• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Hanging Around - Hammock Questions

Reaction score
I've been intrigued by the prospect of hammocks for a while but have a perfectly fine tent so I have not had an immediate need for a change. However, as I get older sleeping on the ground is becoming tougher even with a self inflating air mattress. I am looking for specific experiences and your perceived pros and cons. I'd love to be able to try a few before buying because dropping $300 for something I can't sleep in would suck.

There is side entrances and there is end entrances some are zippered some are gravity closing. Which ones do you prefer and what are some of the problems with each?

The prices vary widely from $40 to $800 and while I understand you get what you pay for I wonder if an $800 single person shelter is money well spent. I travel mostly in Woodland Caribou Park and would almost certainly need to bring some sort of insulation layer whether it be an Under Quilt or preferably something that works with my existing air mattresses.

Red - I slept many years ago in an old fishnet type hammock made out of plastic. I was using it when I was young and broke. Eventually I had to have the "cool" equipment so moved into a tent as well. Now that I'm older (I'll be 62 in April) I decided it was time to lighten my pack so I've gone back to a hammock and tarp set up. The hammock I use is from a company called BIAS (it stands for Butt In A Sling). Like most hammock manufacturers they are a small cottage industry. My hammock, the Micro-Weenie, weighs in about 12 oz. total with the hammock and all the suspension lines. I don't mind tying knots so I've eliminated minor amounts of weight by not using a variety of clips, etc. to tie up my hammock. My tarp is fairly large (10'x12') and has ends that allow me to either close it off to the weather or keep it open for air flow. The tarp was made by a company called Warbonnet and the model is the "Super Fly" if I remember correctly. The tarp's weight is one pound so between the hammock and tarp I come in under 2 pounds total weight. When the bugs are flying, or apt to be, I bring a homemade bug net made from curtain sheers. You can also pick up old military surplus bug nets and drape that over your suspension line as well. I prefer the DYI bug net because it weighs less and hugs the hammock more. Here is a link to the video where I found out about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQRoEpK-7SY

As for pricing; if my memory serves me correctly the hammock and suspension was about $50.00. The tarp was a Christmas gift so I'm not sure what that cost but you can check it on the Warbonnet website. As for the DYI bug net, that was a total of $15.00 dollars and time. On the whole, it was a pretty inexpensive move back into hammocking.

Besides the option I just laid out you can also check out all the hammock DYI websites for making your own hammock out of a bed sheet and other relatively inexpensive alternatives. As for tarps, there many more out there that cost less but also tend to have less total coverage so you'll have to decide what's best for you.

Regarding bug protection; I knew for myself that I didn't want a hammock where I had to zip in to be out of the bugs. While it hasn't happened often, I have had zippers fail when on a trip so if that's my only bug protection and it goes down, I'm down with it. The DYI bug net is pretty easy to make and if you don't sew, there's always the military bug net option as well. The military option is a bit bulkier in your pack but it still works and there's no zipper to fail.

Since you mentioned insulation, I decided in the beginning to use a pad instead of an underquilt. First off, I still do a lot of backpacking so I was looking to cut costs where I could. Besides, there's always that one canoe campsite where the trees are small or too far apart so you still may have to go to the ground some night. When that occurs, an underquilt is useless but a pad still works. I use a Therma-Rest with very little inflation; a couple of puffs at the most. While it was a bit of a learning curve at first, after about a week I got the hang of it and can now sleep comfortably throughout the night. I've been in some pretty intense thunder & lightening storms in my set-up and have remained snug as the proverbial bug in a rug. During the colder weather I've been comfortable down to the low teens with my down sleeping bag and pad under me. All I did was add a fleece cap and some lightweight wool underwear. I did wake up one morning wondering what happened to my tarp and realized it was hanging low due to the snow we'd gotten that night. I was still warm and had a great night's sleep so it all worked out in the end.

One last thing, the other nicety I've discovered while hammock camping is I can suspend my watch, headlamp and glasses immediately overhead on my suspension line each night. This puts these important items in a handy location where I know I'll always be able to find them if needed. I know it may not sound like much of a big deal but this little option has served me well every night I've been out.

I guess that's all for now. Best of luck in finding what best suits your needs. I know that while I still will get into a tent from time to time, the transition back to a hammock has been a great adventure and led to many nights of blissful sleep. I hope that you too will find this for yourself.

Until next time...Be well.

snapper

PS - One "pro" I didn't mention...you never wake up in a puddle when sleeping above the ground!

My two cents

I bought a Hennessey probably 15 or more years ago (back when they were yellow & blue). First night I froze due to no under insulation. But I realized that it was comfortable to my back.

Gave that one to a niece who was in the Peace Corps in central America and bought myself an Explorer. Also HH's under insulation system. Worked pretty well.

