• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

One Way Valve for Thermarest Inflation

Thanks for this. Since I first watched the tutorial back in December I've pondered my choices for inflation: blow up by breath, buy a battery inflator, or do some DIY. I'm not fond of adding moist air to the pad interior, although I store our pads open year round in a dry place, and it is easily the cheapest option. A battery powered puffer is attractively simple, tho adding a plastic gadget to our gear isn't. I'm not a keen DIYer, so we'll see about that too. Is your post a coincidence I recently purchased inflating Thermarests? ha. In any case, my wife and I are looking forward to a much more cushy comfortable sleep. Regardless how we inflate the pads, it'll be good. Thanks Bothwell.

Thanks for the video, it has inspired me to think about my situation for inflating a mattress.

Leveraging your pump sack idea I was able to drop 1.6 pounds from my carry - ditch the little pump and 4 D cell batteries weighing in at 31 oz.

I purchased an Exped Schnossel pump sack on sale. Wasn't sure if it would fit the valve of my Klymit pad, but took a chance and bought it. It didn't fit.

IMG_3051 (2).JPG

However, but it turns out a 3/4 inch heater hose will mate the sack and mattress.

IMG_3053 (2).JPG

That bag and hose assembly weighs in at 5 oz. Takes 1.5 bags to inflate the mattress.

IMG_3055 (2).JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3051 (2).JPG
    IMG_3051 (2).JPG
    310 KB · Views: 0
Glad you have found a new system. Does the schnozzel sack have a one way valve or maybe you have worked out a way to stop the air coming back out of the mat in between fills? I always seemed to struggle to fully inflate the Thermarest mats using the std bag they supply.

Glad you have found a new system. Does the schnozzel sack have a one way valve or maybe you have worked out a way to stop the air coming back out of the mat in between fills? I always seemed to struggle to fully inflate the Thermarest mats using the std bag they supply.

The schnozzel sack does NOT have a one way valve with it. However, that isn't a show stopper for me. The pump bag does almost all the work; 2 or 3 breaths are all it takes to firm the mattress up. But the check valve would be a step up. Time too see if I can add that to the mix

I'm new to the inflatable mattress scene, for many years I've been using a self inflating mattress. Trying to shrink my pack volume I've opted to go the inflating mattress route. So I'm now able to shrink both pack volume and weight.

Glenn, good suggestion to search you tube. Had I done so I could have saved some $$ on the pump sack. This looks promising. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VGW_b-sdGRc

This is my latest version.

Thermarest Adaptor by bothwell voyageur, on Flickr

As I`m using this with my winter mat as well as for summer I like the way it entirely eliminates the need for any top up breaths. That was always a problem with that mini-pump. Fortunately I never paid even close to retail for the one I have.

The other bonus is that used with a lightweight dry bag it also gives you a way of easily venting excess air from from inside the bag that automatically seals itself. The valve fits through from inside so is held firmly in place during use. Not sure if I would trust it for my sleeping bag though!

This is my latest version.

Thermarest Adaptor by bothwell voyageur, on Flickr

As I`m using this with my winter mat as well as for summer I like the way it entirely eliminates the need for any top up breaths. That was always a problem with that mini-pump. Fortunately I never paid even close to retail for the one I have.

The other bonus is that used with a lightweight dry bag it also gives you a way of easily venting excess air from from inside the bag that automatically seals itself. The valve fits through from inside so is held firmly in place during use. Not sure if I would trust it for my sleeping bag though!

Hahaha, happy I got the latest version!!

Back