• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Florida PaddlingTrails

Reaction score
This is an astonishingly well designed and informative website especially for a state agency. Maps, campsite descriptions.. Good for reference for anyone who wants to paddle the Real Florida.
Florida is an incredibly paddler friendly state.

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/guide/paddle.htm

Looking to "do" Big Bend. Click on each river or route to delve wayy deeper.

Missing some of my favorites in central Florida. I am being selfish but that just might be a good thing. Starting to run out of great weather and trees are starting to lose their leafs. Even so come on down. Our water will soon be a whole lot less solid than the water up north. Need to dig out some more sites for paddling routes in Florida to post here.

Some great information here, thanks. I am planning a trip to this area this spring. I haven't been there in over 10 years and really looking forward to it.

A few questions:

Clear springs area, what do you think is the best time to paddle there? In the past I have been there in April and March. What about February?? I am thinking May is a bit late...BUGS.
Okefenokee : Are reservations difficult to get to stay in the swamp on the wooden platforms? Any thoughts on the platforms, I have never spent a night on one? I wonder if I might get restless.

What size boat do you locals recommend? I have a huge 18" OT tripper. Love the boat but in the past I was banging most bends. I think a 16 " is in order, thoughts. Trying to justify a new(to me ) canoe purchase.

Thanks, Charlie

I can't speak to Florida very much but you mentioned the Okefenokee so I figured I'd chime in. If you haven't done an overnight there before, you can't "apply" for a permit earlier than 60 days before you want to enter. Your application is done over the phone and the process goes only from 7-10 AM, Monday through Friday. All calls are taken on a first come, first serve basis so I'd recommend you have a phone with a "redial" feature so you don't have to keep dialing when you receive that dreaded busy signal.

For what it's worth, I've been doing trips for about 20 years now and over the years it seems to have become easier to get an overnight permit. I don't know if the number of requests is down or what but we've been able to get a permit every year but one. The two most popular months for overnights are March & April. For that reason your overnight trip will be kept at no more than 2 nights; one night trips are very frequent as well. Other times of the year it's my understanding that you can actually get overnight permits that will allow for trips up to 7 days in length. I think once you get into May you'll begin dealing with a lot of flying critters that could make your trip uncomfortable. Add the unpredictability of afternoon thunderstorms throughout the summer and the next "best" time to do an overnight trip is in September & October.

No matter when you go, there are only about 6 overnight locations available in the swamp (this changes from time to time due to fires in the interior) so if you get a permit, you'll be one of a small group enjoying the swamp overnight. Most of the interior sites are platforms but some are also land based. The platforms definitely limit your "walk around" room but the only two land based sites that allow for any real walking are Craven's Hammock and Floyd's Island (where you'll also find an old hunting cabin that you can use if you're there).

While getting a permit might seem a bit daunting at first, I'd definitely recommend that you go for it. The swamp is a magical place and being there overnight opens up a whole new world. Sitting on your platform, surrounded by water and wildlife is a wonderful experience. Add a full moon and some rumbling gators and it's absolutely enchanting.

If you have any questions you think I can answer, please feel free to PM me directly. You should also check out both the Okefenokee NWR website and the site for Okefenokee Adventures; the business permitted by the NWR to outfit and guide trips. Chip & Joy Campbell, owners of Okefenokee Adventures, are a wealth of knowledge and truly gracious people. They'll be more than willing to assist you in getting your trip off the ground whether you rent from them or use your own canoe equipment.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well

snapper

PS - One last thing, if you decide to paddle in the Okefenokee I'd not go with a canoe longer than 16' or so. Some of the interior water passages are pretty narrow and anything longer will be difficult to horse around back there.

Well if will could make us well I'd be all for it. I got time out for bad behavior. The day before I found out I had the most aggressive form of uterine cancer. Not till December would I know what its stage was.

I have been very happy reading,as it requires less effort. Turns out its early stage but the treatment is the same. If its an ant, hit it with a wrecking ball. There is such a thing as chemo brain! 25 minutes to write this..

Now as to specifics. As there are two Floridas... one north of Tampa and one south, there are seasons. North of Tampa it can get cold and January brings at least one round of sub freezing temps. I have paddled the springs in Feb, March and April and did not meet Bugs. May I don't want to mess with.
Snapper mentioned an old hunting cabin on Floyds Island.. I stayed there at the end of March. It's well maintained but as I thought I might be sharing with mice, I pitched my tent inside

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps23accf8b.jpg

Early morning light

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps29ece948.jpg

Almost as important as the length of the boat is the width of the boat. The channel down to Floyds was very narrow..about four feet wide. I was glad I had a canoe that was less than two and a half feet..because there sunning on a log was a big gator.. I still could have petted his nose. That was the only time I have been terrified by a gator as he had no escape other than joining me.

