• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Gawd I love G/flex

G

I mixed up a pea sized batch of G/flex this morning and fixed two pieces of gear and two household items. Between the pea of G/flex, disposable shot glass, 30-for-97-cents teeny brush and stir stick I may have had fifty cents in those fixes.

All of which were quite minor, but flawed enough to bug the crap outa me. Much better come tomorrow.

I’m not sure how I managed boats and gear and house without G/flex. Love that stuff.

I have used G/flex on two poly boats, a Pamlico 145T and a Pamlico 160T. Both were “soloized” as decked sailing trippers, which involved removing both seats, two sets of foot/rudder pedals and installing a utility sailing thwart and raised center seat.

I used G/flex and small fiberglass circles to patch the old through-hull holes from the removed pedals.

The utility sailing thwart was installed by cutting a 5” board, angled to fit between the poly coming edges, stapling a piece of kevlar felt on the butt ends of that board, saturating the felt with G/flex and clamping it in place. When the G/flex saturated felt had cured I laid pieces of glass cloth and G/flex across the top and bottom ends of the utility thwart, lapped onto the poly hull.

10 years later the G/flex is holding firm on the hull patches and on the utility thwart, which sees considerable stress under sail as well as when the boat is tied on the roof racks. Still rock solid.

For polyethylene West System’s testing and surface prep shows “alcohol wipe and flame treat” as providing the best bond (no sanding)

https://www.westsystem.com/specialty-epoxies/gflex-epoxy-adhesion-data/

With proper surface preparation G/flex oughta work on your Disco. What needs repair?

BTW, I’ve said this before but a soloized Pamlico 145T makes a wonderful pocket tripper decked canoe and sails admirably. The soloized P160 is a bit of a barge and very heavy, but it too sails very well and holds an immense amount of gear.

Back