• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

What are you reading?

Reaction score
What is everybody reading?

I just finished reading/ looking at "In the Footsteps of Grey Owl : Journey Into the Ancient Forest" by Gary McGuffin, Joanie McGuffin. I must say not what I had imagined but inspiring and great photos.

I just received "Lands Serene" by Peter Kazaks.

Re: What are you reading?

Mine is a little different from yours. The Ultimate Hang: An Illustrated Guide To Hammock Camping by Derek Hansen. Ordered a lot of my Christmas presents from Amazon so I took the opportunity to order a couple things for myself. Guess that everything could be found on the Hammock Forums but is nice to be able to see it pretty much of all the latest and greatest in the world of hanging in one spot.

Still think that I need to get me one of those Warbonnet Blackbird Hammocks.

[quote author=KevinL link=topic=134.msg315#msg315 date=1323913707]
Mine is a little different from yours[/quote]

Thats alright. I find it interesting to see what else I might be interested in.

[quote author=yellowcanoe link=topic=134.msg316#msg316 date=1323926719]
Woods and Lakes of Maine
http://books.google.com/ebooks?id=6-0tAAAAYAAJ

Written in the late 1800's it still holds pertinent information for today . Some of the places are exactly as I found them last June and some have changed.
[/quote]

It is now in my collection. Thanks.

A Paddler's Guide To Algonquin Park. Kevin Callan

Canoeing Algonquin Park. Donald L. Lloyd.

I particularly liked the Lloyd book.

Hey Willis--reading books like that will lead to a canoe trip.
So what's on your "tripping radar" in Algonquin.
I can't decide between a first trip to Algonquin, a return to Killarney or Massasauga/Georgian Bay.
Too many nice ponds to paddle up there!
Scott

Hey Willis--reading books like that will lead to a canoe trip.
So what's on your "tripping radar" in Algonquin.
I can't decide between a first trip to Algonquin, a return to Killarney or Massasauga/Georgian Bay.
Too many nice ponds to paddle up there!
Scott

My friend, Harry, and I are looking at the northwest corner of Algonquin, entering at gate 1. He has been up there before. He wants to do October. My availability is mid August. We'll see if we can work it out.

Reading a couple historical tomes about Lake Powell as I finalize my May trip plans there. I'll be spending 10 days or so exploring canyons and ruins. Looking forward to the trip as I've not been down there for several years now.

I just picked up (from the library) the first 4 books of "The Walking Dead"...I know, I know, it's a comic book---excuse me, ahem, graphic novel.
I enjoyed the AMC series so much that I couldn't wait until next year. So far, most of the stories are similar, with the AMC series actually a bit better! But the executive producer for the series is also the creator and writer of the graphic novel. So the series ends up being an expansion of the original story. Both are an interesting study in morality after the destruction of society as we know it.

I also recently finished "The Invisible Thread", a first person account of the 30 year friendship between an older, successful woman and an inner city youth.

About all i'm reading these days is stuff for my military history masters... finally down to just 2 courses, one on the Balkans, and one on the Caucasus. Currently reading "waging modern war" by general wesley clark. I graduate in December, so then i can get back to the outdoor stuff... my wife's been buying me some of the old classis stuff. last one was "The Forest" by Stewart Edward White. quaint, with some good woodcraft skills.

I recently read "Canadian Wilds" by Martin Hunter. I got it from the magazine Fur, Fish and Game. It was written before 1935 I think and tells of the authors experience working for the Hudson Bay Company, Northern Indians and their mode of hunting, trapping etc around the turn of the century.
It's a small book in size, maybe 4" x 6", 277 pages with lots of short stories, it is the only book I would ever take on a canoe trip, if I started taking books.
Chapter XVI-Things to Avoid-Winter: Never leave your ax outside all night. Intense cold makes it exceedingly brittle.....
Summer:If you are a lone hunter, never travel without an extra paddle...
Never push on and camp on the border of a small stagnant lake, merely to add a little length to your day's travel. Better to camp this side and have better water for cooking purposes.

OK, a lot of the book is outdated, but it's very interesting and thought provoking about being out on the trail. Many of his ideas can be applied to todays modern tripper.
Some of his comments about Indians are also outdated and need to be taken for what they are and when they where written.

"Reading the River" by John Hildebrand. Its a tale about canoeing down the Yukon River and also some of the history. The river is canoed by lots of people but we have not done it before so are quite looking forward to a five hundred mile journey down it starting in 36 days.

"Reading the River" by John Hildebrand. Its a tale about canoeing down the Yukon River and also some of the history. The river is canoed by lots of people but we have not done it before so are quite looking forward to a five hundred mile journey down it starting in 36 days.

How long will it take? Will it be just you and hubby?

I by accident found Hanna Reitsch's The Sky is my Kingdom. Very interesting although for political reasons much is glossed over. Although it's true the victor writes the histories, I find the stories of the vanquished very compelling. Working my way through two primers introducing gliding skills. It's useful if irrational to always have hopes, my new hope is when I win the lotto is to go to a gliding school, probably in the S.W. Wouldn't that be a dandy way to pass the winter! Of course with the lotto winnings I could buy any of the sleek modern ships (carbon this and that) but my heart is currently fixed on a Kirby Kite (1930s). I'm making a model of it, wing span aprox. 9 ft. You may think "what the heck this is a canoe site!" but I would suggest that many of the things we love about our canoes would be found in a sailplane as well. Right down to the love of the wood and canvas vs. modern materials.
Best Wishes, Rob

P.S. If you only saw the movies, the three books about the girl with the dragon tatoo are very well written and worth the read!

not much new "outdoor" reading... mostly school stuff. just finished a course on the middle east. the best book of the lot was "What Went Wrong" by Bernard Lewis". Now i'm working on the Balkans. Best one so far is "Balkan Ghosts" by a guy named Kaplan. It's mostly a travel book, but he brings a lot of issues to light. (after this, i get to do the Caucasus! yeah!)

Back