50 min.. Time for a nap I did something wrong and the pix arent showing up. Maybe later I will try and fix

Last edited:
May is very bad in Florida for yellow flies, the southern form of the deer fly. It's tolerable, but April is preferable for that reason alone.

I was in Florida for almost four weeks in November and early December, but only paddled three days. It was too cold and I got the worst cold of my life. It took me three weeks to shake it. But I had a nice time visiting family and friends from Tallahassee to Naples--as well as in North Carolina and Maryland--and I got to attend six women's college basketball games on journalist credentials. Also a 40th reunion.

November is too dark too early in Florida. There isn't much to do when you're all alone in a van and it's black at 5 pm. Never again. I like September, October, April and early May.

The Silver River has a new (to me) state canoe launch at the head spring, which is free if you are camping at Silver Springs State Park. It's nice, but I prefer to go upstream first, so the next time I'll go back to putting in at Rays Wayside Park. No monkeys were around.

I did the Ocklawaha from Rays Wayside to Gore's Landing and was feeling very tired. I think it was the beginning of the cold.

Juniper Springs, which is on my top 10 list of favorite places to paddle, was much lower than I've ever seen it. The water prairie near the end was very disappointing. The aquifers must be low.

Because of the illness, I skipped my trip to the Orlando area, where I was going to do Rock Springs Run, the Wekiva, the Blackwater and Shingle Creek.

I prefer the river runs in Florida to the salt water paddling or Everglades, but the whole place is a paddling paradise.

Wow, lots of great info. Thanks
@Yellow: Sorry to hear about your cancer. Been there, really sucks. My thoughts are with you.
@snapper and Yellow: Great Okie info. The pictures of the cabin are great. Looks like time to search for a smaller boat as my OT tripper(18') is huge for this situation. From your info I am thinking early to mid march is the best time. Before Easter break and days will be getting longer and the bugs are minimal. I hope to call them today to see what is available as it is in the 60 day range.
@Glen: Shame about your cold. I also had a nasty bout with it in early December. Clear Springs I have some experience. I have paddled Juniper, Silver(saw the monkeys), Wekiva, Rainbow and a few others. Looking forward to some new ones.

FWIW: I usually run shuttle with a bike lock at one end. I leave the boat and wife then ride the bike back to the car or after leaving the car ride back to the wife and gear. This year the wife is working and I will most likely be traveling alone. I am going to have to figure this out.

Thanks folks, any more clear springs info, please send.

Rock Springs has a shuttle service

http://kingslandingfl.com/

Blackwater is just gorgeous but it requires advance planning. (There is very little current so paddling upstream is no issue at all. )

You have to avoid the hunting dates

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Div...s/State-Forests/Seminole-State-Forest#contact

http://www.tidewater-florida.com/state-forests/seminole-state-forest.htm

I would just call the office.. the website goes round and round. My friend who is a volunteer ranger at Wekiva gave me an email address that I lost. IIRC I did everything ahead via email but it had to go to a specific person.. Needless to say with this hoop to jump through almost no one but those in the know paddle the Blackwater. So there will be no crowds
My friend said that going upstream from the Sand Road Launch there used to be lots of blowdown but someone went in and cleared it. Even so take a small folding saw that will handle six in dia wood.

I will most likely be traveling alone. I am going to have to figure this out.

I've been paddling alone in Florida for 25 years. The way I do it boils down to four strategies:

1. Pick paddling places where you can paddle out and back to the put-in. You can do this on all the spring runs and most of the rivers. Of course, you can do it on the oceans, lakes and in spots on the fringes of the Everglades.

2. Pay for a shuttle. Many of the rivers and springs have nearby commercial outfitters who shuttle. This costs. I've also had campground hosts shuttle me for a very modest privately negotiated fee.