Then decided to buy a Clark NX-250. This has been my go-to rig for shoulder season hanging due to the integrated storm cover. The sewn-in pockets work OK if properly stuffed with spare clothing, but I usually use one of my Hammock Gear underquilts (good folks to deal with). The Clark is pricey, but is domestically made and is a rather complicated design.

The end opening of the HH works for me, but I wanted to be able to unzip the netting when not needed. I bought a Warbonnet Black Bird with a double bottom. You can slide a closed cell or partially inflated ThermoRest between the layers for back warmth. But again, I usually use an UQ. I really do like the WBBB.

I bought an Exped Ergo Combi hammock on closeout, but have yet to spend a night in it. I am at the upper weight limit and I believe that it is a rig for a much smaller person. Probably going to sell it on Hammock Forums this spring.

And lastly, I just ordered a Warbonnet Ridge Runner bridge hammock. Tried one out last year and was impressed. Do I sound like I have an obsession with hammocks?

Do some research on Hammock Forums. Are you a back or a side sleeper? I can side-sleep in my Clark and WBBB hammocks. The new WBRR should be a good side-sleeping rig. I have never had a zipper problem in the Clark or the WBBB.

Lastly, you can outfit yourself with a fine rig for well under $300. Again. Hammock Forums is a great place to start looking. There are many for sale hammocks and tarps available.

Jim

I have a Clark with separate fly and head net opening and Clark underquilt. 10 years and I prefer it to all others. this is my second Clark. they are great to deal with. Under insulation is a must,for me even 50deg without is cold. I like to be able to see out while in it and others don't allow that. I use a bigger (crazy tarp) when going heavier for a front rain proof porch. The only time I take a tent is if I'm camping with my lovely wife.
Turtle

Turtle is correct about needing under insulation in 50 deg temps. Amazing how cold one can get at that temp. Commonly referred to as "CBS" (Cold Butt Syndrome)
Jim

I move so much through the night because of dead arms or whatnot from sleeping on the ground. I was looking at an interesting design called the Jacks R Better which creates a flat hammock. Then came across Amok which is another neat design and favours side and stomach sleepers. The Amok is not yet for sale and looks like a excellent design other than the bug protection part of it. The bug net needs to be off of it before getting in and out. Great responses so far, thank you.

I only have experience with a couple cheap hammocks and a War Bonnet Blackbird. Very happy with the Blackbird. I like the integrated bug netting so that everything sets up at the same time and very quickly. Have had no problems using the stock suspension system. Very comfortable. I like the foot box and the little "shelf" for hat, glasses, headlamp, book, etc.

Mine has the double layer bottom so you can slip in a sleeping pad but I've gone to an underquilt and it's like heaven. I don't think the sleeping pad would have been so bad if I could have found something wider but all mine are the typical narrow ones and I always seemed to be sliding off at the shoulders or feet in the middle of the night and it was hard to get it back in place while you're laying in the hammock. In a way the pad is nice because it helps keep the hammock spread open better. I put off the under quilt for a long time because I hated to spend that much $$$ but it was well worth it.

I've used it in WCPP and a couple nights it was hard to find a good spot to hang. Small trees oddly spaced and little topsoil. One night in particular I got it all setup between the only two trees in the campsite that were suitable but when I sat down everything sagged noticeably. When I looked at the trees you could see them lean and the roots heaving as they started to be pulled out of the ground. I had to go farther into the woods to find some trees that were better anchored.

But on the flip side the first night I was in the park I was unable to find a campsite before dark as I didn't have any marked on my maps and I wasn't accustomed to looking for them. So as dusk was approaching I cruised the steep shoreline until I found a narrow flattish area right next to shore with a couple well spaced trees. In under 10 minutes the hammock and tarp were up and I at least had a place to sleep for the evening.

Alan

Red:

The JRB Bear Mountain hammock you mention is a fine hammock. It is of the "bridge" type and favors side-sleeping. Jacks R Better is a fine company to deal with.

Jim

I bought a Warbonnet Blackbird, I made an underquilt from an Army poncho liner and have an old, little use hiking tarp for cover. I'm still tinkering with the setup and will continue to put money into it because I sleep a lot better in the hammock, when the underquilt stays in place.

Like JSaults, I've tried a few hammocks. For a few years I used the Warbonnet Outdoors Blackbird hammock.

Pros: well made; comfy; has extra fabric where your feet naturally end up if you are lying correctly on a diagonal, and so there is less pressure on your feet; integrated bug net; a "shelf" to put some gear out of the way; double layer bottom to take a pad; you can guy it out for a more spacious feeling; the ridge line is great for hanging your glasses; it's pretty easy to find two trees and hang where there is no tent pad or campsite; no puddles of water; fairly light, though bug net and double layer start to add up.

