• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Tarp for Hennessey Hammock?

G

Like we do not have enough tarps already. But we need one more. I know I could ask this on the Hammock Forums, but expect I would be overwhelmed with confusion.

The OEM rain fly tarp on my sons Hennessy Hammock is undersized in any blowing rain. Years ago I bought a Sportsmans Guide tarp to use over that hammock, but in the desired orientation with ridgeline it is wayyy too long.

I would like to replace it with a tarp properly sized for his hammock (Hennessey UL Classic), but I dont know nuffin bout no hammocks. I do know something about tarps and how I prefer them hung.

Suspended a ridgeline with prussics and clips, so a tarp with ridgeline loops.
For hammock coverage set up as a <>, with a ridgeline and two corner guy lines.
The hammock body is 10 feet long, so. . . . .how long? Is 12 feet enough? Maybe 14 feet? Not 16 feet corner to corner, that has proven too long

A catenary cut tarp would be nice, but I am not looking to break the bank; a flat tarp in coated nylon or coated polyester would work fine.

Suggestions?

11 foot ridgeline is pretty common, 12 is an option and 13, which is what I just ordered, is pretty rare unless you are considering winter hammocking. I haven't found one of the hammocking cottage manufacturers who make a 14 but I am sure one would custom make one. I have a bridge hammock and the apex of the suspension extends out of a 11 foot tarp which is one reason I went with a 13.

My silnylon tarp for my clark hammock is small and good in the wind. I think they sell them separately. Good people.

11 foot ridgeline is pretty common, 12 is an option and 13, which is what I just ordered, is pretty rare unless you are considering winter hammocking. I haven't found one of the hammocking cottage manufacturers who make a 14 but I am sure one would custom make one. I have a bridge hammock and the apex of the suspension extends out of a 11 foot tarp which is one reason I went with a 13.

Thanks, those dimensions helped. I am pondering some inexpensive options, one of which ,I think, is simply another Noahs tarp.

A 9 x 9 Noah has a diagonal corner to corner distance of 12.5 feet, and has ridgeline loops in that orientation.

Yeah, his auxiliary fly would likely be as large and heavy as the entire UL Hennessy. Which itself is gonna get bulkier when I replace some snaggle-prone ultra thin black guy lines with less tangly Glowire.

The only reason he has a UL Backpacker Hennessey was a too-good-to-pass-up sale price. He backpacks a bit, usually with a partner and a 2-person UL tent, and is about 50/50 solo tent or hammock on family trips, less so on car campers where some parks do not allow hammocks suspended from trees.

A small ridgelined tarp to augment the tent might be handy for him at times, solo or with a companion.

If he gets into ultra-light backpacking he can buy his own custom tarp (and under quilt, hammock specific sleeping bag/pad, Dutchware doohickies and all that other UL hammockey stuff). Or just take the undersized OEM 30-denier Sil-nylon Hennessey fly and hope it does not rain hard too sideways.

I may be talking myself into a Noahs Tarp 9 for his purposes, but I am still looking. It is a shame no one makes a smaller parawing at a reasonable price.

Noah 9 is too small, if you go diagonal there is no real coverage at the ends and wind will still blow in rain. I use a Noah 10 someone's but usually use a noah 12.

Noah 9 is too small, if you go diagonal there is no real coverage at the ends and wind will still blow in rain. I use a Noah 10 someone's but usually use a noah 12.

If my math is correct, no guarantees there, a 10 x 10 Noahs tarp would be 14 feet along the diagonal corners. That might be our length limit in some situations. 16 feet along that axis has proven too long too many times, with one corner of the tarp ending up wrapped around a tree. Hopefully not a sappy pine.

I see 9, 12, 16 and 20 footers Noahs tarps on the Kelty site:

https://www.kelty.com/noahs-tarp/

The next size up, a 12 x 12 Noahs, would be 17 feet along the diagonal ridgeline (again, check my suspect math)

I do understand that a hexagonal sil-nylon custom hammocking tarp would be ideal, but that cost is not yet in the cards.

