• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

Virginia/ TN/ WV/NC off season dispersed camping paddling?

Reaction score
I live in Virginia, in the Shenandoah Valley. I've made many trips to Lake Moomaw, which I love. So, I need help with a possible destination (flat water) where I can camp and paddle.
I'm chomping at the bit to do a canoe/ dispersed camping trip in other water bodies this month, as I have some time off. I'm looking at lakes only due to colder temps and outfitters being closed. The issue I'm running into is..even if there is national forest surrounding a water body for dispersed camping, the parking and facilities etc are state or game and inland fisheries owned, and offices are not as available for comment in the off season.
As an example, the pay kiosk says $10 per night to camp where I did last weekend... but there are no pay envelopes. Also no game wardens or other staff on duty. Should I just assume that I'm good to go in this case? Parking signs in the dead of winter... not sure if they carry any meaning whatsoever when there is no money to be made this time of year?
I know I can for the lake I frequent near me, but I'm looking at possibly WV/TN/ WV for my time off and I don't want to just assume it'll be the same there.

West TN. so it may be a bit of a drive for you. All you need is a backcountry permit to camp anywhere except improved campgrounds. Access to both Kentucky lake and lake Barkley.

Ten years ago, I decided I should paddle/camp every full moon of the year. I ended up doing it 14 full moons in a row. During the winter months, the camping options become limited because most parks close. So, I understand your challenge in finding off-season venues.

We don't have much BLM land in Maryland, so there are limited opportunities for legal, dispersed camping. I've dispersed-camped on NC's Lumber River and Wacama River, though possibly we were commando camping at some sites. One evening we set up camp and later figured out we were on a privately-owned, hunting property. It being winter, we decided to build a fire, that we'd keep small to avoid attracting attention to ourselves. That was the night we learned about heart of pine--wood that burned like it had gas poured on it. The flames were five feet high, making us very nervous. But nobody came to kick us out, so all ended well.

Not dispersed camping, but at least kind-of-backcountry, can be enjoyed at Assateague National Seashore, False Cape State Park, and the Jersey Pine Barrens (Wharton State Forest). Also, the Potomac, utilizing the hiker-biker sites along the C&O Canal, can work. Roanoke River platform camping is definitely not dispersed camping, but is a worthwhile destination. All of these have designated sites and discourage dispersed camping. The closest to dispersed camping might be the Potomac, where you can find islands that are campable. The Pine Barrens are out of your target area, but still worth consideration because there is almost always water and the rivers rarely freeze.

Dispersed camping is allowed at Mockhorn Island. The problem there is finding a spot dry enough to camp. The most reliable spot is near the ruins of the hunting lodge on the southern end of the island, where you camp among dilapidated, early 20th century structures. Also, there are a few spots near the abandoned watch towers. Despite the obvious presence of past occupation, it is one of the more remote spots--you'll be by yourself and no rangers will be coming by to check on you. An Atlantic barrier island at the tip of the DelMarVa Peninsula, Mockhorn is subject to windy weather, with few places to hide from the wind. Cattle farming on Mockhorn failed because the cattle spent most of the time standing in water up to their necks, to avoid biting flies, and so failed to gain weight. I mention that because like most barrier islands in the area, I consider it a winter-only trip--too buggy during warm weather.

Ten years ago, I decided I should paddle/camp every full moon of the year. I ended up doing it 14 full moons in a row. During the winter months, the camping options become limited because most parks close.

I may have run into you that winter, or some other winter.

We don't have much BLM land in Maryland

Other than some BLM offices are there any BLM Lands in Maryland?

That was the night we learned about heart of pine--wood that burned like it had gas poured on it. The flames were five feet high, making us very nervous. But nobody came to kick us out, so all ended well.

If that site was just after the SC border the area is owned by some SC Hertiage Foundation that allows primitive canoe camping. We found some heart-of-pine stumps left from a long-ago forest fire 100 yards from a high ground conifer campsite. Sawing them off was akin to cutting through amber, but gawd that resin did burn.

Not dispersed camping, but at least kind-of-backcountry, can be enjoyed at Assateague National Seashore, False Cape State Park,

For easy paddle-in “backcountry” sites in the “off-season” Hammocks Beach State Park is hard to beat

https://www.ncparks.gov/hammocks-beach-state-park/home

Or for the delights of an easy cypress swamp camper, the Merchants Millpond SP paddle in sites

https://www.ncparks.gov/merchants-millpond-state-park/home

A couple miles marked trail paddle in to either. Both are special places.

Last edited:
I may have run into you that winter, or some other winter.

Other than some BLM offices are there any BLM Lands in Maryland?

If that site was just after the SC border the area is owned by some SC Hertiage Foundation that allows primitive canoe camping. We found some heart-of-pine stumps left from a long-ago forest fire 100 yards from a high ground conifer campsite. Sawing them off was akin to cutting through amber, but gawd that resin did burn.

For easy paddle-in “backcountry” sites in the “off-season” Hammocks Beach State Park is hard to beat

https://www.ncparks.gov/hammocks-beach-state-park/home

Or for the delights of an easy cypress swamp camper, the Merchants Millpond SP paddle in sites

https://www.ncparks.gov/merchants-millpond-state-park/home

A couple miles marked trail paddle in to either. Both are special places.

Merchant's looks like a winner, and less than 4 hours away. I think I'll take a trip there after christmas!