3. Hook up with an active paddling group. There are many in Florida that list their trips, which you can join. From them, you can meet paddlers who will do bootleg trips you outside the club. Check out the Marion County Aquaholics on Facebook. Join Meetup paddling groups in Florida. Meetup groups all email you their trips. This one out of Orlando is very active:
http://www.meetup.com/adventuresinflorida/

4. Chat up paddlers you see on the river or campground. They are often willing to paddle with you or just shuttle you. That's what I did for both the Ocklawaha and Juniper this last time. I usually try this when I see a fellow old guy paddler. Sometimes young kayakers take pity on a lone old man, especially when they've never seen an open canoe except in history books.

As for places to paddle, there are numerous Florida paddling guidebooks on the market. I have about six of them. Those, plus a DeLorme Florida Gazetteer, have gotten me everywhere. There are internet sites that list Florida paddling spots run by both the State of Florida and private paddlers. Yellowcanoe listed one in the OP. Maybe she has the link to Jack L's website.

https://sites.google.com/site/flkeyskayaktrips/

I also like Wacissa for either a long one way trip or a shorter 6 mile out and back where all the springs are

Caveat.. no no on the Weeki Wachee on a weekend or spring break starting the third week of March.. There are hordes of non paddlers out of control that are launched by an outfitter and scooped up downstream

To answer your question about length. In narrow spring runs and creeks 16 foot for a solo is pushing it. A Northstar 16.5 as a tandem is for experienced only. Madriver Explorer and Mohawk Blazers are very at home on the narrow streams for a tandem but useless as a solo. 14 solo boats rule for the twisty stuff down here. Unless you are in a river or a swamp you will need to be nimble

One interesting place near Juniper springs and Silver river is 52 landing on Alaxander spring run. Go down stream not back toward the spring head. Long dirt road in the middle of noware ending at the creek. Go down stream to the St Johns then back up. Mild current most of the time. In the spring if you hit the timing/weather just right there can be hundreds on swamp lily's blooming at the same time here.

Lots of rain this winter after a very wet summer and winter last year. Just rained the use normal rain fall for the whole month the other day. In one day. Winter is supposed to be our dry season. So high water in most areas. You should be able to get back into some places that normaly would be to shallow.

Last edited:
@ Yellow, you truly are a wealth of Florida canoe knowledge, thanks. Blackwater sounds intriguing, as does Wacissa. I always love new rivers. I will look them over. I promise no Weeki Watchee. Thanks for the links as well! It will be fun to

@Glen: Thanks, got the Delorme Gazatteer. I have quite of few of them for other states as well. I love to look them over. I am a dinosaur, no GPS just paper and compass. What Florida guide book would you suggest? Good suggestions for shuttles. I have(in the past) asked other paddlers, hitchhiked, and biked. I even carried my bike in the canoe once. This has a funny story as the eastern shores trees reached into my canoe to remove my front wheel. This happened on a frosty February morning. More to the story, will have to wait for a campfire a a few beers:)

I just heard from my brother and he is thinking about joining me for part of the trip. So solo shuttles might not be that important. I will bring my bike regardless.

@cflcanoe: thanks This post concerns me. Obviously my Tripper is too big. I have used it in Florida before and did fair. I did bang into a lot of banks. I was thinking about a 16 ft Swift Keewaydin. I know it is pricey but I ain't getting any stronger and it is very light. Plus I will buy used. It will be paddled by either 1 or 2 paddlers. Another option was going to be a OT Penobscot 16ft, ABS. It seems to be a good all around boat for most situation, affordable but getting difficult to find. Would you consider the Mohawk Explorer is similar to the Penobscot? What 14 solo would you recommend?
FWIW: I am a decent paddler but my brother sucks.
Alexander Springs sounds familiar, will check out. Rainfall sounds good.

Thanks YellowC. You certainly know a lot about Florida especially considering you are from Maine. Do you live there in the winter?

Will check out the books.

No I live in Maine in the winter and make one or two three week forays south. Chemo has me stuck in the snow this year. There used to be a Florida FreeStyle Symposium that lasted three days. That hardly justified six days round trip of travel so the exploration started

No I live in Maine in the winter and make one or two three week forays south. Chemo has me stuck in the snow this year. There used to be a Florida FreeStyle Symposium that lasted three days. That hardly justified six days round trip of travel so the exploration started

6 days RT!!! I can make the Green River in Utah in 3 days. I think mid-Florida is about 12-15 hrs from here. Hang in there with the chemo.

Its three days one way with a slight detour to visit a canoe builder in SC. I know it closer for us to get to Labrador but canoeing there in the winter lacks appeal
Well be going to Newoundland this summer . Its two days.

Back