Still looking. If/when I see a Noahs 9x9 on sale for $36 with a 20% discount at REI, Steep & Cheap or etc I will probably drop the hammer and see how it works. It is no question it is larger in every dimension than the OEM rainfly that came with that hammock.

Still, it is a shame no one makes a small-ish urethane coated nylon or polyester parawing, with true wind shedding catenary cuts, at a reasonable price.

EDIT: Hammocking son is home for a visit, and plans to take a solo tent next weekend. Still time to look and compare.

Last edited:
I agree, the default standard hennessey tarp is too small for big wind/rain conditions. but it will work ok if you tie it low and at the correct angle. I purchased the much larger coated Hennessey tarp option for when I know much worse weather is expected. If the weather is iffy, I also have a much lighter medium size catenary cut silnylon tarp option that I often take, which works well in all but the very worst of conditions.

Take a look at this tarp. I wanted to try a hammock last year on an 8 day trip, so I bought this and a cheap hammock. I was very happy with the tarp, not so much with the hammock.

If my math is correct, no guarantees there, a 10 x 10 Noahs tarp would be 14 feet along the diagonal corners. That might be our length limit in some situations. 16 feet along that axis has proven too long too many times, with one corner of the tarp ending up wrapped around a tree. Hopefully not a sappy pine.

I see 9, 12, 16 and 20 footers Noahs tarps on the Kelty site:

https://www.kelty.com/noahs-tarp/

The next size up, a 12 x 12 Noahs, would be 17 feet along the diagonal ridgeline (again, check my suspect math)

I do understand that a hexagonal sil-nylon custom hammocking tarp would be ideal, but that cost is not yet in the cards.

Still looking. If/when I see a Noahs 9x9 on sale for $36 with a 20% discount at REI, Steep & Cheap or etc I will probably drop the hammer and see how it works. It is no question it is larger in every dimension than the OEM rainfly that came with that hammock.

Still, it is a shame no one makes a small-ish urethane coated nylon or polyester parawing, with true wind shedding catenary cuts, at a reasonable price.

EDIT: Hammocking son is home for a visit, and plans to take a solo tent next weekend. Still time to look and compare.

Why hang it diagonally? I use the noah 12 straight across the middle with a Ridgeline and it gives me a lot of coverage to put gear under etc.

Yup, Noah 9 is too small,

I have used the Noah 12 pitched square with success, just a little harder to get a tight pitch that way though... but it works.

I have the 1.9oz Hennessey hex. Works great

Jason

Oh, BTW, I agree with yknpdlr, I have used the asym standard tarp and stayed dry, heavy heavy t storm with marble sized hail at Lows lake, site selection is KEY... stayed high and dry, I was pitched over a pretty good slope, the wind didn't come in on me too bad and the slope and heavy forest duff kept the pounding rain from splashing up onto the bottom of my hammock.

when we left there were reports in Tupper of the hail damaging cars and house windows. Pretty big storm!

Jason

Why hang it diagonally? I use the noah 12 straight across the middle with a Ridgeline and it gives me a lot of coverage to put gear under etc.

A diagonal orientation seems less flappy in the wind, even without catenary cuts. And needs half the stakes and guy lines. Although weight and pack size does not much matter I am hoping for something less voluminous than a polyester 12 x 12

OK, I am convinced, not a Noah 9. Thoughts about this (Natures Hangout Hammock Rainfly)?

https://www.amazon.com/Hammock-Rain-Fly-Tarp-Lightweight/dp/B074TBWH5W

12 x 9. No ridgeline loops, but sil-nlyon so stronger and packs smaller than a Noah 9. It does not say what weight sil-nylon, but the close up photos of the sides and corners look well constructed.

I have a hennesy that Inhave campedout of for years. Yes, the standard tarp is too small unless you are very good in your setup and site selection. I have used a siknylon equinox tarp 8x10 and it works well for most conditions. Just make sure you align the short sides of the tarp with the short sides of the Hennessy. I sometimes tie together the first grommets and head and foot for a bit more rain protection if needed. But the way to go if you are really serious about doing hammock camping is to get or make one of the tarps with end doors. I have one of the hennessy ones and love it for handling serious blowing rain and downpours. I also recommend Warbonnet hammock tarps. See https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forum.php for a list of hammock and tarp companies.

