F. Olson

Comment

Why paracord and not a leather closure on the Horse Butt Mask?

Comment

Didn't have leather lace and that cord is very durable. I use the axe as the pattern and mold it into shape. It's sewn on a very old harness stitching saddle and I use a diamond shaped awl to make the the stitching holes with two needles on the thread and 90 degree pliers to pull it through the holes. Horse is very durable but don't especially enjoy working with it, Veggie tanned cowhide is more enjoyable, molds better and takes a nicer finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Boreal Birch View Post
          That would be great. I have made some full length ones with snaps, but they always seemed to me as kinda clumsy. Old trapper that I knew always carried his axe naked in his hand, casually lopping off limbs that were starting to encroach on his trails.
          A lot of time I carry the axe naked while in the bush, I put the mask back on when getting back in the canoe. I can see that axe following me everywhere! I like having an axe in my hand while walking in the bush, unable you to be quick at setting a fire, clearing a trail, clearing a view port through bushes for a better view, and even stick it in a tree to rest the rifle for a longer shot/ more stable shot at that moose across the river!!
          Last edited by Canotrouge; 12-04-2019, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Nice job on the new handle and leather work! Looking at the orientation of the grain in your new handle, it appears to be ‘fore and aft’, or parallel to the long axis of the axe head. Was this intentional? Does it matter? Just curious, not being critical of your work.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Corry View Post
              Nice job on the new handle and leather work! Looking at the orientation of the grain in your new handle, it appears to be ‘fore and aft’, or parallel to the long axis of the axe head. Was this intentional? Does it matter? Just curious, not being critical of your work.
              Well there is lots of different thinking about that, In my experience, rift or quarter sawn/vertical grain is the way to go in axe handle(and lots of other tools, hammer, shovels, pick etc) if you have it the other way, flat grain then you end up with lots of run out grain that won't be as good when you start hitting stuff!!

Comment

Originally posted by Canotrouge View Post
                Now it’s done...
                Nice work. Very cool.

Comment

[QUOTE=Canotrouge;n101664]

Well there is lots of different thinking about that, In my experience, rift or quarter sawn/vertical grain is the way to go in axe handle(and lots of other tools, hammer, shovels, pick etc) if you have it the other way, flat grain then you end up with lots of run out grain that won't be as good when you start hitting stuff!!

Thanks, that was my thinking as well. I’m a carpenter, and grain orientation is critical in some situations. Think of an Ash baseball bat when it breaks... the flying fragment can resemble a spear!

Comment

Working...
                  X