• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Looking for an easy Temagami week

Reaction score
I'm hunkered down with Hap Wilson's book on Temagami, trying to decide on a week of paddling with family and friends next summer. Want to see some pictographs. Are there Must-See spots? Obabika Lake seems to come up a lot. I'm thinking about Route 6; Diamond, Wakimiki and Obabika Lake Loop. Or maybe 13; Anima Nipissing, Montreal River Loop. Any recommendations?

Its been a few years ( maybe ten) since I was up that way. Anima Nipissing is cottaged and there are some on Lady Evelyn but the eskers on Lady Evelyn are quite interesting. There is a road to Red Squirrel Lake and a kids camp so there will be lots of activity on 13. at least at the start.

I liked Diamond and Obbabika quite well
PS there are lots of folks on Lake Temagami. It may or may not interest you to find houseboats camped in coves and quite a few cottages.

1) The Temagami-Diamond-Wakimika-Obabika-Temagami route is popular because it's got everything: short, not-too-demanding portages, fishing, a mix of provincial park BC sites and crown land, pictographs, and stands of old-growth forest making for a wonderful 4-7 day loop. 2) The Chiniguchi watershed starting where the Matagamasi Rd. reaches Matagamasi Lake at the southwest edge of Temagami region (1 hour northeast of Sudbury) also offers many of the above attractions, plus lots of white quartzite. Many 4-7 day routes and side-trips are possible from there. You will likely be very happy with either area, though you won't be alone at either destination during the months of July and August.

Wish I could help you Hal, but you've probably seen more of Temagami than I have. I too have been hunkered down with Hap Wilson's book, and a few others. All those routes look promising, though I don't know exactly what an easy week might look like to your eyes. Despite the cottage/fishing crowds on the main (rumble) lakes (I've never actually seen crowds) I am interested in Anima Nipissing. I have small easy plans for that which don't include the Montreal river. And I'm interested in the hiking trails in the Wakimika Triangle. Another area which could invite a slow easy tripping approach. Muskego and Sugar lakes are less easy but look rewarding too.
Check out Ottertooth and browse for some excellent info. http://ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/maps-interactive.htm
Looking forward to your trip report. Best wishes for an easy week with friends and family.

Back