• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Composite construction Information

Reaction score
I just found this Youtube Video, that I thought was very informative on Composite construction.

This would be relevant to hull building and paddle making !

I thought I'd share !

https://youtu.be/tiS8ArzEA58

I don't build boats and have never worked with composites, but found the video interesting. Does anyone use balsa wood as a core for canoe or kayak laminations?

I don't build boats and have never worked with composites, but found the video interesting. Does anyone use balsa wood as a core for canoe or kayak laminations?

I don't know if anyone does anymore but they used to and had problems with the cores getting wet and rotting.

Alan

I don't know if anyone does anymore but they used to and had problems with the cores getting wet and rotting.

I know that the original Twin-tex Esquif Mistral oil canned horribly, and the early solution was to incorporate a balsa core, which proved susceptible to rot and decay. Eventually some honeycomb synthetic material was used to stiffen the bottom of Mistrals.

This construction technique, describes my method of reinforcing my hull bottoms with WRC instead of Balsa, or foam.

I've used 1/8" WRC inserts to stiffen the hull, instead of a much more expensive foam, or Balsa for that matter.

IMG_2654_zpseocwou9d.jpg

IMG_2682_zpsunvuefln.jpg
IMG_2989_zpsu6mbrxus.jpg
This enabled me to reduce the amount of resin and cloth to build a hull that didn't oil can badly

I've learned several things from this guy, and he provides great explanations to back up what he says ! ( Far better than I could !)

Jim

Back