• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

top quilt

I've been doing that for the past year or so. Seems to work ok. Haven't slept in an honest to goodness sleeping bag in years so I can't give a direct comparison. The top quilt I used in my hammock was too narrow for ground sleeping so I had to get a wider one. Still have issues with gaps at times when I toss and turn but for the most part it's good. There are little hooks on the quilt that can attach to or around a pad to keep that from happening but I haven't messed with it.

Alan

I use down top and bottom quilts with my hammock. I can go to ground if needed, by using a Cabela's self inflating pad (from pre hammock days), and my top quilt. My hammock is a bridge with double layers, and found that the pad inserted between layers works great to flatten out the lay. Un-inflated, with valves left open, and run a normal under quilt below the pad. Have never felt the cold from the underside. Pad travels with the hammock, compressed and rolled into its own bag, unless space is tight, or weight is an issue. If without the pad, I just use a normal under quilt for the bottom insulation.

Prefer to hang, but there have been times when having the pad with me has allowed going to ground with my top quilt.
My pad is a Cabela's Alaskan Guide, 30" X 80", and is 2.5" thick, with an 6 R-Value.
I like the big pad, as the lightweight back packing pads are just to small for me to have a comfortable sleeping experience.
I bought my top quilts extra long and extra wide, with the enclosed foot-box, and they work great with either the hammock or just the pad.

Last edited:
The bag I use can be turned into a top quilt and I really like it that is how I use it most of the time other then when it is really chilly!!

I use a mummy bag like a top quilt both in my hammock and on the ground. I rotate it unzipped so the opening is on the bottom, stick my feet in the pocket, and the rest is a quilt over me. This gives the freedom of a quilt without cold feet caused by them getting uncovered.

I used to use my down sleeping bag like a quilt because I get too warm when I'm in it. As of last year I purchased a 20 F top quilt from Hammock Gear because it eliminated the hood, zipper and a lot of weight. I got the wider one due to the issues that Alan mentioned above. Now I can use it regardless of whether I'm in my hammock, on the ground under a tarp, etc.

On a slightly different subject; I would definitely recommend the fine folks at Hammock Gear if you're going to go this route. I would encourage you to call them with any questions you may have as they are more than willing to talk with you about your needs & desires in a quilt. I now have both a top & under quilt from them and wouldn't purchase from anyone else at this point. If you're interested, here's their website: http://www.hammockgear.com/

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

I use a mummy bag like a top quilt both in my hammock and on the ground. I rotate it unzipped so the opening is on the bottom, stick my feet in the pocket, and the rest is a quilt over me. This gives the freedom of a quilt without cold feet caused by them getting uncovered.

Here, here!!! This is about all I have used for years...during winter camping when the stove dies down, I typically have a hooded primaloft jacket on over my woolies and a 200wt fleece blanket that keeps the openings to a not so chilly minimum. Zipper is usually (in winter temps) closed to below knees, the rest of the year, its' fully open to the footbox.

A bit late to the party, but better late than never I guess.

I have a Burrow 40 from Hammock Gear and although that seems a little "light" on paper it is is solid at 5C (40F), in fact I have used it at 2C and still been OK.

The size of the carry sack is unbelievably small at ~8" x 10" and at well under a pound ... it saves a lot of room in the pack. Combined with my Exped Downmat, i can use the combination in a standard tent, Exped hammock or Tentsile Flyte.

Aside from size and weight, the top quilt also gives you a lot of freedom to move legs and arms about, even to poke them outside if you get a bit warm ... they are definitely a good option and worth considering.

Brian

Better late than never I guess. If you are a big guy like myself you may want to opt for a custom made wide one if you are using it on the ground with a pad. A lot of manufactures have straps or clips which would make it easier to keep it closed around the pad. If you use it in a hammock a wide top quilt isn't as critical but an under quilt is necessary to prevent CBS.

Another option may be to consider making one yourself. I made a new tarp for my hammock/tent last winter. Learning to do the basic sewing isn't too bad and it opens a lot of options to complete gear you wouldn't otherwise consider.

I just purchased the down and fabric to make another top quilt in a different temp range to the one I currently have. I have it all designed and having the freedom to make it as wide or long or warm as you want is very nice.

Brian

I would recommend Little Shop of Hammocks for anyone interested in top quality hammock gear with outstanding customer service. A small Canadian manufacturer located in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. James is more than willing to work with you to ensure that you have what you want/need and with the current exchange rate American buyers will find their dollar goes a long way these days!

I've got two quilts, one double synthetic fill, and a down single. I prefer the down because it is a smaller load. I'd like to find a down quilt about 1-1/2 size so I can cover my dog better. He likes to spoon under the quilt on cold nights.

For summer canoe trips or early caribou and dall trips, we use quilts by Enlightened Equipment.
Our air mattresses are the insulated types. A very versatile system.

Been using quilts for a dozen years both single and double though until today our double has been a semi-rec bag opened up. This works fine during summer but on colder nights I was getting complaints that drafts were creeping in along the side. The bonus was that sharing a quilt had made a huge dent in the volume and weight of our gear and we were still able to camp down to freezing.

I think the drafts issue is common with quilts and largely stems from underestimating how wide a quilt you need. . I had problems trying to ground sleep with my hammock quilt so had a new 60" wide version made by UGQ and am now a happy bunny on solo trips. In light of that I bit the bullet and ordered a bright yellow Accomplice double quilt from Enlightened Equipment, arrived yesterday. A work of art! The nice thing is that even though it is wider and better cut than our semi-rec bag it is 200g lighter, due to lighter fabric and no zipper/draft tube. Two people, 20 deg F, 32 ounces. What's not to like!

Oh and they have a sale on!

Top quilt baffles vs sleeping bag baffles?

I do not have a top quilt and have never used one. But when tripping I almost always use an open sleeping bag draped over me like a quilt, it just feel right. At home we do not heat our bedrooms, and usually sleep with a window cracked even in winter, so a thick pile of heavy blankets is the chill norm.

In tripping guise our synthetic sleeping bags work better than our down bags as a pseudo top quilt when it is cold out. The heavier synthetic bags drape closer to my body, while the lighter fill down bags leave an open void along both sides /O\ , especially as a side sleeper.

Do down top quilts use a specific baffle pattern that allows the quilt to drape closer to the body?

Presuming the answer is yes, what design to look for in baffels, or other top quilt features?

Black_Fly, for your pup you could get a down throw from almost anywhere (Costco is quite well known for them) and either just let the dog do what he/she wants with it, or sew a pocket at the bottom for him/her to snuggle into. Here’s a shop on etsy that some Appalachian Trail folks have been talking about lately. They seem to do custom work, too.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/HangTightShop?ref=l2-shopheader-name

As to the original question, like others, I have switched to a quilt. I use an Enlightened Equipment Enigma, 20*. It’s been comfortable to 28*, when I fiddle with the straps. Without using the straps, it doesn’t cover as consistently and there are cold spots, so I now remember to use the straps. I got a separate hood, too. I used to use my sleeping bag like a quilt, but got cold because my head wasn’t covered. I never liked using a stocking hat, but once I got that hood, I was very, very happy. When use my quilt with a Neoair XLite and a Sea to Summit pillow, it’s as good as home.

Back