• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Canoe Hoist using a Worm Gear

Reaction score

I put this together to lift my canoe. My garage ceiling is 10’ so this gets up high enough to easily walk under. Complete cycle takes about 45 seconds. I welded up this bracket a few years ago to lift the hard top off my Jeep. It worked out perfectly to lift the canoe. The beauty of a worm gear is there is no catch or safety or release button. The gear stops when you stop cranking regardless of load. I removed the hand crank and rigged it so I can use a drill. It goes all the way to the floor or I can drop the boat in the bed of my truck

https://youtu.be/Mj78ZscGd8c

Last edited:
I like that, good idea. I have a couple of those canoe lift systems by RAD sportz and I only use them for long term storage, too much effort to get a wood canvas canoe up there. It would be nice to back the truck into the barn and drop the canoe onto the racks for an easy quick getaway. Thanks for sharing that.

Oh man I really like that. Great setup to lift and place anything into or onto the bed of a pickup. Thanks Al.

That is rather timely. I was just pondering such a rig the other day. I do like the sling you have.

Oh man I really like that. Great setup to lift and place anything into or onto the bed of a pickup. Thanks Al.

My lifting capacity is limited by the pulleys I used. I have one pulley at the ceiling directly above the winch and another pulley above the canoe. The winch is says it is rated for 2000lbs but the pulleys I used are not rated. My buddies boy (typical 19 y.o.) sat on the bracket and rode it to the ceiling, so I know it's good for ~200lbs, lol

"My buddies boy (typical 19 y.o.) sat on the bracket and rode it to the ceiling, so I know it's good for ~200lbs, lol"

Ha ha. I was pondering this system for my sons garage, it's tall enough to hoist stuff up into the rafters. I'll show him this in a few days when he and his family comes by for the weekend. Thanks for the heads up regarding teen joyriders. If we install it we'll have to include a locking mechanism. Anything that involves work will do the trick.

Back