Cons: stuff will slide under your butt; pillow -if you use one - pretty much needs to be attached to ridge line or will end up under you; unlike a tent, no place to spread out your gear on the floor...pretty much just for sleeping; can be very finicky, difficult to set up perfectly each time, feet too high or low, etc.; part of hammock that is not on the pad can get cold, surprising you when you throw an arm or leg off the pad in the night; under quilts are expensive, especially if good quality down; under quilts can also be finicky, difficult to tighten just right to envelop you without squashing the down loft; some people find it uncomfortable on the knees, calves or feet---the "calf ridge" of tight fabric can be bothersome, even though your back feels better than any bed...

I went on to buy a Jacks R Better Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. Unlike the gathered end hammocks, this one permits you to lie straight down the middle of the hammock. Think of it like a pop can cut lengthwise in half. Very flat, especially with a pad. Problem was I felt like I was in a coffin, the sides were so high. I was used to the great visibility a typical hammock affords you.

Finally settled on a Warbonnet Ridgerunner Bridge Hammock. Much better visibility. I can see everything in the campsite and beyond, except behind my head. Very wide at the shoulders. A keeper. Heavy (compared to the Blackbird) because bridge hammocks require poles to set up, and expensive, but a good night sleep is worth it to me. I find myself quietly giggling in anticipation of a cozy sleep sometimes.

One thing to think about is that if you are tripping in the boreal it will be hard to find appropriate trees in places, as the trees are more like sticks. I'd use a pad so you can go to ground, or just use your hammock in more southerly forest types.

Hammock Forums can be overwhelming with information, though the folks are really friendly. Recommend checking out Derek Hansen's site The Ultimate Hang and reading his book if you are interested.

Last edited:
Re: end entrance or side entrance: Hennessy Hammocks started with the bottom entry self closing model. They now offer side entry models. Generally side entry makes more sense to be able to use your hammock as a chair, spread out your sleeping bag, etc. Some folks swear by Hennessy. I've never tried one, but have heard the flaw is in connecting the tarp to the hammock line...tarp is never taut due to hammock weight. You're better off with a separate tarp.

Red, if you buy an expensive hammock and don't like it, you will be able to sell it pretty quickly on Hammock Forums at very little loss.

Last edited:
That is some excellent info, the feedback on the JRB Bear Mountain is just the kind of info I was looking for. I am almost certainly not going to be able to see any hammock before I buy let alone climb in and get the feeling like you mentioned. I am not so set on using it as a chair as I now have a lightweight chair I carry along (the name is escaping me right now memory is faltering lately) I think I will take a harder look at the Warbonnet brand.

Red I'm a hammock camper also. I'm 57 and have back issues and there is no way I could sleep on the ground anymore. Hammocking saved my camping. I use my thermarest pad under me to keep warm and for additional comfort. I use a Hennessy with the bottom entry and find it easy to get in and out of. I sleep better in my hammock then in my bed at home. Dave

Also I like the fact that it has to rain a heck of a lot before my arse gets wet.

Last edited:
It looks like some people like hammocks.
What do you do when you have a rainy layover day - or three?

It looks like some people like hammocks.
What do you do when you have a rainy layover day - or three?

I solo trip so same thing I would do if I had a small tent.

Another thing I like is I don't have to find level, smooth, unrocky ground. Just two trees. And if I can't find two trees I could sleep on the ground on my thermarest like the ground campers do and be no worse off than them.

Red, here are some pics from last trip.
12665_682557991778724_1696950773_n.jpg
1457542_682558825111974_1129824985_n.jpg
563097_682559145111942_1546914468_n.jpg
1391515_682559388445251_759826786_n.jpg

I sleep on my side in my Clark easily. It zips totally open on both sides and you can totally fold the netting back giving an open rest when bugs aren't a problem. I tried various insulation pads inside-totally awful. I camp mostly in the ADKs and never had a problem finding hanging spots,in fact some beautiful campsites with poor level spots for tents are fine for a hammock. It also makes it much easier if your camping where there is no cleared campsite. As said if it rains I sit and cook under the fly. I have had 6 fellow campers who had small tents under my big tarp one rainy trip. A separate fly is a big plus as you can take big or small and when it rains string it up first arriving and leave it last when leaving allowing
a dry setup and take down. Love it. Turtle

Rippy, for some reason the pictures from your last trip look familiar. I suppose they could be from any of 1,000 campsites, but I'm reminded of Lake Three and Disappointment Lake in the Boundary Waters.

Rippy, for some reason the pictures from your last trip look familiar. I suppose they could be from any of 1,000 campsites, but I'm reminded of Lake Three and Disappointment Lake in the Boundary Waters.

Basswood lake campsites in the Fall when the crowds thin out.

Back