• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

BWCA Arrowhead

Reaction score
One part of BWCA I've not visited is the Far East arrowhead portion. I hear it can be crowded. I want to take two trips this fall, one for walleye and one for colors. How would this area fair for one of those trips? My other destination will likely be Sylvania in the UP for car camping, with limited walleye possibilities but good colors in mid October.

The very far east section has a lot of very deep clear lakes, lots of lake trout and pike. Lake trout season closes 9/30. Pine has walleyes as does Caribou and little Caribou I believe. Massive cliffs you won't find anywhere else in the bwca.

Fish the hump on Pine for walleyes, or the drop edges on Caribou, missed a huge pike on Caribou 30+ lbs. Fat walleyes and Pike on Moon. East and West Pike are lakers - red flesh, Clearwater white flesh trout. Mountain lake has some nice cliffs- Clearwater has a huge palisade. In the fall the numbers drop off. Have a great time.

The area around Johnson falls can be a bit busy in case you’re also looking for solitude.

A couple of years ago I went to Johnson falls in February, not a soul around, other than a moose who had a bloody hoof.

The royal river is my preferred fall color paddling destination. There is good walleye fishing in the fowls. As Dan says, moon is a great walleye lake with some big pike as well. By mid sept. use will have really dropped.

Alright, I'm thinking the Arrowhead would be a fishing trip. I'm not thrilled with the long portages on the west side. A put-in at McFarland Lake (East end) would leave me paddling west on Pine Lake if I want to go to Caribou Lake, Johnson Falls. I'm ok camping on Pine a couple days to get some calm water heading West, and I'm sure that will be likely. Think that's a decent bet or would I likely be hopelessly windbound?

I'll hit Sylvania in October for colors, or somewhere else.

I've had a lot of good days on pine but you're right, the wind can kick up and get pretty nasty since it is pretty much without islands or bays.

I've only ever put in on East Bearskin to access this area. The northern portage from East Bearskin into Alder was not clear last summer but the southern one was highway-esque. The portage south of Johnson Falls between Canoe and Pine isn't scary other than length. Moon-East Bearskin is likewise but wetter. At the west end of Caribou in early July I have witnessed wayyyyy too many groups, I believe at least half of them were scouts though so they're already done for the summer.

Thanks for the fishing advice Mr. Cooke. With you as my inspiration, I will say I have had tremendous luck catching lake trout in (a lake in this area named for the clarity of it's water that is not Clearwater Lake). Nope, still won't let myself name it explicitly. There's also an old mining cabin just east of Spaulding Lake if you're into that sort of thing.

Edit: My avatar was taken on Canoe Lake in late August.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry to much about it being busy where ever you go. Sept. is way different than July or early Aug., and by late Sept there is hardly anyone around.

I would say your odds of encountering unpleasant winds on Pine are pretty high. For whatever reason I've never loved Pine, and much prefer the Pikes, but Pine does let you visit the Falls. You can get into Pine with zero portaging. In the eastern area, generally North-South portages are going to be harder, East-West easier, besides the very short N/S.

How far do you want to paddle? Clearwater-Mountain-Moose-Fowls-Royal River-John-Pikes-Clearwater is and awesome loop. Good fishing too, maybe not as good as Zac's top secret lake trout lake, but good.

Quinn

Portaging from Clearwater to Caribou is not too tough- my father did it into his 70's and my father in-law into his 80's. They did not carry canoes but carried their packs. Quinn's route is a good one- best colors in the Fowls area. Quinn is correct in the crowds are gone - now that the kids are back to school.

I just remembered something. Johnson Falls should be named "Lower Johnson Falls" and "Upper Johnson Falls". The first time I visited the falls I completely missed the upper portion and, judging by the trails, a majority of groups do likewise. If you do visit, I recommend visiting both.

Looking at my maps, I think that Clearwater Lake route would be my best ticket (thanks Dan). How's the road to that lake? My SUV isn't AWD and I'm worried someday I'll regret it!

No Worries, you can get the public landing in any type of vehicle. The Clearwater Road is a well maintained gravel road. Some blind type corners that you need to slow down and make sure you are on the side you should be on. Take it easy on the Gunflint there are a few bumps along the way. Have a great time. If you make Pine Lake and go to Johnson Falls - Go to the top so you see the multiple cascades. Huge Cedar just downstream from the lower falls on river right. I am out of here till the 24th. Time to paddle a western River.

Back