No announcement yet.

Dogs in Tents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good to see this thread spring back to life! Since posting, I took my pup with me on a trip and he was a champ in the tent. He slept on a bog bed with his back up against my air mattress and sneaking his head up on it. I opened up my sleeping bag like a quilt and spread it over us. He was totally content and so was I.

Comment

My dog goes everywhere a female Border Collie. She sleeps on my bed at home and I take naps with her. She sleeps in the tent, under the tarp and lying next to me in the open. She is in charge of camp security at night and is my first line of defense.
      Forester

Comment

ppine.......
        Nice to know someone else here has a Border Collie best friend. I have a male, Forrest, from Kinnic Creek Kennels near River Falls, WI. I have had a female Border Collies for companions since I was in the fourth grade. The males do not seem as smart as females, which maybe true of all species. Fun to look at the pictures, others post of their canoe dogs, some people tell me that after awhile dogs and their owners begin to look and act alike so, you must be a smart, good looking guy. Nothing beats a Border Collie, they are just like a black and white hockey puck, always on the move, always ready for a new adventure. Most people are not active enough to have a BC for a best friend. When BC's become bored they find a activity that might be destructive, like herding cars. All of mine really liked to keep a eye on the red squirrel population. A couple were great Ruffed Grouse hunters, grouse would hop up on a branch keeping a wary on the dog that was laying on the ground staring at it. The bird would concentrate on the dog, unaware of me approaching with my trusty .22 rifle. The Border Collies I have had liked tent life, they took to canoeing as eagerly as they did to going for a ride in the truck.
        "All I had were a few flies tucked into the band of my hat and an a old beaten-up Heddon rod, that had been on many trips." Sigurd F. Olson

Comment

I have had herding dogs for over 50 years. This is my third BC all females. Ruby Begonia is the best dog I have ever had. I play games with her and giver her exercise. She grew up in the outdoors and is ready for everything. It is hard to describe how much she means to me. She goes everywhere.
          Forester

Comment

This topic reminds me of a man and his springer spaniel I ran into on the osswagochie. He used a small bivi tent and the dog slept under the pourch fly. The night before, something was around the camp (he assumed a bear) and his dog wormed his way under the tent and under him and shook all night! When he flipped his canoe over in the morning, his dog jumped in before he had time to drag it to the water.

Comment

I have had my dogs chase bears out of camp plenty of times, especially on the Klamath River near the coast in CA, and in OR.
              They are braver if there are at least two. When there are 3 they are fearless.
              Forester

Comment

I had a girlfriend once (well, actually more than once) who had a Border Collie. As predicted on this thread, “Puppy” was a fantastic dog. The girlfriend eventually also got an Afghan. “Gemini” was an elegant dog, but a bit on the high-strung side. Don’t know if that’s true for the breed or not. Anyway, if I had to choose, give me the Border Collie.

Comment

Originally posted by PaddlingPitt View Post
                  I had a girlfriend once (well, actually more than once) who had a Border Collie. As predicted on this thread, “Puppy” was a fantastic dog. The girlfriend eventually also got an Afghan. “Gemini” was an elegant dog, but a bit on the high-strung side. Don’t know if that’s true for the breed or not. Anyway, if I had to choose, give me the Border Collie.
                  Over the girlfriend or over the Afghan? Or over both?

Comment

Originally posted by alsg View Post

Over the girlfriend or over the Afghan? Or over both?
                    I sense that there’s a correct answer here.

Comment

Working...
                    X