• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Canoe camping mattresses 2018

Reaction score
On our last trip we had an Exped Synmat 7 and it blew out a baffle.. This has happened to us three times.. It herniated in the middle providing an exquisite experience of sleeping on top of the hill. Of course we lessened the air in it. to reduce the size of the mountain. We were beach camping but beach camping is not soft when there is a solid base of shells.

So I come home intent on research for a less prone to rupture mattress. Each Synmat has lasted about 50 camp sleeps. Otherwise its comfy and warm and stays put

Lo when I get home I find that we do have an extra Synmat so the need to purchase is not imminent. But sooner or later this one will separate a welded seam too. ( the trip we took in 2015 was actually two trips and the blowout was on the first trip. We were doing a second trip near Killarney and had to purchase a new mat in Sudbury.. We got a Sea To Summit Comfort Plus which promises only to half leak if the baffles fail.. I had written to Exped and they sent us a replacement.. ( that was home this trip and I had forgotten about it)

Anyhoo.
I am looking for a pad that:
1: has an R value of 5 or more
2. Does not slide around on the floor ( the Sea to Summit one is like a greased pig)
3.Has some sort of baffle design that if one goes, is not encouraged for all to go
4. Is 2.5 inches thick. 20 in wide is OK. 25 is better

I'd love ideas and also to hear what works for you. Weight isnt an issue but I'd like it under 2 lbs

I have a Klymit insulated Static V that I've used a bit. It's 23" wide, claims an R-value of 4.4. So far it's been nice (nicer than my BA Insulated Sand something or other). It does have a singular channel, so if the valve blows, so does that night's sleep.

Not 2.5, only 2" thick, the Thermarest Trail Pros have done well for my wife and I.
Very comfortable, medium price, reasonable weight, easy self-inflation, durable and the new ones appear even better with the added air bolster.

Last edited:
I have added a third Thermarest to my quiver, the most recent being the Basecamp. I know, this flies in the face of oz counting conventional logic, however as I get older the weight matters less and the comfort matters more. 2.2 lbs in standard configuration.

Only 2" thick but with the R rating you are looking for it is a very nice addition. It sticks in place on my inside ground sheet and my nylon bags stick to it very well. It has handled my dogs claws with no issues. A bit bulkier than I would like. the addition of a compression sack on other gear brings my total pack volume back where it was.

I am 260 lbs and it keeps me of the ground just fine.

LOL. I can't go retrogrde. Long ago we had the Basecamp and as we were doing lots of portaging got something skinnier and less bulky. We sold them for $25 each.
So I cant go pay full price again for the same thing..
Timing is everything

Last edited:
After getting frustrated with incontinent inflatables, I've gone full retro to ridgerest closed cell foam. However, since the ground isn't getting any softer, I now bring two (2). I put one between the footprint and the tent floor, and the other one under my sleeping bag as usual. Those things only weigh 15oz each, I could bring three for the weight of some of those deluxe gas bags. Also, foam has many uses around camp, and they're even extra floatation in the boat.

I've been lucky with my Syn7 but I've sure heard a lot of tales echoing your experience, Yellowcanoe. I feel bad as I was one of the ones suggesting that air pad when you were gathering opinions at an earlier time.

I've since gone back to my Neo Trekker. I don't seem to joint-dive the horizontal tubes as much as with the verticals. I'm a bit over 6'-2", a bony 175 lbs thus use the wide long version. The lower R rating hasn't been an issue for me but I seldom get below the upper 20s during my adventures these days. The 2.5" pad keeps me off the ground quite nicely which I find of more value for a good sleep than higher insulation ratings.

I still have the Syn7 but I should probably just sell it as I didn't use it all last season. I also have a Neo ultralight pad but its noisy enough that it can even wake me up sometimes ;) The Neo Trekker is much less intrusive in that respect.

Neo Trekker.. Is it slidy? I hate rolling around and having the mattress take off usually up the sidewall of the tent

I've been lucky with my Syn7 but I've sure heard a lot of tales echoing your experience

I have heard those tales from friends using inflatable sleeping pads of that ilk as well.

I understand the attraction of a pad that packs down to 5 x 8 size for backpacking or managing to stuff in a kayak hatch, and the sub 2 lb weight is attractive for folks who do a lot of portaging, but the failure tales would dissuade me from using one unless necessary for weight or packing size.

We have ThermaRest Base Camps that are going on 20 years old, R5 and still going strong, those are less than 3 lbs. When I wanted more cushion for my old bones I upgraded to a ThermaRest LuxuryMap, 3 inches thick, weighs just over 4 lbs and is rated at R 6.8.

https://www.thermarest.com/mattresses/camp-comfort/luxurymap

Best nights sleep I have ever had in camp.

About the slippery, I am not a fan either. Plus I most often have a sleeping bag simply draped over me, and resting on a plasticky surface is not my idea of dream time.