Merchant's looks like a winner, and less than 4 hours away. I think I'll take a trip there after christmas!

Merchants Millpond SP is a special paddle-in venue. Guide book listed or Googled it is often described as a “Gem of the highest magnitude” or a “Treasure”. It’s hard to take a bad cypress swamp photo at Merchants.

If you look at the canoe-in campsite may you’ll see that three of the sites (1, 2 and 3) are near the water.

https://files.nc.gov/ncparks/maps-and-brochures/merchants-millpond-canoe-campground.pdf

The rest of the sites (4 – 10) are well away from the water, the higher numbers up a surprisingly steep hill. Of the three waterfront sites #1 is mere yards away from the primary landing, so located where other campers may be landing and carrying gear. Site #3 is up on a little bluff with water views, but the only place to land a boat is back at #1.

Site #2 is the most private, at the dead end of a short trail, and best of all you can land your boat directly in front of the site.

Merchants is also about as far north as possible in NC, so maybe cold. But even in a warmish “Indian summer” stretch of post-Christmas weather there would probably be few people camped on the individual paddle-in sites.

Save a day for a exploring the edges of the millpond and up into the feeder stream through Lassiter Swamp. Lassiter has some high ground beech hummocks and hills amenable for a leg stretcher explore afoot.

Something new at Merchants Millpond; there are now three high ground campsites and three platform campsites along Bennett’s Creek. I need to go back this spring.

https://files.nc.gov/ncparks/maps-and-brochures/merchants-millpond-bennetts-group.pdf

Springtime at Merchants, when the frogs are breeding, is a peculiar experience. The various tree frogs, Carpenter frogs, Cricket frogs and giant Bullfrogs all start calling sequentially, building to a Spring cacophony that is amazing. Amazingly loud; bring ear plugs if you turn in just after dark.

One caveat; if you are snake-phobic do not visit in season when the millpond water levels are high; every single Cypress knob and stump will have a water moccasin curled atop.

Merchants Millpond, and another favorite, coastal barrier island Hammocks Beach SP, are no shuttle-needed, with short, buoy marked paddle-in trails. Both are wonderful venues worth a visit.

I was thinking of going off season. Would the alligators be in force at this time of year?

I was thinking of going off season. Would the alligators be in force at this time of year?

In force? You should be so lucky as to see even one in the warmer months.

I occasionally spent time socially, 100 miles off-site, with the now retired Chief Ranger who had run Merchants for 30 years and still lives locally. Last I heard from him there were something like 3 – 5 alligators total at Merchants Mill Pond. In a half dozen exploration trips there I have seen a gator twice, both times a little 3 footer that I’d have wrestled on a dare with a six pack reward.

Merchants Millpond is along the northern-most extent of their range. To wit:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/FAQ_Answ...and_is_it.html

In-season, at high water levels, the cottonmouths are a dime a dozen sunning on cypress hummocks, but, like the gators, if you don’t bother them . . . . .

The Ebola-infected Zombie Frogs creeping into your unzipped tent at night are another story ;-)

Seriously, Merchants Millpond is a special place. If you get a couple/three day stretch of warmish weather after Christmas, give it a shot. I believe the paddle-in sites are still reservable.

And, keep an eye on the Swansboro NC forecast this spring for temps and (especially) NC coastal wind direction & speed, and tide predictions. Give the paddle-in camping on Bear Island at Hammocks Beach SP a shot if you get a chance.

Hammocks Beach is another special place, whether camped directly behind the towering dunes on the Atlantic edge of Bear Island, or ensconced more wind-protected at (my favorite) Site #12, in a sheltering grotto of Live Oak, full of bird life along the paddle-in route.

Trip reports and photos if you please.

Last edited:
In force? You should be so lucky as to see even one in the warmer months.

I occasionally spent time socially, 100 miles off-site, with the now retired Chief Ranger who had run Merchants for 30 years and still lives locally. Last I heard from him there were something like 3 – 5 alligators total at Merchants Mill Pond. In a half dozen exploration trips there I have seen a gator twice, both times a little 3 footer that I’d have wrestled on a dare with a six pack reward.

Merchants Millpond is along the northern-most extent of their range. To wit:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/FAQ_Answ...and_is_it.html

In-season, at high water levels, the cottonmouths are a dime a dozen sunning on cypress hummocks, but, like the gators, if you don’t bother them . . . . .

The Ebola-infected Zombie Frogs creeping into your unzipped tent at night are another story ;-)

Seriously, Merchants Millpond is a special place. If you get a couple/three day stretch of warmish weather after Christmas, give it a shot. I believe the paddle-in sites are still reservable.

And, keep an eye on the Swansboro NC forecast this spring for temps and (especially) NC coastal wind direction & speed, and tide predictions. Give the paddle-in camping on Bear Island at Hammocks Beach SP a shot if you get a chance.

Hammocks Beach is another special place, whether camped directly behind the towering dunes on the Atlantic edge of Bear Island, or ensconced more wind-protected at (my favorite) Site #12, in a sheltering grotto of Live Oak, full of bird life along the paddle-in route.

Trip reports and photos if you please.

Ohhh I totally forgot it's a state park. I'll check and see if it's reservable. Thanks!

I believe Pipestem SP WV is open year round. You can paddle the New river, Bluestone river and Bluestone lake all within 15 minutes.

Back