Mike,
Have you thought about just adding side extentions and end panels to your existing rain fly? They could be easily put on or taken off as needed with something like these fasteners.

After pondering the alternatives I bought this relatively inexpensive sil-nylon hammock tarp.

https://www.amazon.com/Hammock-Rain-Fly-Tarp-Lightweight/dp/B074TBWH5W

I just got it out to have a look. Initial impressions, right outa the bag:

The hammock fly is slightly heavier sil-nyon that the OEM fly on the ultra-light Backpacker Hennessey, and everything, including the stuff bag and stake bag, is made of the same weight sil-nylon.

The OEM stuff bag seemed voluminous for the factory folded tarp size, but stuffing it back inside filled every inch, with barely enough room for the stakes, and that was without any attached guy lines. That bag could be tight once the tarp is outfitted.

After I have done a test set up I need to ponder seating a ridgeline grommet in the end of a hammock stuff bag, and adding prusiks and clips for ridgeline ease. I do like the simplicity of that system.

Not that bag, something a bit longer and more hand-accommodating while stuffing. One of the nylon bags saved from a small defunct folding chair might be perfect, and could even accommodate the snake skinned hammock in that same skinny linear bag.

The tarp came with four knock-off Groundhog stakes, which are acceptable, and reflective guy lines, which, despite being reflective, are not.

Why Not? Once again, black, yes black, freaking guy lines. They are decently reflective, but why black guy lines, why? What kind of Goth tripping gear world is this? Yellow, orange, even fuchsia; anything but daylight invisible black dammit.

The stitching on the tarp looks good, and is double stitched on all of the high stress corner tie outs. The single center seam is nicely taped underneath. Decently and thoughtfully sewn and sealed.

The line lock doohickies integrated onto all 6 guy line points were a bit of a mystery until I fed some line through. Not sure if I like them of not; they do present the line tensioners conveniently at the tarp tie corners, and will accommodate 3mm Glo-wire. We shall see once I attach guylines and set it up.

Another order of yellow Glo-wire should arrive in a day or two. There is no sense doing a test set up with that tarp until I have the (not-black) guy lines I want, which leads to another hammock hanger question or two.

How much line length should I use off each end of the high apex corners? And how much length for each of the four side guy lines? I do not need to be cutting Glo-wire too short, or over long, though better the latter.

Those line lock doohickies are what my new tarp has. They do adjust nicely but then the dillema is how much line to leave on. No porch mode you only need a couple feet at most.
Do you want a porch mode? Then you will need a lot. I think I will put a loop on the peg end and attach with a micro biner, s-biner or something similar, then for porch mode I can add another line to get the side up over the poles. Weather coming in? Undo the poles and the biner is there to attach to the tarp pegs.

Mike, this system has worked well for me in the ADK..

Main ridge line - continuous- 2.2mm zing it, 30'

4 side tieouts- yellow braided Mason line, 8' each.

I am trading out the Mason line for some 1.7mm zingit as soon as I get around to buying it. I like the waxy no tangleness of that stuff, and its yellow. I rarely use the hammock as a hang out so mostly its pitched in a high A-frame with the entry side much higher than the back side. Rarely I have added spare line to both high side tieouts to send over a neighboring hammock trap when set up in tight quarters.

I like the loop on the end idea for attaching the extension lines. I'll be stealing that for sure! Thanks bcelect!

Jason

I use an OES McCat Standard on my Hennessy most times... It's cat cut, but was only about $100... not sure they're made anymore. Another good option is a Bushcraft Outfitters 10x10. You could also get a cheap one from CampMor and trim it to size (diamond), then hem it yourself.

I like the Hennessy stock diamond for light backpacking trips when I'm moving every day. I prefer the McCat when I'm going to be in one place for a bit (easier to be rainbound under a larger tarp.)

Back