I received a ThermaRest fitted sheet a couple years ago as a gift. The previous iteration of this

https://www.thermarest.com/camp-quilts-and-tech-blankets/sheets-couplers-accessories/synergy-sheets

That solved the slippery and sticky issues, feels nice on the skin, and I have already washed it a few times post sweaty trips or to get the red desert dust off.

I would never have bought that pricey fitted sheet for myself. But I would now.

I am wondering if Ex-ped solved their baffle failures by getting rid of the ball inside the deflation plug. It prevented a rapid deflation if the plug came loose in the night but probably really stressed the seams when I pushed the air out before rolling it up. My last replacement did not have the ball. I had the Downmat 9.

I had written to Exped and they sent us a replacement
My last replacement did not have the ball. I had the Downmat 9.

I will grant the sleeping pad manufacturers this much. Everyone I know, myself included, who has had a sleeping pad defect failure has received a replacement pad.

Slumberjack, before they stopped making sleeping pads, replaced the same one three times after it, and each subsequent replacement, developed a massive delamination bubble in very few actual nights sleep. Uncomfortable sleep.

On our last trip we had an Exped Synmat 7 and it blew out a baffle. This has happened to us three times.. It herniated in the middle providing an exquisite experience of sleeping on top of the hill.

I hear you. Sleeping atop a mattress bubble bulge is not my idea of comfort. I will pay some weight and size penalty not to ever do that again.

The only Thermarest failure we have ever had was from three tiny slow leak punctures, tightly spaced at the shoulder area. Almost certainly from a greenbriar thorn buried unseen in the sand. I could not find the leaks in the field and had to reinflate the mattress a couple times a night, but ThermaRest found and patched them for a small fee.

There is a lot of that pin prick puncture stuff in some places I camp, greenbriar, sand spurs, sharp shell fragments, etc. I have pondered making a fitted underside sheet in the same design from some puncture proof heavy packcloth or canvas, specifically for use in those areas.

That sleeping pad fitted sheet design is pretty simple, diagonal cut outs at the corners and a couple of webbing straps side to side across the middle to hold it tightly in place. A little material and a little sewing, which I do not do, could make one for a lot less than 30 bucks.

Been Using an EXPED Downmat 7 for 8 years. On the aluminum floors of C17s travelling overseas in tents, boats, log lean to floors. Mine has been amazing,.with not even a pin hole.

We've had 6 or so down mat over the years( I bough one of the first one comping to Canada) and all of them never lasted for more than 2 years. They replaced them on warranty, but not a reliable option in my book. I have a Thermarest Neo air Dream and that think is the best mattress I have used so far, not the lightest, or the smallest, but not bad when you consider the durability and confort it provide! In the winter time, I added a layer of reflextit to the bottom and man that makes for a warm mattress!! I highly recommend it!!

Karin has the Neo Air Dream also and she really likes it. We have not torture tested it though so cannot comment on durability. The comfort level is excellent though.

After getting frustrated with incontinent inflatables, I've gone full retro to ridgerest closed cell foam. However, since the ground isn't getting any softer, I now bring two (2). I put one between the footprint and the tent floor, and the other one under my sleeping bag as usual. Those things only weigh 15oz each, I could bring three for the weight of some of those deluxe gas bags. Also, foam has many uses around camp, and they're even extra floatation in the boat.

Me too. I tried some of the new kind and did not like them at all.
Erica

I'm thinking ultralight cot like the Thermarest one and an evazot closed cel foam mattress!

I'm thinking ultralight cot like the Thermarest one and an evazot closed cel foam mattress!

I have watched people assemble two different versions of that style cot in the field. I am way too lazy to diddle that that many parts and pieces when making camp. Both had some practice at assembly and it was still comical to watch.

One poor guy who had to assemble it under a crowded tarp in the rain, which was inconvenient for him and the folks forced out to the edges, although they did enjoy the show.

The other unfortunate soul had a side entry tent, and getting the tarp into the tent was a two person job that required considerable finagling and zipper stress. Probably best with an end entry tent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7WmRe-zbrg

I make that 31 separate parts and pieces. No way am I kneeling on the ground with a bag of parts doing tinker toy assembly and wondering WTF when wrong when some half twist was assembled with a pole in wrong hole.

One of the things I appreciate about a self inflating sleeping pad is the mostly self part. Especially times when I can just unroll the pad and set it out in some sunny spot. By the time the tarp and tent are up the pad is 90 perfect self inflated and I can finish it off with a couple puffs of air.

Even if I forget to make my bed I can inflate a pad while I am inside the tent. Assembling a cot inside a tent would make a wonderful video. I suggest this soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnHmskwqCCQ

You also don't know how fast I lose little pieces!

I wonder if the cot parts float when they fall off a chickee?

Back