• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Okefenokee

Reaction score
I am planning the Okee part of my trip. What are your thoughts for the best entrance to access the area. I am thinking about the Suwannee entrance and paddling to Kingfisher. I like the idea of a through paddle. Also thinking about biking back to Kingfisher after the paddle. not certain of the biking mileage but thinking ~12 miles. Perhaps too adventurous.

FWIW: I am in decent shape, bike often even in winter, climb, paddle in summer, hike all over. BUT I will most likely be using a 'new-to-me' boat and will not have paddled since late October.

If you have a favorite route then please let me know. I also hear that fire destroyed a lot of the area recently. Has it recovered?

Thanks Charlie

Contact the FWS at Okefenokee and find out what is open.. Quite frankly fires are part of the ecosystem..so destroy is an incorrect word..Many routes remain clogged by blowdowns.
http://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/OkeTextSide.pdf

which Suwanee entrance? Sill or Canal?

The eastern side of the park has a lot of prairies wide open areas where the wind plays fun with your boat

The west side is far more intimate.

Oh! 2 Suwannee entrances. I was thinking the canal one. I am calling them tomorrow. I wish their website was like the western parks, they list available sites online. Much easier to plan that way.

But since you think the west side is more intimate then perhaps that is the best side to enter, Stephen Foster. If memory serves it is a lot longer drive to reach than the others.

Suwanee or Suwannee, spelling??? Georgia spells it Suwanee but the feds Suwannee. And Google agrees with Georgia.

I got a permit for Floyds to Mixons using Stephens Fosters entrance. They were only allowing 2 night stays in this time period. I wanted early in March but took what they had which wasn't much. So I will finish my trip in the Okee instead of start there. I have the permit for 3-16/18-15. Now to plan the rest of the trip.
There is still a permit for Floyds/Mixon for the 18th and permits for Kingfisher for March 2,3,4 to Maul and Big Water. A few dates in February as well.

I'm pumped!

Stephen Foster SP has a very nice camping area. The SP does not extend into Billys Lake so you will be in the Okeefenokee NWR almost from the git go. Take your time exploring to Floyds. Consider going up toward Big Water before you take the cutoff. There is a welcome restroom and picnic shelter on Minnies Lake

What boat are you taking?

Have a great trip! I've paddled those waterways and they can be lots of fun. I hope you have decent water levels or you might need to get out and push in a few places. Just look ahead for snakes or gators if you do.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

What boat are you taking?

That IS the million dollar question. I am looking into a used rental Keewaydin 15 and 16 kevlar fusion. They have been my dream boats and I ain't getting any younger so figure it is time to spend the kids inheritance:)

@Yellow: thanks for the info on Big Water and Minnies. Will take advantage of that. Restrooms, I was wondering if a Wag bag was needed. I know that the campsites have restrooms but wondered about the rest of the swamp. I hate Wag bags and groovers, use them when I have too though.

@snapper, I hear rainfall has been good this winter, we'll see. I'm hoping I don't have to exit the boat until I get to campsite.

There is a nice outhouse on Floyds. I dont recall one on Mixons . You won't be able to get out without immersion other than designated places.

My data is from March 2014. They are not writing permits for burned out /impassable sites/routes.

Last edited:
balto charlie - Just a word to the wise...check with the refuge staff to see if the interior day use stops/porta-jons have been replaced from the last fire. I did the trip from Kingfisher over to Steven Foster via Big Water and Minnie's Lake about 5 years ago and their new brochure had the platforms on the map. When we arrived at both locations neither was there. All we found were charred hulks of what had been. On the second day of our trip we weren't able to get out of the boat all day. We actually walked laps around the platform when we finally arrived just to be able to stretch our legs. I know you'll be fine at Floyd's Island but some of the other interior platforms may still be missing; regardless of what you find on the map. Better to ask and be sure before heading out so you know what to expect. If you're entering from the Suwannee Canal entrance I would suggest you speak to either Chip or Joy Campbell at "Okefenokee Adventures." Tell them Snapper sent you and I know they'll be of help; in spite of me (LOL)!

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

Good discussion. I used to paddle in Maryland as a kid and got creeped out all the time by amount of snakes in the brush and in the water. You have to like being around reptiles. Not to mention gators. Swamps have their own unique challenges.

It sounds like an interesting trip to make. However the difficulty with finding a dry spot to get out of the boats hits home. A couple of years ago we ran into a similar situation on the Colorado River. There were some long sections that had been rip-rapped by the Army Corps of Engineers. The rocks were at angle of repose and not stable at all. They were very difficult to climb on. I had a sinking feeling whenever we hit those sections. I love canoeing, but part of the pleasure is to be able to stop and get out whenever you want. Being stuck in the boat all day has little appeal and would be a deal breaker for me.

All:

Thanks for the outhouse information. I might carry a Wag bag just in case. I will ask when I arrive as to the current conditions.

Getting out of the boat- I have had similar issues on the Colorado as well. Last year there was serious rainfall in the area just before we arrived. Most of the banks had thick quick-sand like mud due to the high rainfall. Lots of great sandbars but one had to get through the mud to reach many of them. Sometimes taking a piss had to wait, and for 4 old men not a comfortable task.

Reptiles and creeps: I am really looking forward to setting up camp on the platform and listening for the sounds of the swamp.

The light is wonderful . I recommend a camera. The reflections of aquatic plants can be stunning. Look UP for birds.. If its cool you may not see gators which will be in the mud. If its warm you will see gators. They have three goals in life : to reach a temp of 82 (they are cold blooded) , to mate in March and to eat once or twice a year. Thats all.

The Green has simllar high water mud obstacles last year so we stood in the boat.

I would second YC's recommendation of bringing a camera. The amount of wildlife you'll probably see is amazing. Besides the gators, which everyone seems to want to see, there is an incredible amount of birds. Last year we had barred owls just overhead on two separate days as we paddled out of the Suwannee Canal area. We later found out there was an active nest nearby so it made a lot of sense to see them where we did. I don't know if it was two separate birds or the same one but we were able to paddle directly under each one. The photos we were able to get were amazing.

Also, YC mentioned the gators already but another heads up; it's cool and they're not very active be on the lookout for otters. The few times I've seen otters in the swamp were when the gators were inactive. They're great to see but be ready with your camera because they are incredibly quick.

That's all for now. Have a great trip and until next time...Be well.

snapper

Back