• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

How would you clean it

Honestly, I'd have thrown it in the washer, then the drier and likely destroyed it. (I probably wouldn't have looked for the tag.)

Yeah, not the drier at least. The piling of fleece and synthetics is exacerbated by a heated drier. I would eventually wash it, in a load of other tripping duds, with some caution.

I wouldn’t iron it, bleach it, dry clean it or tumble dry it. I would wash it and simply hang it to dry; synthetics don’t hold much water, dry quickly and really suffer in drier heat.

Top load agitators are actually gentler with synthetics than tumbling front loaders. At a road-trip stop with laundry mat industrial front loaders I would run the whole load on some “gentle” cycle and hang the merely spun-dry fleece/synthetics in the truck to dry.

Fleece, wool blends, poly, Capilene – no drier action is the best idea.

Gore-tex fabrics on the other hand seem to DWR renewal benefit from some short/timely drier action after proper washing.

Some of these fabrics are contributing to microplastics in the environment, being a result of nanoparticles shed in the wash cycle and rinsing out through municipal waste water filters and processes. Maybe that Chinese label is environmentally correct.

Last edited:
The old way to wash outdoor clothes was to wash them by hand in cold water with Woolite. That still works for a lot of things.
I used to wear Filson oil cloth pants and jackets in the bush. You never really wash them. They get worn in the rain and that is about it.
Sometimes after a few years the pants would almost stand up in the corner.

Back